Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 08:48:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Correct amp for a Tekton Design Double Impact SE? (Read 5017 times)
Redstar
Verified Member

Correct amp for a Tekton Design Double Impact SE?
08/15/20 at 03:41:37

Hi all, I have been reading through a lot of the threads on here and really want to take the plunge and get a Decware amp. I wish I would have been hip to Decware prior to getting the speakers that I currently have and at least considered some of the options for speakers for sale by Decware. However, my Double Impacts are engaging speakers and I would sort of like to hang on to them for a bit anyway. They are 4 Ohm speakers and rated at 99dB 2.83V@1m sensitivity. I would love to hear from you all what you would consider a good match for them. I was surprised to learn that (for instance) the Super Zen Triode can actually drive large speakers. Do you think they could drive my Tektons, or would I be better served with something stronger? Eric Alexander (Tekton Designer) recommended a minimum of . . . I think it was 30 watts for a tube amp, but it seems Decware amps are deceptively powerful so I am REALLY confused.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Correct amp for a Tekton Design Double Impact SE?
Reply #1 - 08/15/20 at 04:59:51

My drivers are 99dB sensitive, and my Zen drives them louder than I need. Below is the link to a guide found on the Decware website that rates their amps volume based on speaker sensitivity.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/buyingguide.html

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #2 - 08/15/20 at 05:31:27

Hard to imagine a much better speaker for a 2 watt Zen amp then a 99 dB, 4 ohm speaker. Note that in general large speakers are easier to drive "loud" then small ones, everything else being equal.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #3 - 08/15/20 at 13:15:59

Those Tekton speakers are sensitive yes BUT they also have a complicated crossover and multiple drivers. Take this into consideration when choosing your amplifier, yes 1 or 2 watts is perfect for some speaker configurations not necessarily all despite the high sensitivity design. This has been my personal experience, I cannot speak to your exact situation and was just trying to give you some more advice to consider.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #4 - 08/15/20 at 15:49:38

I agree with Nick.  My Tannoy Westminsters are 99dB efficient but the crossover network in those speakers is rather restrictive.  While I have powered them with my 2-watt Super Zen, they sounded much better when powered by my 40-watt ZMA.  

I feel the 2-watt Zen amps are best matched with crossover-less speakers systems.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 08/15/20 at 17:53:07

Good input and advice.  My 99dB sensitive speakers have single 10" full range drivers, and are crossover less, so a crossover and multiple drivers would be more of a power take away.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 08/16/20 at 00:01:42

That makes sense. There is a difference between playing loud enough and playing well.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Redstar
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 08/16/20 at 01:52:06

Thank you everyone for your input. It is much appreciated!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #8 - 08/16/20 at 02:14:27

CAJames - Great input from everyone here, and I agree with Jeff, Nick and Geno. I started with a 2 watt Zen and bought it and built the kit to prove the concept. For me, the concept worked but when I went to order my gear I ordered a Rachael because I felt that a 6 watt single ended amp would be the best choice. It drives our Omega (single driver, no crossover) plenty loud and very well. I am not up to speed with your speakers, so my suggestion if you are going to keep your Tekton I would shoot for a little more powerful of an amp. If you're going to go single driver/no crossover the one of the might Zen's will be magical. I guess all I can really tell you is that all the Decware products that I have create a magical musical event daily. Please keep us posted on your travels here and this forum is a WEALTH of info and opinions ( and actually a heck of a lot of humor). Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print