04/16/24 at 09:02:12 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New guy here.... (Read 4703 times)
Eldergod
Verified Member

New guy here....
08/04/20 at 16:53:11

Thought I'd say hello.  Been into audio for most of my life, and have built several sets of speakers (kits and custom) with decent success (IMHO).  In fact I put together the new PE Copperhead Desktop Fullrange Speakers last weekend, and finishing up a pair of GR Research X-LS's now.  However, while most of my experience has been in SS from an amp perspective, I'm super curious about tubes paired with full range drivers.  Trying to resist the urge to jump right into a SE84UFO.  Looking forward to expanding my knowledge base.

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: New guy here....
Reply #1 - 08/04/20 at 19:37:29

Welcome!

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/06/20 at 09:53:48

Welcome! That is my setup ... tubes Taboo MK II and Zen Select with Omega single driver speakers, I'm a big fan.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 08/06/20 at 16:31:57

Quote:
Posted by: Eldergod      Posted on: 08/04/20 at 16:53:11

Thought I'd say hello...Trying to resist the urge to jump right into a SE84UFO

Resistance is futile. I say jump right in.  :)

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #4 - 08/10/20 at 00:18:15

Eldergod- Just like the song says, JUMP. So glad we did, never look back at that previous gear and miss it. Now though, I would like to get all the 25th mods done to my gear but have a tough time thinking about being with out it. Happy listening and keep us posted on your progress, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 08/11/20 at 03:05:03

Thx all. My diy Betsy’s should be up and running tomorrow. I’m counting my pennies and lusting after the SE84UFO2 with some of the mods. Probably the Bypass mod for sure. A little unsure about the beeswax cap bypass. I don’t think I fully understand the difference in the standard Cryo vs the beeswax upgrade. Any thoughts would be appreciated. No need for the stepped volume. IMO, the walnut case and gauges really step up the overall look of the unit. Come to think about it, I think I read somewhere that the gauges can be made to light up? Already stretching my budget so not sure I’d opt for that even if available.

SE84UFO2 w/25th mods, TEAC AI-2000, Pass ACA, Pro-Ject Carbon Black DC, Schiit Mani, Pioneer Elite PD-65, Gallo Reference 3.1, X-LS Encores, DIY Caintuck Betsy’s, Audio-Pro B2-40, PE SUB-800, Drop HiFiman HE4XX, Drop Senn. HD6XX, Bottlehead Crack
  IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 08/21/20 at 14:00:53

Well, it's done!  This morning I ordered my SE84UFO2 with Cap and Bypass Mods.  I'm way too excited for what will probably be a 4 month wait.....  Hopefully it'll be a slightly early Christmas present to myself, lol.  Can't wait to experience this amp!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 08/21/20 at 14:07:30

Congrats! The waiting is hard...but worth it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 08/21/20 at 16:54:05

Your new amp will be a perfect match for your Betsy's. They go together like peas and carrots Cool

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Eldergod
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 08/21/20 at 17:41:59

Thanks guys.  I'm super stoked!  I'll admit, it was hard to pull the trigger.  It's not pocket change.

I am listening as much as I can to my Betsy's now so I have a really solid reference for when it arrives.  Gotta be honest, the Betsy's are really getting better every day.  They have definitely loosened up (bloomed?) a bit.... especially in the lower midrange.  I put on a DMB Remember Two Things CD a couple days ago, and I cannot stop listening.  Honestly, I'm shocked at some of the albums I've run across that are much better recorded than I thought they would be.  And definitely disappointed with others.  But that discovery journey is part of the fun, right?!  I put on Tracy Chapman last night on vinyl... geezus.  It was unreal!

IP Logged
Tony Adams
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 08/29/23 at 03:40:49

Welcome

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print