Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:33:48 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Details on the options when buying a new SE84UFO2 (Read 3588 times)
canonken
Seasoned Member

Details on the options when buying a new SE84UFO2
08/02/20 at 16:42:23

Hi,

I am thinking about purchasing a SE84UFO2, and was trying to better understand what these three options do (both what they are literally, and what they do for the sound/performance/design of the amp).
--Stepped attenuator - adds $100
--Type II Beeswax $130
--Beeswax Bypass Mod - adds $260

Thanks,

Ken

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: Details on the options when buying a new SE84UFO2
Reply #1 - 08/03/20 at 13:01:25

Ken, I have a generic answer for you.

1. Stepped attenuator - As far as I am aware, there would be no difference in sound, it is mostly about the stepped attenuator option.
2. Type II Beeswax - This replaces the only capacitor in the signal path  with a higher quality capacitor, i.e. better sound.
3. Beeswax Bypass Mod - This does the same as #2 but in the power supply circuit. This also equates to better sound.

Art

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/03/20 at 14:07:07

Thanks!

I don't need the volume knob (I actually plan on running it off a pre-amp, which I think means just turning the volume all the way up...correct?)

Can anyone comment about the sound quality difference of the two other mods?  I know it is hard to quantify with text, but just general feelings from the community.

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/03/20 at 14:10:05

I think ArtMan did a great job explaining the options.  I'd just add, that I've read a few times around these forums that people recommend just getting the base model first, and in the future, you can always send it back to Decware to have mods done, if you desire - especially if money is tight.  

I also swear I read somewhere that Steve thinks if you can only do one of the capacitor mods, go for the Bypass Mod first, because the performance improvement is greater with that mod, than with the  Beeswax mod (or whatever capacitor upgrade you choose)

I just tried looking quick for both threads, but couldn't find them.  Definitely spend some time reading on these forums, though, and you'll probably come across them!  Good luck, and let us all know what you buy!

IP Logged
gsanger
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 08/03/20 at 14:14:23

Found it - here's the thread where Steve weighs in on the various mods:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1553391822

In regards to the volume knob - no, you don't need it, and yes, just turn it up if you're using a preamp.  Here's an interview Steve Guttenberg did with Steve Deckert, and at the beginning, Steve D. explains that he added a volume knob early on, because he was concerned people might handicap the amp with a mediocre/bad preamp, and people might return it, thinking the amp was bad!  Just some food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUvR4SPzc4k

IP Logged
canonken
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/03/20 at 14:21:56

Who is this Steve guy?  Can I trust him?  Does he know what he is talking about? Cheesy

Thanks for that link.  I guess what I really needed was your help defining what they actually were (for the two Beeswax mods...what parts they impacted).  Makes way more sense now.

This amp is more of a 'fun' thing to play with.  I have my main system, but also just built (well, assembled) the Fostex BK-12m kit from Madisound and those things are ROCKING with just a watt, so figured this would be fun.  I also have some larger tower speakers (running with a bigger tube amp or SS amp depending on my mood and how hot the weather is) that might not be the best match for this, but will be fun to try.

Thanks!

EDIT - and thanks for the video link.  It was from the 'other' Steve where I learned about this amp and this company.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print