Headphone Amplifier (Read 3043 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Headphone Amplifier
08/02/20 at 02:46:11

In the "Review of two recent recordings"
https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1593494841
Steve Deckert used 4 different headphones and said:
"Let’s just grab a third headphone.  This one is complimenting the presentation the best overall while each of the other ones did certain things better."
Then trying a fourth pair:
"This last pair I am at the back of the pool and everything sounds completely real.
     If I’ve learned anything tonight it’s why serious headphone listeners have so many different pairs."

This has me wondering:
Considering the cost of modern headphones, would it be money ahead for the listener if Decware were to build a headphone amplifier having one amp chassis with several circuits, and owning only a single set of headphones instead of multiple phones.
A listener could then plug into one of four or maybe five jacks to get the sound he wants. Or possibly the chassis has only one jack with a rotary selector switch to choose between the circuits.
Perhaps they would not need to be complete circuits. The effect may be achieved if some resistor or capacitor or something were made multiple and placed on a selector switch.  

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Re: Headphone Amplifier
Reply #1 - 08/03/20 at 19:44:14

I wouldn't doubt that Steve would consider this. Reason being that many of his amps/preamps have switches made to alter the sound presentation of the unit. It could be a different tap on transformer or different cap, etc. I had an early CSP pre that had so many options for tubes, switches and much more that it was a bit overwhelming. What sounded good for one set position, sounded wrong for another recording. I couldn't keep track. As to your suggestion, I agree that it would be much more user friendly to have a simple switch for what sort of headphone was being used.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 08/03/20 at 21:00:21

I think there's more to it that would end up being more complex than just switching a toggle between different headphones. . . .

I've ended up with there different systems, and a headphone amp in each, and the three headphones I have each work best with one of the amps. Not an ideal situation for most I'm sure, but works just right for me.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 08/04/20 at 03:47:03

I thank you both for your replies.
I think this seems like a good idea.  But I have never built an amp, so perhaps it is not as practical as it seems to me.

Brian

IP Logged
Ashtyn
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/18/21 at 05:22:22

Headphone amplifiers are nothing but a device to boost the audio in order to produce a more realistic, crisp and clear sound.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print