03/29/24 at 09:42:47 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
newb (Read 1940 times)
kevinS
Verified Member

newb
07/19/20 at 16:01:58

I'm like most newbs here, in that I've been lurking, learning and lusting these parts for some time. Back in my college days (mid 70's), there was enough $ to buy records and have a passable stereo sys. Stereo stores where places that inspired dreams and of something that that was possible. A lot of you remember those days.
                                                                                                                                    By the time I got married, my system was a Phase Liner s2, Crown pre 150, Pioneer pl-61 with a Stanton cart., Nakamichi 700 and a pair of RTR electrostatics on top of cabinets with 2 10" bass speakers per side. (i think they were specced to and built by Crown) Sounds hard by Decware standards, but there was a crystaline sweet spot that sang and left an impression. I still remember in those years walking into a stereo shop in Ft. Wayne, hearing the Ohm Walsch model F. Also a day in South Bend there was a pair of Fried (pronounced freed, for the younger peeps). Another day, the ESS AMT Heil. I still remember those impressions.                        
Priorities changed, a house and kids. While they were growing and with AOL as my magazine I found Decware via Ohm, Audio Karma and Audio Circle. Like most of you I've read Steve's papers and philosophy. Build stories, and anecdotes. Less is more, true to the music. PRaT.                                                                                                              
The best thing that ever happened to me and 5 kids later . . . to today. Kids are on their own, by default, I have moved up a few notches. I've been to the last 2 Decfests, where the impressions I had and your descriptions all came to life and then some. The sounds the gear the people. I unexpectidly came home with a pair of Betsys that first year, they work beautifully and energizes the room, still solid state. And now my sights are on a Alpha bass soon and a hi res setup this winter and a SE84UFO25 to follow. Nothing special in my story. But I know the music experience lives in and is shared by all here, each in your own way.                                                         
                                        Thanks                                                                                                                                     Kevin

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Re: newb
Reply #1 - 07/19/20 at 17:23:03

Kevin - Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info, opinions and experiences here to learn from and we expect to learn from you also. The love of music is what binds us and of course the gear it goes through to get to our ears. You are ahead of me if you've been to Decfest twice, maybe someday I will make the voyage. Happy listening and keep us posted on your adventure. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
kevinS
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/21/20 at 02:57:07

Thanks hd.  Hey, my son has been working near Watsonville for the last 3 yr.  I know Decfest would be a stretch, I've found a casual group of friendly enthusiasts there.   kevin                                                                        

IP Logged
Tony Adams
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/29/23 at 03:41:58

Welcome

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print