Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:09:00 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CSP3 Connection Theory (Read 7500 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

CSP3 Connection Theory
07/10/20 at 23:55:18

Out of curiosity, would it technically work to connect a CSP3 to a YBA solid state integrated amp?  Or does the CSP3 only work with power amps?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP3 Connection Theory
Reply #1 - 07/11/20 at 00:42:45

No reason it wouldn't work. . . it could be a line input.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
armstdav
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 07/11/20 at 03:24:18

It will work connected as Lon describes, but be careful with your levels, as preamp into a line input will result in a LOT of gain. Turn all the volume controls all the way down before you fire it up and bring them up in small increments.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/11/20 at 03:43:45

Thanks for the replies.  For the tube preamp I’m considering the following:

- CSP3 ($1339)
- Schiit Freya+ ($899)
- Linear Tube Audio MZ2 w/ remote ($1390 after 10% off)
- PrimaLuna Evo 100 Pre ($1999)

The old YBA integrated would be only for 6 months or so before getting another power amp.

After reading every review imaginable, and watching today’s interview of Steve Deckert by Steve Guttenberg, my conclusion is sonically, the CSP3 is the best for me.  The part I’m struggling with is no remote.  I must have a remote for volume.  In the interview, Steve explained why he doesn’t have them across his entire line.

I could control volume in Roon with my iPad, and I’ve only listened to music via the computer for the last 12 years, but I don’t want to feel boxed in if I break out the Ah! Tjeob CD player or get into vinyl one day.

I realize there’s the switch box plus remote for $500, and another 2 pair of RCAs to buy, so another $200. $700 feels like a lot to spend for a remote control!

That’s my struggle.  I feel the CSP3 and Linear Tube Audio MZ2 are both much better made than either the Schiit or PrimaLuna (perhaps prejudiced against China, I admit).  The MZ2 I’m guessing is more lean than Decware, and I prefer warm.

Thoughts?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/16/20 at 14:27:44

I had major concerns about no remote.

The only time I have a real issue with it is when I'm working, streaming random songs. Level matching between tracks can be an issue. I have a remote control for my DAC volume so I will nudge it up and down a little. The reality is, the more pressing issue, I stop working to listen  ;D

When I'm in music listening mode I don't even think about it.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/17/20 at 05:53:39

I'm on a different track these days.  I have a Hegel H90 integrated amp.  I don't really need a preamp, I'm only looking for tubes to add a holographic soundstage and improve the tone.  I could use the CSP3 as a tube buffer (correct me) and control the volume with the Hegel.  Is that a sane thing to do?

Thanks to advice above, I have to be careful on the gain, but that should be easily sorted.

I'm just not sure if running a tube preamp into a solid state integrated amp (thus 2 preamps) is committing some audiophile sin.....

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 07/17/20 at 06:00:41

And from a strictly new to tube guidance perspective, which combo would you guys recommend as the best introduction to the Decware Universe:

1) ZRock2 + ZBox

2) CSP3

My goal is tube magic, holographic and weight.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 07/17/20 at 15:38:48

DS, you know audio well and you would not have any issues with a CSP3 and your integrated amp.

But I think you would get the most benefit from a ZBIT and a ZROCK2.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/17/20 at 20:13:15

Thanks Lon, I appreciate your expertise.  How would you describe the benefit the ZRock2 and ZBox provide?  Thx

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 07/17/20 at 20:23:53

Being able to utilize the full voltage of your source (adjustable via the ZBOX) grants a dollop of realistic body to the sound, and also allows the dynamics to "breathe" so to speak. And the ZROCK2 will not only further enhance these characteristics but give you a wonderful control on the tonal and spatial aspects of the sound.

I would never have imagined these two would transform my system as they did until I lived with them and then learned I couldn't bear to be without them. My experience with these have been with Decware amps (SE84UFO3 Monoblocks and a Taboo Mk IV) but I have no doubt they would provide benefit to yours.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/17/20 at 20:49:43

Thank you Lon, very helpful.

The other gizmo on my radar is the Linear Tube Audio MZ2.  It’s a 1 watt integrated amp, or a headphone amp, or a lauded tube preamp.  Gets great pro and owner reviews everywhere.  The base model fits my $1400 budget.  In my simple mind, I see 4 tubes and think 4 tubes must be better than 2 tubes (ZBox + ZR2).  With zero tube experience, I think I’m getting short changed on tubes 😂

I’m guessing you’ve never heard the LTA MZ2.  I trust your overall acumen and experience.  In your opinion, would you say that for my stated sonic goals and needs (no need for preamp), that the Decware 2 box solution is better for me in general as it relates to tube audio system topography?

I’m thinking of selling my entire PS Audio rig, including the DSJ with Matrix and buy the MDHT Labs Orchid tube DAC along with the Z Twins, and mate that with the Hegel.

The DSJ is great, but I’m tired of only listening to HQ recordings!  I want something less revealing that still sounds great.

I appreciate any reflection you can provide.  The Orchid has no return policy, it ships from Linear Tube Audio in Maryland.  Would be a leap of faith.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 07/17/20 at 21:19:21

I don't really know what to say about that amplifier. I haven't heard it, I haven't really studied it online, read reviews etc. It might be great. But. . . .

Going back to your posting in the PS Audio forum if your stated goal is to find more recordings listenable, i think the one component that can accomplish this is the ZROCK2. It's designed to tailor the sound, the other amplifier is not. With the ZROCK2 you may have the best of both worlds with the DSD JR. Bypass it or just dial in a little bit for the great recordings, use the EQ more judiciously for the others. I'm waiting for the third one to get off the testing bench and come my way because I now can't have a system without one, it does what I need it to, allow me to listen to so many recordings. Mine works so well with my DSD, and my Oppo UDP-205, and I know it will with the NuWave DAC it will soon be paired with.

My advice, if you want to start off with new components, start with the ZROCK2, it may be the end of your hunt. The only bad thing is there's none sitting on a shelf at Decware ready to send to you--you have a three month or so wait.

And it doesn't really work that way with tube equipment. If the ZROCK2 needed more tubes Steve would have designed it with them, it doesn't need power tubes for example, just a signal tube and if you opt for it there can be a second rectifier tube within the chassis. In a lot of ways the fewer tubes needed the better chance there is for true fidelity if you know (or have invented!) your stuff as Steve does.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/17/20 at 21:29:15

Thanks Lon.  Do you have experience with tube DACs?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 07/17/20 at 22:17:49

Not for some time. . . the last DACs that I had with a tube was a Dynaco last century, and then last century and early this century a Decware Sony modded one and a Decware TEAC modded one. For the last ten years or so I have used PS Audio, a PWD Mk 1 that I then had upgraded to Mk 2 and then to the DSD.

A tubed output was nice but I needed better actual digital to analog conversion than these models offered, that really got better technologically this century.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/17/20 at 23:16:53

I’m intrigued by the Border Patrol and MHDT philosophy. They purposefully eschew high res.  Instead relying on the old Philips 1541 DAC chip.  MHDT goes no higher than 24/192. Border Patrol 24/96 (max for Tidal master).  No DSD. No over or upsampling.  Reviews are great for both, and so is the price.  $1075 for Border Patrol, and $1210 for MHDT Orchid.  R2R architecture. Suppose to be a more analog type sound.  Huge soundstage, great tone.

Border Patrol uses a rectifier for the power. MHDT uses a tube in the output, so two different utilizations of tubes.

PSA has the opposite approach, upsample everything to the max.  And I love the DSJ, but it doesn’t feel so natural to me. Great fireworks, and on hi res, stunning sound.

Also, Windom has been a step backwards for me.  It’s not the direction want to go.  I don’t want yet more resolving!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 07/18/20 at 00:43:06

Okay. I have the NuWave DAC in a headphone system and you can either upsample to 24/96 or go "native." I prefer the upsampled, not by much.

With the ZROCK2 I really like Windom. I really had to work to get the right "load" of Windom and tweak a bit but when I did I can't listen to Snowmass any longer. With the ZROCK2 I can benefit from all the improvements of Windom and also get the tonal balance my room and system needs.

I still think all you need is a ZROCK2. That's my stance and I'm sticking to it. Wink

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/18/20 at 01:37:23

Haha!  You may be right.  I am lured by the Border Patrol.  It has a 14 day return policy so no harm comparing it to the DSJ in house.  May the best DAC win!

My only source is Mac Mini running Roon/ HQPlayer, so I can upsample anything to 24/96.

Part of it is I have a fairly modest system.  The DSJ rig represents nearly $5000, by far the most expensive piece.  I just have an itch to try out tube stuff, and selling the DSJ makes exploration of the tube world affordable.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 07/18/20 at 01:51:04

That's cool. I don't use computers for music, I play discs. Eight years ago one of my friends, a digital engineer set up his Mac Mini in my system and showed off the resulting sound. Ultimately I preferred my discs, and I have never pursued that route. That was many discs ago! The only problem I have with discs is storage issues. I cope.

Best of luck. In your shoes I'd put in an order for a ZROCK2, get in the queue. You can always cancel, at the worst you'll forfeit a 10 percent deposit.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/18/20 at 03:28:03

Good idea, thanks.  I plan to order it soon.  Do I understand correctly that there’s a 10% deposit charged now, and the balance upon shipping?  It’s not clear on the website how Decware deals with the lengthy delay in terms of charging the card.  Or do they charge the whole thing now?

Gosh, I haven’t used CD’s for perhaps 12+ years.  Roon is an amazing way to deal with a music library. And HQPlayer has great sound.  I’m unlikely to go back to CD’s solely from a library management perspective.

I really appreciate your advice. Do I understand you correctly to just start with the ZR2 and wait on the ZBox?  Or is it best to get both? In terms of tube holographic glory?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 07/18/20 at 05:44:57

Yes, I am pretty darned sure you will be charged 10 percent on ordering, and the remainder on shipment, unless you choose PayPal which will be the entire amount on ordering.

I've been collecting cds since about '87 and I'm in this for MUSIC. I have thousands and thousands. I have no need to stream etc. If I had been impressed with the sound I might have made a move then, but . . . I'm very happy as I am with my systems, and no time to spare to rip and store etc.

Yes, I honestly think you may just need a ZROCK2, I'd at least start there unless you want to spend money and order both a ZROCK2 and ZBIT or ZBOX.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 07/18/20 at 12:15:29

Yes, the whole ripping part is an ordeal!  4,000 CD’s later, and I’m done. It was a chore.

And now there’s Tidal or Quboz that have like 6 million CD”s.  I use Tidal as much as anything and have Roon organize the library.  No need to rip there.  Roon truly is space age library management. I bought a lifetime license.  

I’m going to start with the Border Patrol SE-i DAC and see where that gets me.  Will get ZRock if it seems needed.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/18/20 at 12:58:33

DancingSea.

I agree with the sage advice Lon has offered.

I say keep the DSJ, I traded mine for the DSD SR. right before Windom was released. You might want to try to reload Windom. Windom smoothed everything out and added some warmth for me. It was the Sr. so possibly a little different on the DSJ.

A majority of my favorite music is not recorded or mastered very well. Currently I'm stuck away from home. I'm using an AQ Dragonfly Red with a Macbook.

The Dragonfly plugged right into the UFO25th it can be rough. It's a wild experience of wow and oww! You hear all the digital slop and are amazed at the same time.

Now that it's running through the ZR2 and Zstage it's an enjoyable experience. The nasties from the Dragonfly are still there, they just don't matter as much. With a high end DAC your ability to take a dry and lean recording then inject weight, life and richness into it, really is magic!

After playing some records through the ZP3 it's ruined and I need to wait a few hours before I can stand it again.   Cheesy

The point I'm getting at is the DSJ is a fine DAC and you might regret selling it in the future.

The months of waiting are rough, very worth it.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 07/18/20 at 13:13:39

DancingSea wrote on 07/18/20 at 12:15:29:
Yes, the whole ripping part is an ordeal!  4,000 CD’s later, and I’m done. It was a chore.

And now there’s Tidal or Quboz that have like 6 million CD”s.  I use Tidal as much as anything and have Roon organize the library.  No need to rip there.  Roon truly is space age library management. I bought a lifetime license.  

I’m going to start with the Border Patrol SE-i DAC and see where that gets me.  Will get ZRock if it seems needed.

OK. I honestly think you should keep your current DAC and try the ZROCK2.

4,000 cds is about an eighth of my library. I don't need to borrow music by streaming and ripping would be a silly waste of time.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/18/20 at 19:50:10

Aloha Lon & Groovy Sauce,

You guys may be entirely correct for sure.  The ZRock2 website description does give me pause.  In several places it stressed "for systems that don't have tone control".  My system does have tone control already via Roon.  I have an entire parametric EQ that I've used extensively, even with the help of forum audio engineers giving me EQ recipes. This makes me wonder if the ZRock2 is really what I need.

As Lon has probably read of my musings over on PSA, my experience with the whole upsampling DSJ (and HQPlayer) world has been that amazing recordings sound incredible.  But lesser recordings sound much worse than before the DSJ came into my system.  Many long time beloved CD's that sounded just fine prior to the DSJ, now are revealed as being mediocre.  My experience is this has painted me into a corner.  I find myself gravitating to a relatively narrow group of extremely HQ recordings and eschew lesser ones, like 80% of my long time beloved CD's.

My theory is that the DSJ is very revealing, which is well proven, it's their design goal.  And yes, very HQ recordings sound better on the DSJ than I ever thought music could.  Yet my overall enjoyment of music has decreased since the DSJ entered my audio world.

I miss just being able to play a CD and it sounding good, and enjoying the music.  Which is how it was prior to the DSJ entering my life.

This leads me to believe that for whatever reason, upsampling is just not my thing.

What attracts me to the Border Patrol is that he has an entirely different approach with the R2R architecture, the vintage Philips DAC chip, and no over or upsampling.  With free shipping and a 14 day return policy, I see no harm in at least exploring the Border Patrol.  I wouldn't sell the DSJ first, but rather do a head to head shootout.  If the DSJ wins, then I know.

But the many Border Patrol reviews (Stereophile, Guttenberg, Michael Livorgna, etc) all describe a ZRock type of full bodied sound.  My thinking is rather than use another box (ZR2) to sort of "fix" the DSJ, why not get a DAC that does what I want from the start?

It seems like a worthy exploration.  I'd only be out $20 in return shipping if the Border Patrol can't keep up with the DSJ.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #24 - 07/18/20 at 20:03:34

Okay, as a wise man I worked with used to say, "Go and be happy."

I think personally there is zero chance the Border Patrol does what the ZROCK2 does, and I think the ZROCK2 does different things than digital EQ you use. But I've stated my case as clearly as I can and often enough, and I wish you the very best on your journey of DAC discovery. Keep us posted.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/18/20 at 20:13:12

Hi Lon, I'm not disagreeing with you. The idea is to try the Border Patrol.  It will arrive in a week.  And then decide if the ZRock2 seems needed.  If yes, get the ZR2 as well.  To go in stages

Steve's production schedule makes it difficult.  I'd rather just order them all at once and see what works.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #26 - 07/18/20 at 20:31:21

My 2 cents. I have a DSJ, and it sounds wonderful on a very wide range of music. Maybe it is something else in your chain that is causing the problem. Are you using the balanced connections on your DSJ? If not, this will make a huge difference.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/18/20 at 20:39:01

Yes, I'm using AQ Colorado XLR's.  I think it's just the nature of revealing gear.  Lesser recordings will be revealed as they truly are, lesser.  Great recordings will be revealed as they truly are, greater.  I'm curious if less revealing gear can achieve a balance to my liking.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #28 - 07/19/20 at 14:05:09

My apologies. I see we covered this in another thread.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/19/20 at 21:12:33

I’ve been corresponding with Gary Dews, the owner/ designer/ builder of Border Patrol gear (tube amps, preamps, DAC, power supplies, etc).  He wrote the following to me:

“ What should come across from the reviews is the BP DAC doesn’t sound like the modern up sampling converters such as the PS Audio or Benchmark. Those DACs might have perfect lab measurements but they are unlistenable on all but a very few recordings.

I want to play all my music for hours on end and be entertained and enthralled but never fatigued or worn out. A system should invite you to listen, not drive you away.

The BP DAC has a natural, relaxed tonality. It tells you what’s in the recording without dissecting it. It is easy to listen to for long periods.”

This mirrors my high resolution experience.  I ordered the Border Patrol SE-i  DAC yesterday.  Have also asked Sarah to ask Steve about given I have the Roon EQ, if he thinks the ZR2 or ZBox would be best in my system.  Asking Steve directly via email was not successful.

Will report back here soon!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 07/19/20 at 22:24:30

Ha, I totally dispute his assessment of the PS Audio DACs, but he's selling his DAC.

Hope it does what you wish! I love my DSD and it stopped me looking for DACs. The ZROCK2 was the icing for my systems. Hope you don't need it and the BP lets you enjoy your music.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 07/19/20 at 23:05:33

It’s a worthy exploration for sure.  I believe Gary is being honest in his opinion rather than it being a way to hustle his DAC sales. It’s just a different DAC philosophy than PSA or Benchmark.  And Lord knows there are many different philosophies in the peculiar world of audiophiles  ;D

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 07/20/20 at 00:51:58

Well, his assessment doesn't match my personal experience, so I dispute it. I hope you like it!

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #33 - 07/20/20 at 01:35:59

And I think both of you are wrong about DAC's.

Anyone with any sense knows that Denafrips is the brand to go with!

Every other DAC pails in comparison. Lol

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 07/20/20 at 05:05:36

Haha!  Denafrips was on my very short list. I watched and read many reviews on the Aries II.  In the end I thought the Border Patrol would be a little smoother.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 07/20/20 at 12:41:51

DancingSea, Keep us posted. I do love my DSD and don't see a need to look for anything else, for not at least Cheesy

I've heard good things about the BoarderPatrol DAC and am looking forward to your comments on it.

When you mention having a hard time listening to poor quality recordings what really sticks out to you that makes it unpleasant?

You might want to try reinstalling the DSJ firmware on a freshly formatted usb. When upgrading to Windom took me a lot of tries to get a good load.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 07/20/20 at 13:01:51

Took me a lot of tries as well and I had to play around with gain riding and even speaker positioning to get it to be its best, but once I got there I could not go back to other firmware.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #37 - 07/20/20 at 15:21:29

All I will say is that my Denafrips Aris II is lush and full bodied.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 07/20/20 at 20:29:06

Very interesting about the Denafrips.  It would’ve been a more prudent choice for sure, only $720, half the price of the Border Patrol SE-i.  Part of it is I have this calling to get at least one tube in my chain!  Maybe it was a $700 tube, and it was a rectifier tube, but by golly, it’s a tube!

I almost got the Musical Paradise tube DAC, the D2.  On sale it’s $799.  But I got cold feet about warranty/ repair support going forward as it ships directly from China.

Also, the Border Patrol gets, FWIW, many great pro reviews, Stereophile (Herb R. And Michael Lavorgna, etc).  And I liked the notion of a high end tube amp designer hand making my DAC himself, testing it himself, similar to Decware, versus being mass produced in a Chinese sweatshop.

That was the thought process. Part practical, part romantic.

GroovySauce, I am steeped in PS Audio forum orthodoxy and have done all the Windom bad load gymnastics.  I have the “Matrix”, with external power supply, etc.  The DS approach is stunning on A+ recordings.  Truly stunning.  In my experience, it reveals the true nature of the recording.  Which is a double edged sword if the true nature of the recording quality isn’t so great.  That’s just been my experience.  It makes great recordings sound super great, and lesser recordings sound worse than they did in my pre DS days. It turned me into a bit rate snob 😂😂😂.

And I didn’t care for Windom.  For me, it was yet more “audiophile” than Snowmass.  I found it more clinical, more revealing.  It did tick many audiophole boxes for sure, but lacked the tone and feel I’m after.  For me, Snowmass was better.  

My economics are such that I can’t afford to keep the DSJ rig and explore these other avenues.  Something gots to give!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 07/20/20 at 22:52:45

Hi Lon - I heard back from Steve.  He said that both Roon and the ZRock can create the EQ shelf.  He implied there’s no difference there, or at least he didn’t express a difference.  The difference is the ZRock adds the tube stage which improves the tone.  My extrapolation is that the Roon EQ with the ZBox would be about the same as the ZRock.  It would come down to the effectiveness of a digital EQ vs an analog EQ, which is above my pay grade to determine 😂

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #40 - 07/20/20 at 23:20:18

OK. Steve knows.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 07/22/20 at 05:59:18

Lon - after much gnashing of teeth, and frankly, in large part based upon your enthusiasm for the ZR2 spread across multiple websites, I have decided to order the ZRock 2.  Just the base model.

And you are correct, if one pays on the website with a credit card instead of PayPal, it s 10% now, the balance upon shipment. Over the phone, Sarah can do the 10% down route with PayPal, just can’t do it through the website.

Thanks again for your guidance, patience and good cheer.  I hereby nominate Lon as Decware Global Ambassador!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #42 - 07/22/20 at 07:19:48

Gosh, that's good news. I'm certain you'll enjoy it no matter which DAC you end up keeping. And I'm confident you'll let us know your impressions.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 07/22/20 at 19:45:17

Does it work to use a RCA Y adapter to connect two devices to the ZRock?  For instance, a DAC and CD player?  Only playing one at a time, of course.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #44 - 07/23/20 at 00:35:55

There is a ZRock2 for sale here in the classifieds. With beeswax caps.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 07/23/20 at 20:58:04

Thanks! I was a smidge late and misjudged my negotiating tactic, someone else got it.  But I’ll be on the lookout.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 07/24/20 at 15:09:04

Can you use a Y connector for two inputs into a Zrock2? No. The more complex answer is, sort of, it depends.

ZP3 and the AQ Dragonfly. The ZP3 signal was not coming through. The Dragonfly would play with the ZP3 connected.

ZP3 and CXNv2 connected to a ZBIT both would not work.

I'm in queue for a CSP3 so I bought a Schiit SYS for now, Should be arriving today.

"SYS stands for "switch your, er...schtuff." Sys is a simple, 2-input passive preamp. No electronics. No power. No distortion. Just a 2-way switch and a potentiometer."

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 07/24/20 at 19:55:41

That’s a great idea!  I think the SYS only costs $49.  Curious to hear your report.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 08/02/20 at 17:44:52

Reporting on the Schiit SYS.

I had the SYS connected with the Blue Jeans Cable LC-1 It was a very subtle difference in SQ.

After I put in the Iconoclast RCAs The SYS showed how it collapsed the soundstage and put a soft veil on everything.

My take away is, it will be, or soon will be a/the weak link in a Decware based system.

That said, if not having a way to switch between sources is a pain point for you. The SYS will do the job. If you are serious about a switch box option, I would look into the Decware switch box.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 08/03/20 at 20:56:38

Interesting report.  I wonder what about the Decware switch is inherently less degrading than the Schiit box?

In other news, my ZRock2 plans have been shelved due to impedance mismatch.  My Hegel has an input impedance of only 10,000.  The EQ part of the ZRock would be unaffected, but it’s not ideal for the tube stage.  It’s simply too much to spend to not have it humming on all cylinders.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print