Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 03:42:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
My entrance into The Wonderful World Of Decware (Read 11449 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

My entrance into The Wonderful World Of Decware
07/09/20 at 22:22:51

Yesterday I received my long awaited Taboo MK IV with 25th mods and Type II signal caps, after receiving a ZRock2 with 25th mods and Type II caps, and ZBIT [including several DHC-1 cords, 3 sets of DSR-II ic's, ZStyx cables]..........and purchasing a very wide variety of rectifiers, power tubes, input tubes......as well as isolation feet, and some other items like a pin straightener, pin cleaning dope, etc.

The 4+ month wait was...........far beyond worth it!! Right out of their boxes, this system is NOTHING EVEN REMOTELY close to anything I've ever heard. I say with 100% confidence it is FAR SUPERIOR.

My first real system I purchased 2 years ago, which included a Rogue Chronus Magnum integrated 90w push-pull tube amp and a pair of Martin Logan Theos speakers.....I did enjoy them, they were certainly head and shoulders above any of the comparative junk I ever owned in my life, for example Paradigm Studio 100's  [never seemed to have the cash to go high end], however compared to now there is no comparison.

All mated with a brand new pair of single ALNICO driver Omega Jr. 8XRS speakers [veneered very finely in Sapele], my very 1st hour of listening only confirmed what Lon told me when I joined this forum: "You got the epitome of Steve's work, be prepared to be blown away."

Well, I was blown away.....to say the very least. In the first minute, I was simply shockef......over several minutes thereafter I had goose pimples......then a tear in my eye. After 58 yrs of living, I've literally found nirvana when it comes to sound reproduction. And to know this will get even better just stuns me.

What, 10, 20, 30, 40% better over time? I can't even imagine.....And this is with the stock Chinese 5U4G :-O  I have much better rectifiers in waiting, including Mullard GZ34 smooth plate fat base and GZ34 metal base, Brimar 5R4GY, Sophia 274B Aqua, the ultra rare Telefunken GZ34, Mazda 5Y3G, Mullard GZ32, Everready-Raytheon ER 80/280, and many others. I will spend alot of time whittling these down to a few favorites, sell the rest to recoup the initial investment. Im the kind who likes to gather everything up front, then divest the unwanted.

My initial impressions with the Omegas: Absolutely wonderfu, delicious l instrument separation [previous Rogue amp allowed a bit of congestion], incredibly striking and NATURAL mids [THIS is just astounding!!], lovely clear and seemingly floating highs, the mid lows & lows are quite present but I know they'll be better defined once all this new stuff is broken in. Female vocals are very PRESENT AND REAL. Actually, it scared me they were so resolute!

So after that hour last evening, I've begun the break-in process: 8 hour cycles on-off with a wide variety of 24-96 flac files: classical solo instrumental to full nlown symphonies, jazz, jazz rock, blues acoustic, blues rock, female jazz vocals, complex prog rock.......all run into my Audeze headphones, for the next week or so, 24-7. The off cycles also include the ZRock2 unplugged.

The speakers will have to go thru a slower break-in process, real time actual listening, to loosen the drivers for even better bass that awaits.

So, after a lifetime, paydirt has finally arrived. Decware/Omega is my end game. I already lnow ITS THAT GOOD. IN FACT, ITS GREAT.

So a huge kudos goes to you, Steve......you are nothing less than a genius who passes your passion for fine, sophisticated musical reproduction to we very lucky folks who have found you. God bless you!

Brad

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: My entrance into The Wonderful World Of Decware
Reply #1 - 07/09/20 at 22:40:18

I'm so glad you are bowled over. Enjoy! It sneaks up on you how better it gets and you don't care because you're already in the happy place.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #2 - 07/09/20 at 22:42:45

Congrats man!  I had to put together my Decware components over the course of about 3 years - so my change in sound was a gradual thing. It was pretty cool to hear the changes along the way.

I cannot imagine getting everything you just got at one time! You'd better take it slow or you may die from sensory overload! Wink

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/09/20 at 22:43:29

Now that is exciting. Welcome to the beauty of transformative Home audio!

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/10/20 at 03:00:56

Similar story to mine when - about 4 years ago - I went all in with Decware gear: Torii Jr., ZBIT, ERRx speakers. And loved everything from minute one.

Congrats!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 07/10/20 at 03:43:07

Quote:
What, 10, 20, 30, 40% better over time? I can't even imagine.....And this is with the stock Chinese 5U4G :-O  I have much better rectifiers in waiting, including Mullard GZ34 smooth plate fat base and GZ34 metal base, Brimar 5R4GY, Sophia 274B Aqua, the ultra rare Telefunken GZ34, Mazda 5Y3G, Mullard GZ32, Everready-Raytheon ER 80/280, and many others. I will spend alot of time whittling these down to a few favorites, sell the rest to recoup the initial investment. Im the kind who likes to gather everything up front, then divest the unwanted.

This made me smile.

I love people who take it this serious.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/10/20 at 23:08:29

Thanks to everyone!

One other thing I noticed during that hour of preview: The noise floor was surprisingly low. I expected different.

When I had a solid state Bryston 4B-SST amp & BP-25 pre-amp, that combo was absolutely dead quiet with volume knob turned up all the way. Bryston was noted for and exceedingly low noise floor.

But in a tube amp/combo? That's quite an accomplishment, IMO.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/20 at 22:25:07

Quick update: the break-in process is rolling along nicely, its been a full week now of 8 hr. on and off cycles, 24-7.......I will continue the process for another 2 full weeks. I admit, this really takes patience, but I am a patient man.

By then, all 3 Decware units should be well on their way to warrant the first non-critical listening experience.

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 07/15/20 at 22:52:57

I  don't get it. Why agonize over "break in" and lose all that time enjoying the music? Everything will break in on it's own time frame.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 07/16/20 at 00:16:12

lazb, i'm pretty weird like that. i guess its in my DNA, i approach everything similarly.  i'm really not into the notion of the iterative process; i try my damnedest to get as much right as i can upfront when it comes most  everything. always been that way. i was told that i didn't utter a word until i was 2 yrs old....upon which time i suddenly spoke  in long paragraphs, lol

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 07/16/20 at 00:50:00

i can offer a kind of analogy......there are many folks out there who use cookers [frybaby, etc.] to speed up burn-in on components and subcomponents. it seems to me what i'm doing is along the same lines......since my normal listening habits are such that i only clock in about 8 hours a week, it would take many months for a proper break-in, even as fantastic as it sounded that first hour, which totally flattened me, i would much rather "launch off" at a place where the sound is more defined and refined, and then go from there.

thanks for your input, lazb.......it's a very fair point.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/07/20 at 01:29:55

All,

At this point I've hit about 175 hrs on the Decware units,  40 hrs. on the Omega  spkrs........I can hear it continue to get better and better.  The speakera need much more break-in, last week into earlier this week the well known "roller coaster ride" performance associated with ALNICO drivers was apparent; at times the sound would become more veiled and closed-in, a bit of sibilance, bass less defined........this is kind of unnerving, but its part of the break-in process......its lessening at this  point, and Im expecting that it all will be much more settled in another 50-100-150+ hrs.

Even rigjt now, its SO enjoysble! Head & shoulders better than anything I ever had.

Ive whittled out a big stash of rectifiers and putting them up for sale back on ebay, about $1500-$2,000 worth.

Brad

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 08/07/20 at 03:43:07

Quote:
Posted by: piezoman      Posted on: Today at 01:29:55

...Ive whittled out a big stash of rectifiers and putting them up for sale back on ebay, about $1500-$2,000 worth.

Brad

Which one(s) did you keep?

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 08/07/20 at 04:25:42

Quote:
Im expecting that it all will be much more settled in another 50-100-150+ hrs.

Indeed it will.  In fact the amplifier with regular use will continue to improve for many years as the transformers season.  You will never hear it happen of course it's too slow, but I have heard it.

I listen to fresh of the bench amps almost every day, in fact today I had a listening appointment that wanted to hear a TORII MK4 and since my TORII MK4 is the bench sample that is used to copy for each and every TORII build, it sees some unusual wear.  In this case a wire was pulled off and one channel didn't work.  I had to grab a new amp from the build room that hadn't even been QC'd and use it.  Pretty much only a few hours of burn-in and yet it sounded so good you would never know the amp wasn't burned-in.  We used it all day with great success.

You would never know it wasn't burned in until you compare it side-by-side with one that is.  This happens when people send amps in that are 10 or more years old for updates and I listen to them and am always stunned at the liquidity...  This is what improves with age.  Compared to a new off the bench amp these seasoned amplifiers are at least twice as good in that category.

Don't forget that not only do you have to break in the amplifier and speakers, but your own head as well.  That will come next as you continue hear things that were never there before and your brain rewires itself to the new standard.

Happy listening!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/07/20 at 06:26:34

Brad,
Have you tried the Lucid Mode of your Taboo?  What do you think of it?

Brian

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 08/07/20 at 20:13:57

CaJames, I'm keeping the following for the foreseeable future:

GZ34 Philips Miniwatt metal base, 1955 [2]
GZ34 Mullard fat base, 1958 & 1959 [3]
GZ34 Telefunken, 1965  [1]
GZ34 Amperex, late 1940's  [2]
GZ32 Mullard, 1950's [5]
GZ32 Valvo, 1950's [2]
5U4G RCA. 1941-1955 [7]
5U4G Sylvania  [1]
5U4G Tung-Sol, 1955 [1]
5U4G National Union, early 1940's  [2]
5Y3G Mazda, 1960's [2]
5Y3G RCA, 1940's [3]
5Y3GT RCA, 1944 [1]
5Z4G Brimar, 1950's [2], 1960's [2]
274B Sophia Electric [1]
Type 80 National Union, 1929 [1]
5AS4 AWV [Analgamated Wireless Valve Co.] [1]

I don't expect to ever buy another rectifier again  :)

At some point dosn the line,, I'll be going over all the input tubes and power tubes, and selling off the "excess" back on ebay.......that is another endeavor.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 08/07/20 at 20:19:05

Steve, thank you for that additional insight. And I forgot about transformers.........so much to keep looking forward to! You are a genius.

I wouldn't describe my system as liquid yet, of course, certainly iaw what youre saying and what many others have posted about their systems after many hours of listening.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 08/07/20 at 20:26:07

Brian, I haven't fooled much yet with the lucid mode knob, but the experience I have so far is that some recordings are't affected, and there's an amazing effect on some.......its a sort of additional holographic effect that gives one a really cool sense of space in the room. I love what Ive heard so far with this unique sonic characteristic, and wouldn't want to do without it!

The Taboo MK IV deserves alot more love here, WHAT AN AMP!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #18 - 08/08/20 at 01:30:10

Quote:
Posted by: piezoman      Posted on: Yesterday at 20:13:57
CaJames, I'm keeping the following for the foreseeable future:

GZ34 Philips Miniwatt metal base, 1955 [2]
GZ34 Mullard fat base, 1958 & 1959 [3]
GZ34 Telefunken, 1965  [1]
GZ34 Amperex, late 1940's  [2]
GZ32 Mullard, 1950's [5]
GZ32 Valvo, 1950's [2]
5U4G RCA. 1941-1955 [7]
5U4G Sylvania  [1]
5U4G Tung-Sol, 1955 [1]
5U4G National Union, early 1940's  [2]
5Y3G Mazda, 1960's [2]
5Y3G RCA, 1940's [3]
5Y3GT RCA, 1944 [1]
5Z4G Brimar, 1950's [2], 1960's [2]
274B Sophia Electric [1]
Type 80 National Union, 1929 [1]
5AS4 AWV [Analgamated Wireless Valve Co.] [1]

That's a nice stash. And given that they should each last at least 10 years or so I'd say you have plenty for both this lifetime and the next. If it were me I'd be buried with those rectifiers like a pharaoh.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 08/08/20 at 02:01:09

LOL, thanks James

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/08/20 at 04:28:32

piezoman said of Lucid Mode:

"There is an amazing effect on some recordings. A sort of additional holographic effect that gives one a really cool sense of space in the room. I love what I've heard so far with this unique sonic characteristic, and wouldn't want to do without it!"

That is wonderful. I have ever been fascinated by all that I read of the Lucid Mode.

"The Taboo MK IV deserves a lot more love here, WHAT AN AMP!"

I too think we hear less of the Taboo than seems right. Mini Torii seems to be in the same category. If someone is going to pay more than the cost of the single end triode EL84-Svetlana 83 series of amps, then they want to get more power for their extra expense; so they buy from the push-pull group. And the single end Pentode amps are left behind.

To me, I would want the extra money spent to go to superior sound instead of to power.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #21 - 08/08/20 at 23:56:56

Any thoughts on input and/or power tubes?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 08/09/20 at 01:23:24

James, not yet. I haven't tried any input or power tubes other than stock that Steve provides.

I do have a significant stash to go through and whittle down.

On the rectifiers, I also posted the RCA 5Y3G's, all 4 of them on ebay, along with about 25 others.............IMO, the Mazda 5Y3G is a bit more focused with better separation that the RCA and definitely worth keeping for the long term.

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23 - 08/09/20 at 01:59:52

No problem. You have good taste in tubes, I imagine you have some very interesting options for power/input. I look forward to your updates.

Re: 5Y3. It is the least enjoyable rectifier in my current amp, I have a couple, NU I think, that I'm going to try when I get my UFOs, but I don't have high hopes. I've been collecting (bargain) rectifiers myself, mostly American 5U4/5Z3 and 5V4 types. I have little to no faith in current production (although I do have a couple Shugang 274Bs just for completeness), so I want a lifetime supply while they can still be found inexpensively.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 08/09/20 at 21:45:12

Thank you James.

I too opt for the old Euro and American tubes by far,  like 95% of the time, something I learned when I had my first tube amp, a Rogue Chronus Magnum.

The older stuff allows for more depth and dimension to the sound, along with much better detail. I also agree with getting what you can, now, before prices necessarily continue rising.......there will be no end to higher prices as demand continues while scarcity increases.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 08/20/20 at 16:45:33

Another 30+ hours on the Taboo MK 4-25th/ZR2-25th/ZBIT & Omega Jr. towers.....the sound continues to open up and settle into pure symphonic aural pleasures. Its getting to sound just so right. The signal fed into the ALNICO single drivers is so real, lifelike, palpable. Its getting really unbelievable! The strings, the woodwinds, the flute, the piano, the organ, the bass, vocals.......visceral yet so deliciously delicate. I'm listening as I type -- and its hard to type  :o

The ZR2 and its EQ curve is proving to be utterly invaluable, pure magic. The settings and adjustments you can use turn a relatively pedestrian recording into one you can't stop listening to. This is stunning.

The ZBIT is a wonderful device. The solid, smooth feel of the attenuator is pure high end [I don't have stepped attenuator, decided against it during the ordering process], just like all of the pots i the Decware units. A reassuring feel you never get in mass-produced garbage.

And this is all only going to contine to get better and better. I'm really glad I ordered the 25th mods and copper signal caps for the amp and ZR2.......the benefits will surely become even more apparent over time.

So much to enjoy, and so much to keep looking forward to!

I really feel I hit a massive goldmine with the marriage of Decware and Omega. I'll never look back.

Oh, I've changed my input tube for the Taboo to an Amperex 6922 PQ [1961].....an Amperex 7316 [1958] in the ZR2. With a National Union 5U4G [mid-1940's], and stock output tubes, the sound is mesmerizing.

I'll post some pics soon of my system, in its glorious simplicity.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 08/20/20 at 16:50:53

This should go to yet another level upon levels when I get a CSP3 with 25th mods, possibly in the next 12 months......and its getting ridiculously good right now.

Steve is a genious! My hat tips to you, sir!

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/20/20 at 19:24:01

Looking forward to your photos, piezoman!

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 08/20/20 at 22:14:26

Thanks Tommy!

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #29 - 08/21/20 at 05:05:45

That sounds pretty great. The NU JAN 5Z3 (4 pin version of the 5U4) is my favorite in my (non-Decware) preamp, and I got a couple more for the UFOs when they arrive. The Amperex 7308 is my all time favorite in the 6DJ8 family, and I'm not the only one who feels that way.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #30 - 08/22/20 at 00:24:50

Congratulations Piezoman on all the new goodies. The Decware Ωmega combo is definitely a winner as far as my ears are concerned too. If you have time please write up some of your thoughts on the different tube combinations you enjoy most please, it is great reference for those of us with less experience in tube rolling and VERY much appreciated!
Happy Listening always and long good health to you.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print