Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:18:06 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Aging output tubes. . . . (Read 3102 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Aging output tubes. . . .
07/08/20 at 13:57:49

Aging output tubes. . . not a great thing like aging spirits can be!

Almost any time that I have output tubes and start thinking it's time for new tubes I start tinkering and tuning and I get over the idea that the tubes need replacing. I compensate and get great sounds for a while. Then I tend to rinse and repeat.

But when the notion hits me again, the third time, I usually substitute new tubes. . . and wish I had done it sooner!

There definitely is a zenith point with the tubes where they are sounding unreally good, being all they can be, and then there's a decline in sound quality or at least 100 percent effectiveness of the tube itself doing its job. I really need to pay attention to earlier warning signs and just replace tubes--I tend to keep them about 1.5 times longer than I should, which for my useage of the EP15P tubes should be about a year.

Today new tubes from Steve have just about settled in and the sound is transporting! I really love these tubes that Steve tests and matches with such attention. I have other versions of these tubes that just don't quite sound as dynamic or open. I think in this output type the bass mellows in a way I like, but the high frequency especially and the mid-range in a lesser way become less accurate and pleasing. Note to self: new tubes are a great thing, don't postpone that plateau.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Aging output tubes. . . .
Reply #1 - 07/08/20 at 17:48:50

Me too Lon. Good post!

It is too easy for me also to look everywhere but the power tubes (or inputs) in that phase before obvious distortions and after the tubes are optimal. I guess the very gradual nature of sonic degradation tricks us, but it should be pretty obvious if we could just remember that the sound getting less dynamic, a little fuzzier, etc. is often tubes. Hopefully writing this down will trigger something in my/our minds to look at tubes first!

Wink

Thanks,

Will

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #2 - 07/08/20 at 17:51:44

.....thanks Lon ....I will start looking and order some new ones ... It will be a year in a few months and I will have some on hand...give Sarah a call and have her add them to my order that will be ready to ship in a few weeks.

Thanks again
Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #3 - 07/09/20 at 01:29:01

Good post Lon. I've been interested in getting an SET amp for a long long time. But buying e.g. 300B tubes is a pretty big deal and that is has put me off for decades. The thing that sold me on the UFO amps is exactly that 6P15 tubes are so inexpensive you can afford to change the tubes first and ask questions later. And that's for Steve's lovingly hand selected tubes. If you're will to go it alone and pick the tubes yourself you they are dirt cheap.

Of course tube testing isn't for everyone, but to me that is part of the fun of owning a tube amp. Just like all the work you have to do to play an LP vs. a CD or a FLAC.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 07/09/20 at 13:29:51

I definitely recall the '15P's I had in the Zen at my office system. I found I was turning up the volume more and more looking for that dynamic sound, which was fading. I recall when I replaced the outputs everything changed for the better.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Radarek

Reply #5 - 07/09/20 at 20:48:32

Hey... rookie has a question... so what is the absolutely minimum I should get from tubes??? 6p15p  is what I have installed now. I do around 3 hours at low volume play a day on average...

Thanks

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/10/20 at 03:25:30

Has anyone tried 6P15P-ER vacuum tubes? They are considered a "Durable" version of 6P15P-EV. 6P15P-ER are rated as a 10,000hr tube!

IP Logged
perraanalkx
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 07/27/20 at 05:58:40

I guess the very gradual nature of sonic degradation tricks us, but it should be pretty obvious if we could just remember that the sound getting less dynamic, a little fuzzier, etc.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print