Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:15:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I just ordered some banana plugs (Read 7785 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

I just ordered some banana plugs
07/07/20 at 23:08:45

It seems awfully slow around here so I thought that I would share that I just ordered up some banana plugs to put on my speaker cables.

It is a pain to always be changing speaker cables between amps and speakers without them, so there you go.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: I just ordered some banana plugs
Reply #1 - 07/08/20 at 00:01:42

I prefer bare wire...and once a year I just cut off the exposed wire to have fresh, untarnished stuff on the binding post.

That said, I also have two sets with banana posts, just because I like swapping speakers and amps around so much (shrug). So it's a toss up.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
lobo
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 07/08/20 at 00:19:36

I have both, afraid my hearing isn't good enough to tell a difference.

2xse84ufo 25th mods bridged-pontusII-SHD Studio-Liondias silver10 w15
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/08/20 at 21:28:04

I'm afraid I'm in the same predicament as Lobo.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #4 - 07/08/20 at 22:30:49

We shall see if I can hear the difference.

I ordered some Sewell Ocelot plugs, nothing fancy, really quite cheap. $23 for 12 pair, I can't make them for that kind of money.
They will probably end up being soldered on because I have the stuff to do it.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 07/09/20 at 12:54:11

"Is that a banana plug in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 07/09/20 at 14:43:05

LOL

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #7 - 07/09/20 at 17:19:18

That reminds me of some banana jacks I ordered a while back for a big project I was working on.  The banana jacks came from China and the customs declaration said "Banana Jacks".  Well, you guessed it, because they were related to banana's they had to go through agriculture inspection...Our finest, keeping you safe and healthy!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 07/09/20 at 18:27:43

yup, like i said in another thread, USPS should be privatized.

'i'll probably be called a fascist again by a certain someone who told me the young people taking to the streets is the answer and the future of america.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #9 - 07/09/20 at 22:07:51

"Is that a banana plug in your pocket or are you glad to see me?"

YES

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 07/09/20 at 22:10:15

Yes to the one question or yes to both?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 07/11/20 at 03:59:16

Well my banana plugs arrived today and I spent a few minutes bolting them on my cables. I might, maybe, possibly, solder them in place if I feel like it, or not, time will tell.

To my hearing there are no differences, everything sounds the same as my bare wires sounded. And it sure is a whole lot easier swapping amps and speakers in and out.

This evening my "Rocker" speakers were carried down from their place in my garage to my listening room because a friend is wanting to hear them.
I'm pretty sure that means that I will be building him a pair in the coming weeks.

One of these days I may charge someone for speakers that I build for them, but being able to "subsidize" my friends and coworkers is my way of giving back for the charmed life that I've lived. Plus when you give someone something they don't look too closely at your workmanship! You know the free horse, mouth thing.
My wife may disagree with my largess when this month's credit card bill shows up with big charges from Parts Express and Madisound, but I can deal with her. A new purse will make her forget anything, for about 10 minutes!  

The Rockers sound pretty good, I've been going back and forth between my Torii and Dan The Amp and trying out different speaker cables because the banana plugs make changing back and forth pretty easy.

I sometimes forget how a ported box can sound.
Punchy is the best way that I can describe them and the HiVi ribbon tweeters are just magic with imaging.
But I'm a open baffle guy, just looking for a good time on a Friday night with a tarted up monkey casket.
I'll be back with my OB's in the morning.

So in short, banana plugs = good, I build speakers for friends for free = expensive purses, My Rockers are pretty good speakers = smiles, Decware = fun.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 07/11/20 at 06:47:29

Donnie,

I like the way you sum things up.

Randy

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 07/11/20 at 18:19:48

Donnie, while I'm generally with you, the plugs you got look kind of like, ah, crap.  Try some better ones and hear what difference they make before writing them off.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 07/12/20 at 01:18:23

Anybody ever check out the GR Research Electra Cable Tube Connectors?  Looks like a cool design that produces a solid contact area with just a thin strip of metal in between the internal wiring and external speaker wires by removing the metal bolt from the binding posts and replacing them tube type system.  Looks like the next closest thing to wiring your speaker drivers directly to your amp.

IP Logged
Larpy
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 07/12/20 at 05:56:25

"'i'll probably be called a fascist again by a certain someone who told me the young people taking to the streets is the answer and the future of america."

You're not a fascist; you're just a good American who understands what liberty really means. Public demonstrations against perceived injustice is deeply unAmerican.  Just look at what happened in Boston in the 1770s.  That was not America's finest hour.  Authority is to be respected always.  Like great sounding audio gear.  The discussion of which is ostensibly the purpose of this forum.

IP Logged
effluviography
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/12/20 at 13:30:40

Ugh. Stop bringing up political views and then no one will call you a fascist. This is an AUDIO forum. Maybe you can't understand the difference? And UPS from China will Guarantee additional fees. USPS, you are more likely to be spared the fess. My experience anyway.

Best to all.

|| Mini-Torii & CSP-3 | Analog: ZP-3, Technics SL-1210GR & Ortofon 2m Black | Digital: Z-Box, Denafrips Ares 2, Iris DDC, Roon & Mac Mini | Omega CAM's & Deep-Hemp Sub | ZMF Atticus | 2x Emotiva CMX-6 | Decware Styx, Power & IC's | Supra Exc. USB | NOS Tubes ||
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #17 - 07/12/20 at 15:57:30

beowulf,

Yes I looked at the GR Reserch tube connectors. They wouldn't work with the skinny wires that I use, plus bananas can be used on everything I have without drilling holes.
But they sure do look cool and I'm sure that they sound good.

So far I'm perfectly happy with the El Cheapos that I bought. I don't hear one bit of difference with them from the bare wire that has been in my system for years and it is so much easier to change stuff around.

As far as the political comments, please keep your opinions to yourself and off of my topics.
I may or may not agree with you, but I don't care about hearing about it here.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 07/12/20 at 16:52:41

Donnie, after reading your last post I guess I misunderstood your earlier post.  NOT hearing a difference is a good thing.  When I went to bananas I heard a difference -- for the better, since my bare wire connection wasn't very good using the stock F15 binding posts.  I used solid copper bananas and posts with my solid silver speaker wire.  I'm assuming your bare wire connection was good.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/19/20 at 17:49:21

Donnie, I know you said to keep the political comments off your topics but this seemed more like good parenting!   Grin

https://twitter.com/i/status/1284702809984655362

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #20 - 08/28/20 at 20:39:12

for your consideration....
the finest banana plugs I have ever read about, seen or used...
they keep constant tension, no spring leaves to compress or break off, you can get them in solder type or screw type, with or without an outer barrel to pretty them up. they come in very pure copper or you can even get silver if that "blows your hair back".  And they come in several different sizes to accommodate the gauge of wire you're using.  They are not cheap, but they are much, much less than some of the more boutique, audiophile approved connectors out there.
https://douglasconnection.com/product/furez-tstw38np-bare-copper-banana-plug-con...

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print