Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 09:00:14 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
cement for loose tube bases? (Read 4823 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

cement for loose tube bases?
07/02/20 at 04:30:02

Any recommendations on a glue to repair a loose base on a rectifier?

Thanks, Brad

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: cement for loose tube bases?
Reply #1 - 07/02/20 at 05:45:25

Weldbond glue works, and being water soluble, is easy to do a nice clean job with.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 07/02/20 at 06:48:07

Thank you very much Will.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 07/02/20 at 06:58:55

You are welcome.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 07/04/20 at 20:42:46

I applied Weldbond around the bases on a couple rectifiers yesterday. The consistency and look of the glue right out of the plastic bottle is just like Elmer's Glue. Easy application, easy clean-up with a wet paper towel.

Worked like a charm. Dried true and tight. Highly recommended.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #5 - 07/06/20 at 03:20:19

Yes, it is a poly acrylic adhesive that dries clear and remains flexible, sticks to everything except Teflon.  I have used it to fix literally hundreds of tubes that have come across my desk (mostly NOS) where the adhesive had exceed its intended lifespan and let go.  The repair is permanent.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 10/28/20 at 17:18:10

I need to use some of this Weldbond on a Type 80 tube but when I look on eBay to buy it there seems to be two types. Bottles look different, numbers are different and one version is about twice as expensive as the other. Which version is recommended for our use? Thanks.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 10/28/20 at 21:48:29

Hey Showme,

Going to buy some more, I ran into similar confusions. After wandering around a bit, and looking here: https://www.weldbond.com I now think it is likely all the same glue. I couldn't find references to numbers on the website, but they do seem to be talking about only one glue on the site. After clicking the different numbered bottles on amazon, I am thinking that the numbers might be indicators for different sized bottles. Also confusing, there are the old-look bottles, and the new-look bottle, and all the new ones don't look just alike, no red band on the actual label of the little one....but my guess now is they are the same glue.

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 10/28/20 at 22:14:54

OK Will. Thanks. I guess I’ll just buy one and see how it works out. Size/price is a little confusing. And then of course different colored bottles.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/28/20 at 22:43:01

I've used a medium thickness cyanoacrylate glue (Superglue) very successfully.  Flows into the gap and grabs very fast.  A side benefit is that it is also great for gluing those nasty cracks in the end of fingers that we who live in dry climates get all winter!  

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print