Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 12:31:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amp for 15ohm LS3/5a’s and 8ohm Ωmega super 6’s? (Read 2836 times)
Nick324

Amp for 15ohm LS3/5a’s and 8ohm Ωmega super 6’s?
06/22/20 at 01:57:30

Hey all, Has anyone used a Decware amp to power Falcon LS3/5A 15Ωhm monitors (83db sens.) ? Currently I use a Sugden FPA-4 and am very pleased. i have just acquired Ωmega super 6 XRS alnico Towers and would like an amp that will do double duty. My initial idea was a Rachel with 8 and 16 Ωhm taps.  Input is appreciated. I have found the Falcons picky and difficult to power correctly the Sugden works well and is pleasing but none the less I still want to add a Decware to the collection. The Ωmegas are easy to power and work well with almost everything i throw at them so far.
Nick

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Ray77
Verified Member

Re: Amp for 15ohm LS3/5a’s and 8ohm Ωmega super 6’s?
Reply #1 - 08/08/20 at 15:51:27

Most (all?) Decware amp owners must be using high efficiency speakers, given lack or response to your post. Jerry at Falcon Acoustic did not respond to my query about using low powered SETs (aren't they ALL low powered?).  Ekkehard Strauss (Medialux blog) offered an opinion (nearfield listening). I notice you have an LM mini 218IA SET (2xEL84, 2x12AX7). What was your impression driving the LS35a's? I have same amp and DIY FA LS35a's with No. 23aB (15 ohm) crossovers. At my listening position (9 ft), I get up to 85 dB SPL with volume control at 11 o'clock position - same as with my KT88 push-pull integrated (35w ultralinear/28w triode). I use a REL T/7i sub to augment below 100 Hz. The mini 218IA is the opposite of the Super Zen Triode - solid state rectification, PC boards, mass produced in China. That said, it provides a clearer, more holographic image than the bigger P-P amp. Stereophile published a review of the FA LS35a's showing impedance curve characteristic (> 8 ohms; 7 ohm dip from 7 to 15 kHz). I think its the impedance that makes this a tube-friendly speaker. Based on my system configuration, music preferences (jazz, vocals) and ears that can no longer tolerate loud, a Decware 2 watt SET might be my next amp upgrade.

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #2 - 08/12/20 at 13:54:34

Hey Ray, Thank you for the input. Yes I have spoken to Jerry in England and he is a great guy and was very helpful. Even though the Falcon boys have turned to tubes recently to showcase their products he had mentioned their use of the Sugden amps which finally led to my own purchase and mating.

As I type this response I have a 341.5 "Rachael" sitting on my desk running my own Falcons near field  and they work ok. I was playing with tubes yesterday and there is an annoying touch of "grain" in the high end I'm trying to figure out and get rid of but that is one of the joy's of Tube based systems, fine tuning the sound to your own preferences...These speakers have had the highest learning curve of any I own and have cost me an excess of money to find synergy and pleasure with The small size, low sensitivity and 15 Ohm impedance all take work to mate well and finally get the "mythical" sound reviewers have been praising them for over the decades. Rather than wondering about it I just went ahead and purchased one more amplifier to experiment with and enjoy, life is too short to over analyze some things.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Ray77
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/12/20 at 15:59:44

Nick: thanks for sharing re: Sugden and the SE34I.5. I used to own Quad and Alchemist Class AB ss amps but since moving to tube amps I've never been happier. Since I am finding my Line Magnetic 2 watt SET amp can drive the LS35a's as well as my push-pull tube amp without distortion (so far) I was tempted to go with the 2 watt SE84UFO for even more holographic imaging and transparency. However I think the SE34I.5 is the better choice at 6 watts, giving more headroom for a wider range of music. I'll wait to see what Steve says.
Despite the LS35a legendary status and loyal following, I've never heard the original. The Falcon Acoustic LS35a's are the best speakers I've owned. Decware amps also seem to be legendary and have a loyal following.  The combination could be the ultimate Zen experience, so yes I should just jump in and find out for myself. Good luck with tube rolling. I should mention that sometimes graininess and other forms of distortion could be from the source material. Once I was trying to locate a hum problem when playing an LP and found it was recorded onto the vinyl!
Cheers
Ray

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print