04/19/24 at 20:15:03 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Replacement fuse? (Read 14275 times)
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: Replacement fuse?
Reply #50 - 09/26/20 at 22:13:32

OK, I bit. I was happy with my system the way it was and didn't see a need or affordable path to upgrade beyond that. The highs were slightly bright but still quite good. Yet as I read this thread, my curiosity got the best of me. If I could elevate my system just a little bit more, it might be worth the cost. I ended ordering a Synergistic Research Blue fuse and waited for the delivery. The cost was $125. Note to myself: Do not walk barefooted or in socks across the rug before turning my amplifier on or off. It could get expensive quickly. I chose the blue as it's cost was slightly more than the black and had a much shorter break in period.

Did the fuse get rid of that slight brightness and did it offer benefits beyond that? The fuse is directional and in retrospect, I managed to get the right direction the first time. What did I hear? The brightness was gone and the soundstage got larger, especially in soundstage depth. As I listened more and to different types of music, I noticed that the sound was richer and more harmonically complex. Various instruments sounded more real than before including human voices. The trailing harmonics of the piano were much more noticeable. Guitar and other string instruments displayed the same qualities. The chorus at the back of the hall was more articulate and sounded more real. Even bass instruments, such as the acoustic bass, had even greater articulation than before. I could go on but what I was hearing was something unexpected. I was hearing much more low level information from my stereo. This fuse has elevated the sound of my system far more than I ever would have imagined. My mind is blown that a fuse could have such an effect.

There is one additional thing that I still haven't wrapped my head around. My system sounds louder at each volume setting than before. I assume it has something to do with the additional low level detail but it is still somewhat strange.

I cannot imagine going back to a regular fuse in my Zen amplifier now that I have heard what it is capable of sounding. This might be the best $125 that I have ever spent on my system.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 09/27/20 at 00:14:52

Glad to hear ArtMan. I really like the SR Orange fuses. Combined with my PI Audio UberBUSS power conditioner everything just locked into place with my system. I heard the same changes you described, they were transformative. Enjoy.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 09/27/20 at 07:23:59

Wow Antman, awesome to hear the effect it had on your system!

I also noticed the volume increase, and I don't know why, but I know enough to trust my ears.

Since I run all of my music from a laptop via USB, the other small tweak that was better than advertised was a USB signal regenerator in front of the DAC. It had a significant effect on the noise floor and dynamics.

Cheers!,
Richard

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 09/28/20 at 03:03:03

HockessinKid,

I never considered the word transformative for the fuse but if a system has no weak links, it is a valid description of it's impact.

Morph,

I also use a laptop as a music server and run a Curious USB cable to my Denafrips Pontus. The Pontus puts the data stream into memory and then re-clocks it. Between the Curious USB cable and the Pontus, it is probably equivalent to your USB signal regenerator in terms of noise and dynamics.

Listening to music is now such a joy. Again, everything sounds new and fresh.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 09/28/20 at 13:56:43

I've also had great luck with quality aftermarket replacement fuses. My favorite are the AudioMagic beeswax fuses.

They have ones ranging from $70-240.

There are other brands that are a step up at much lower prices too.

I've noticed improvements using aftermarket fuses in my regenerator and other gear.

As soon as you think you have reached the end of the road there are three more directions to go!  ;D Cheesy

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #55 - 09/30/20 at 01:41:01

I'm a big fan of Audio Magic fuses as well.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 09/30/20 at 07:40:00

Hi Artman, seems likely! That Pontus is a sweet piece of tech.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 10/10/20 at 13:39:11

Fuses can get really pricy, really quickly.

I still stand by the Audio Magic fuses and they are my #1 recommendation.

My brother found Create Audio fuses. They are $10 each shipped. If you goto ebay and type in:

create audio fuse

a bunch will come up, they ship out of Hong Kong / China / Taiwan.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #58 - 10/19/20 at 15:53:08

I have to agree: I really like Audio Magic fuses. I have Super in all but my P15 power regenerator, which has a Symphonic Research "Blue" and my PS Audio Ultimate Outlet that has an Audio Magic Nano Liquid. In time I'll probably replace these last two with Audio Magic Super.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 11/12/20 at 01:50:41

HockessinKid,

Again curiosity got the best of me and I ordered a Synergistic Research Orange fuse. The word transformative is the right adjective for this fuse. As good as the Blue fuse is, the Orange is that much better. I never imagined a fuse would have such a significant difference in my system.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #60 - 11/12/20 at 02:24:54

Hey Art,

So how many new fuses do you have in place in the Zen? Just the one as the power comes in? I swore that I would draw the line and not bite on expensive fuses, but you guys description of the results are pointing me down that road...

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #61 - 11/12/20 at 03:44:09

Resistance is futile Geno. Against my better judgement I bought some Synergistic Research Orange fuses when they were on sale a few months ago and now I'm a believer too. I seriously can't believe how big a difference a fuse can make.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #62 - 11/12/20 at 03:50:27

Where are you using them, CA?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #63 - 11/12/20 at 03:52:35

Right now I'm using one in my Woo Audio pre/headphone amp. But I have two more for when my UFOs arrive in a couple weeks.

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 11/12/20 at 04:11:18

Geno,

I am using it in my SE84UFO amplifier. I considered using one in my Denafrips Pontus DAC but it has something equivalent to a circuit breaker rather than a fuse. This fuse is the real deal.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #65 - 11/12/20 at 08:54:24

I am also using the SR orange fuses in my ZMA, CSP3+, and ZROCK. Bought them last year during the buy 2 get one free sale. They made a noticable difference in my system as well.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #66 - 11/12/20 at 08:56:21

I'm using Audio Magic Super fuses in all components but  my PS Audio P15 which has an SR Blue, and my PS Audio DSD which I have not replaced a fuse within . I think I'll get an Audio Magic Super for the P15 soon. . . .

IP Logged
Ellsworth
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 11/15/20 at 01:08:37

I have to chime in also.  This thread pushed me to finally experiment with fuses.  I purchased a SR Orange for my Zen 25th.  As others have stated it does make an impact and is well worth the price.  

In addition to better detail, the music seems to have more density and body with a blacker background.  I really did not expect to notice much but this was like upgrading a power cord or interconnect.

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #68 - 11/20/20 at 16:44:33

I would like to try to replace the fuse in the IEC outlet.  Can you advice rating should I select?  This is for my Torii JR.

Thanks.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 11/20/20 at 16:56:21

That should be in the manual.  You can also look at the existing fuse, assuming it's correct.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 11/20/20 at 16:58:50

I looked this up for someone else recently. It's a 5mm x 20 mm 3 amp fuse.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 11/20/20 at 17:10:29

Hey Jess,

I looked at the Torii Jr manual also, and the photo/diagram page does say it uses a 3 amp fuse in the IEC power inlet. However, later the manual describes the fuse: "The 120V TORII JR uses a 6.3 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse. (220/230/240 volt customers use a 4 AMP 20mm fast blow fuse.)"

So, I don't know, but am guessing the 3 amp on the diagram page may be a typo. But you can check it out by pulling the power cord, and then gently prying out the fuse holder part of the IEC power inlet, and look at the spare and/or main fuse.

Typically stamped numbers in the metal of the fuse ends tell the voltage and amperage ratings. If it is 3 amp, there will likely be a 3A mark on it. Or if 6.3 amp, 6.3A.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #72 - 11/20/20 at 18:10:46

I think you are correct, it should be a 6.3 amp fuse for this amp.

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #73 - 11/21/20 at 03:01:32

Thanks Will and Lon, will select 6.3A then

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #74 - 11/30/20 at 01:17:46

I also message Steve to confirm the correct rating for the JR and for my unit it’s 4A.  I bought ceramic type fuse to replace the glass fuse stock... and true, this small fuse has direct effect to SQ.  

I tried both the SCHURTER SWISS SCHURTER SMD-SPT GOLD PLATED 4A and AMR 6.3A.  The AMR has more mids and longer decay but bass is not controlled (my room is the culprit).  The Schurter SMD-SPT is fast and punchy and neutral.  As per listening I hear the mids are more lush in AMR, I feel more engaged listening with it when playing on acoustic type music.  But for all-around music I put SMD-SPT for contolled bass notes.

Glad that I able to read this forum.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 12/01/20 at 01:09:27

Hey Jess,

Good news! Since the Jr manual said 4 amp for 220-240 volt service, makes me wonder, do you have high voltage service? Or did Steve say 4 amp for 110-120?

Anyway, glad you got some good benefits from fairly low cost fuse changes. I have used both AMR and Schurter, but preferred others.

Having used and liked the effects of WA chips in DAC modifications, I have some left over pieces said to be designed for caps, DAC/semiconductor chips, and for fuses. I don't know if they are just different sizes or different formulations. But having been impressed in the past by taping a WA fuse sticker on various fuses, and since cutting up bigger stickers gives fine tuning potential (sizing it to tastes) while pieces of a bigger sticker would be less cost per fuse for similar treatment, I had been meaning to try it. As an example, a WA semi-conductor chip is about 12.50, and a fuse chip, about 9. I am guessing the DAC chip has about 3 times as much material. And taping them on the fuse rather than using the sticker as intended makes them easy to move to another fuse.

So I am now experimenting with a piece of a WA DAC sticker on a generic, but pretty nicely made slow blow ceramic fuse in my balanced power supply. I had been using a HiFi Tuning Supreme there, and initial impressions of the sticker/ceramic fuse were good. I had run the fuse on my Frybaby2 burnin rig, so it was pretty good right off, but as I recall, I found the stickered fuse more neutral, transparent and faster than the HiFi Tuning fuse... pretty impressive since the HiFi fuse uses better materials and is designed specifically for audio.

I need to play more and do some ABs in order to give any real analysis, but I am pretty impressed so far what these stickers can do, and at a fairly low cost per fuse.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 12/01/20 at 02:32:18

Jess,

I forgot to mention that my amp is specced for a 5 amp fuse, and having tried a number of fuses, what I was used to. Comparatively, the few 6.3 amp audiophile fuses I have tried (Furutech and HiFi Tuning gold), I found them both similarly more intense sounding than the 5 amp fuses. Guessing it is like with bigger wires, a bigger fuse feeding the power a little more likely alters the signal and sound toward bigger, and bigger is not always better if a system is pretty fine-tuned. Particularly, I did not like how either added intensified bass in the balance, enough in my setup to make the bass a little too heavy and thick. The heavier/thicker bass made the bass softer and slower, and leaking into the mids and highs, slowed the sound overall to me, while masking/overwhelming fine detail and space.

So I was wondering. If my assumptions are right, since you prefer the AMR fine detail/decays, etc, and the fuse being pretty inexpensive, it may be worth trying a 4 amp in the place of the 6.3. It might just  give you more bass control, speed, and even more complex mids and highs.

IP Logged
Jess
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 12/01/20 at 06:31:12

Ohh.. forgot to mention Will that my JR is 230V and using here in Singapore.  The stock fuse is rated 5A i think but Steve has advice to get 4A.  The fuse I tried is inexpensive just to find out myself if there is really an effect to the SQ these fuse.  

Glad we had the same result or observation about higher ratings fuse which gives bigger sounds which is nice on strings and vocals but for bass notes somehow becomes bloated that makes the system looses its speed.

I would like to try HiFi tuning supreme now after you mention it but now not sure if 4A or 5A should I get.  BTW, what is WA sticker?

In case anyone tried 4A and 5A to save me some
$ on the experiment 😁 and provide the outcome.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 12/01/20 at 17:01:48

Hey Jess,

I liked HiFi Tuning fuses, but was not a total fan, though the Supreme did sound pretty good in my tuned up balanced power supply. But generally the gold, and the more refined Supreme are a little colored and veiled to me. The older silvers were clearer, but perhaps a little hard. I have not bought any in years though, so don't know what the newer fuses sound like. They may have improved. And this is me, many people have more high appreciation for HiFi Tuning fuses.  

My favorites before starting to explore alternatives using cheaper fuses with graphene contact enhancer and WA Quantum chips (and similar), for clarity and transparency, were Synergistic Research Reds. And for more body and color done pretty well to me, I have liked Synergistic Research SR20s. But these are old tech, now several generations old, and SR keeps improving things, while other companies also bring up the bar.

My alternative fuse exploration started with blowing a Synergistic Red with a new rectifier that shorted. This was some years ago, and at the time I thought the Reds were costly for a fuse, on sale at about $80. So I started playing with removable/interchangeable stickers and contact enhancers on inexpensive fuses. Blow a fuse, the refining parts can be put on another.

For some of the most acknowledged favorites available, as many have pointed to in this thread, there seems to be a consensus for relatively recent Synergistic Research fuses (with UEF tech), and Audio Magic fuses....both pretty costly, but well liked. I personally have not tried them, so can't comment, but if you read through this thread you will see how well appreciated there are in our Decware community.

WA Quantum Chips are proprietary, so hard to say exactly what makes them work. But they are acknowledged by many who have tried them to bring out more clarity and nuance. In my experience fine detail and space are increased by them without "warm" coloration. Exploring subtle improvements you can actually hear with good amps like Decware, especially when blended with other gear and cables that enhance the transparency and musicality of the Decware, I am not as concerned as I once was as to how something works, more how it sounds.

SR fuses fit into this category. They explain their tech to some degree, but aspects of it remain "mysterious." Yet more and more discerning audio folks who used to think and say audiophile fuses were hoodoo have changed their minds. As this thread reveals, with revealing systems, we can potentially get a lot from a good fuse.

I think many of the "Quantum" things that work are using some preferred combination of minerals and perhaps metals found to interact with, clarify and align the energy in the areas they are applied. Some of these things are fairly concentrated in their effect, and some are more powerful, directly effecting other components and even the room. In the power path or signal path, like WA chips are used, they seem to treat the power energy and the signal energy relatively locally, and refining the energy anywhere in the path, refines it beyond.

To me the benefit of this more localized energetic treatment, is that you can tune to tastes, putting bits and pieces in places that sound best, and perhaps treating many parts. And when the tuning tool is done well, and optimally applied, spread out it can create a more refined sound.

For example, in my DAC, I found the WA cap and DAC chips as-sold, too powerful, so started cutting them into smaller sizes. Finding a nice blend of more optimal sizes for various applications, I added a few based on sound. Then I kept going adding more to parts where they notably improved the sound until the magical balance emerged. Finally, going beyond was a downgrade. So I have lots of little pieces spread around caps, connectors, and semi-conductor parts in the DAC, spreading out the refining qualities of just a few original sized chips.

Anyway, below is a link for where I have bought the WA-Quantum chips just to show you how they present them. Based in Germany, it may well be you can find them locally in Singapore. Might sound really good with your preferred Schurter fuse.

https://www.vhaudio.com/miscellaneous.html

And for some more information:

http://www.kempelektroniks.nl/en/658/kemp-elektroniks/products/accessoires/wa-qu...

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #79 - 02/14/21 at 20:45:44

Guys, I’m wanting to try one of these audiophile fuses. I’m wanting to try one in my Zen and CSP3. The manual for the Zen states a 3 amp fuse. I don’t see a type specified for the CSP3.

On the Parts Connexion site, a 3 amp is not a listed option. 3.15 amp is the closest one. Is it ok? Also, would this be the same one for the CSP3?

Thanks in advance,

Geno

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #80 - 02/14/21 at 21:09:13

Put a 3.15 amp Synergistic Research orange in my CSP3 preamp. Works fine, no hiccups.

HK

IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 11/09/22 at 22:04:29

GroovySauce said
Fuses can get really pricy, really quickly.

I still stand by the Audio Magic fuses and they are my #1 recommendation.

My brother found Create Audio fuses. They are $10 each shipped. If you goto ebay and type in:

create audio fuse

a bunch will come up, they ship out of Hong Kong / China / Taiwan.

Just received two fuses from them yesterday, one for the UFO and one for the ZP3. I was curious about fuses, but not multi hundred dollar curious. At $10 each it’s not much of a gamble. I've only had one listening session since installing them so It’s still early. I heard some improvement with depth and smoothness. I don’t have anything to compare them to other than the stock fuses. Perhaps someday I’ll be able to compare them to an orange or purple or similar.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
Sean
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 11/15/22 at 17:09:29

PCX is clearing out Orange fuses 50% off full retail, $80 each while supplies last. I'm guessing SR has a new color coming out soon. In a week or so I'll have a chance to first hand compare the Create Audio vs the Orange.

After spending a few days with the Create Audio fuses my experience is they are slightly brighter than the stock fuses in my UFO and ZP3. While slightly brighter, they did give a bit better dynamics and larger sound stage.I will say I  got a much more positive outcome with upgrading my power cords to DHC-2 and DHC-3. I'll circle back after I receive the Oranges with more detail.

Technics 1210G, AT OC9III, Cinemag 1254 SUT, ZP3, CSP2+, SE84UFO, Tekton Pendragon

Schiit Bifrost, Mac Mini, Roon
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #83 - 11/15/22 at 18:24:06

I'm a big fan of SR Orange fuses, FWIW. I never thought I'd buy into the "hundred buck fuse" thing but against my better judgement I bought some a few years ago and they made a nice improvement to both my UFOs and my (non-Decware) preamp.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #84 - 11/15/22 at 18:33:38

I am the same, having gotten along well with older SR fuses and a few from China, all with WA stickers added. But I broke down with the Orange Sales recently, and liked them right off, if a little too solid sounding at first, a notable improvement in overall clarity, smooth density and sense of power over SR-Reds with stickers. I was told to give them two hundred hours to fully evaluate, a much longer fuse burnin than I have experienced in the past. And maybe other things, but I think they did continued to improve for a very long time. Mainly I think they became less forward and focussed, though still dense, but with more apparent complexity... richer.

IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #85 - 11/15/22 at 23:00:48

Anyone try the Acme Silver Cryo CFC fuses? They have a few good reviews, including this one (after weeding through some hyperbole).
https://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1021/Acme_Audio_Labs_Silver_Cry...
I figured for about $20 a pop it's worth giving a try and have a few on order.  

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #86 - 11/16/22 at 12:46:45

My replacement fuses and handy dandy fuse remover. Warning!!!! do not attempt this at home without proper precautions.

Cost; zero dollars - Risks; your life. Priceless!

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Mannytheseacow
Ex Member

Reply #87 - 11/16/22 at 17:23:05

I did the same thing with some extra heavy gage silver wire that I got from Tempo Electric that I was using for jumpers back when I had Magnepans.

Can't say that I ever A/B'd copper vs. silver but the solid wire is a huge improvement over glass or ceramic fuses.  I never have tried the more expensive fuses though.  Since I built my amp I guess I'm prepared for the consequences should a melt-down occur...  I'll build another.  Keeping a fire extinguisher happy and never leaving the amp unattended.  Don't do this at home.  ;)

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #88 - 11/16/22 at 23:57:40

I have a polished copper ground wire cut for a fuse in my DAC, partly because I have never blown a fuse in a DAC or CD player. And compared to the glass fuse, the copper was notably better, more full and complete.

But in my Decware gear that has rectifiers, I have blown fuses, each time because a rectifier fried. Not often, but over years, enough to know I was glad to have a fuse. That said, I don't know what would happen had the fuse not blown, but not willing to risk finding out unless I hear it is not a real issue from Steve. And I am guessing it is, because in recent years he has added more fuses to the rectifier circuits, and being a lifetime warranty, it is on him if something goes really haywire.

Quote:
Anyone try the Acme Silver Cryo CFC fuses?

I was using a coated Acme in my Torii before getting the SR Orange and I had not compared yet, so intersting to try some quick comparisons with the SR getting somewhat burned in, guessing 130-150 hours.

In my system the Acme is pretty different depending on direction, more complete one way top to bottom, more immediate and complex while being smoother, warmer, and having more complete bass...  It sounds closer to the SR Orange in this direction, though less smooth and warm, and a bit less complete in the finest information. Also SR is more obviously dynamic, especially on some recordings. But the SR is so smooth (though really well detailed), while also being weighted more toward bass in the mids, it's more complete information is not necessarily obvious across recordings. This seems especially true on warmer recordings where the "warmth" with the smoothness can feel a touch dulling, the darker bass weighting into the mids working into upper mid clarity and presence some.

Alternately, the Acme has more sense of clarity, especially noticeable in comparisons with darker recordings, accented by its being less smooth, so a little crisper and more space left empty. Where the SR, the space can be more full of spacial information, overall giving a more sophisticated and rich vibe. That said, the more obvious clarity hit of the Acme could be an advantage in some systems, and the warmer and smoother fullness of the SR better for others. I usually do not like engineers attempts to create "analog" sound, sounding dull and dark more often than "more analog" to me, but the SR Orange does this well in this system. It is warm and full, but rich in complexity and fine detail... and the bass is especially full and complex though pretty articulate, a refined sound to me that in this system seems better across recordings. But then the Acme is surprisingly good here also, and perhaps a little better on some darker/fuller recordings. Particularly for the money, doing most everything well here, I could totally live with it.

So the SR, probably not fully burned in by reports, and in these rushed tests... it feels more sophisticated, fuller/warmer, more dynamic, smooth and complete, while retaining pretty exceptional fine detail and spacial information... richer. Guessing all this will refine even more in time which is exciting. But for now, putting the "brighter" more open feeling ACME back in is exciting... yet the SR finally goes back in, and I expect it to get even more complex, immediate and complete.

I have tried a number of the less costly Audio fuses from 10-35 or 40, and the coated Acme seems to be in its own league for my tastes, pretty complete spectrally and resolution wise, not restricting fine detail and space like many lower cost fuses (and even some mid cost ones I have tried)... which for me makes or breaks something.

So if your system reveals it like mine, I would say it is a good one to test the waters with... And remember if you have not used audio fuses, at least all I have tried are directional, the Acme particularly so, so good to play with them back and forth a few times as they burn in.

IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 11/17/22 at 10:04:53

Will brings up a good point. If a fuse is eliminated and a meltdown does occur this may likely void any lifetime warranty  offered by Decware.

I don't think any rectifier tube would stand long with a short inside to cause any fire damage but could be long enough to heat and melt connections in other components in the circuit which would leave the amp dead after replacing the tube.

If a fire started blooming to the extent of loss of real estate property, an investigation would be in order. Let's assume it was started by carelessly placing a cleaning rag with an accelerated on top a hot tube amp that was not properly fused. The investigator will find this and report the findings. Insurance companies would love to send this finding to the law department of their business.

If Decware did not place a protection fuse in their equipment, those lawyers could cause Steve a real headache. By bypassing that Decware installed fuse the homeowner of the real-estate may be in for a fight with those same lawyers.

If you live, life might become miserable fooling with zen.

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #90 - 11/17/22 at 13:26:33

It's been awhile an I've explored more fuses.

The SR Purple and Audio Magic M-1 are both great fuses. I have a mix of them in my equipment.

One thing that has always bothered me about the IEC fuses is the connection area is so small. In that context, even with a stock cheapie glass fuse. I would recommend getting a bottle of Caig Deoxit gold. https://caig.com/product/deoxit-gold-g100l-2db/ I've applied it to every connection in my system. It's time consuming it also brings a notable improvement. After doing all the connections: power, interconnects, speaker cables, tube pins, digital and of course the fuses. the bottle looks like it hasn't even been used. It does have a little bit of sediment in the bottom now.

Sean, SR released the Purple fuse after the orange. I'm guessing they are just thinning them out now that the Purples are the latest. SR often does buy two get one free.

I wouldn't feel comfortable bypassing the fuse, especially on a tube amp. If I did I would remove the fused IEC and replace it with a standard IEC and have it soldered in. Looking at Sutherland phono stages looks like they do not use a fuse at all.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #91 - 11/17/22 at 13:44:24

I also am using Purple fuses and an M-1 in my regenerator, the heart of the system. A great mix. I have a few Orange in use in my other systems. . . I much prefer the Purple.

I too am too cautious and love my equipment too much to bypass the fuses. And when these fuses sound so good I see no need.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #92 - 11/17/22 at 16:03:43

I find it quite interesting that the designer of our equipment never participates in these discussions.

Roon Nucleus, Eversolo A6 ME, ZRock, CSP, SE84 UFO, TubeTots
Small treated room
  IP Logged
Tony
Seasoned Member

"Life without
..music is
inconceivable"
A.Einsteln

Reply #93 - 11/17/22 at 16:12:20

Hi Paul,

I had that thought initially, and sometimes Steve logs on and adds something clarifying.  Over time, however, I have found that the experience level of the group as a whole is most helpful regularly.  Steve's contributions to the discussions regarding product development, like Sarah, have been extensive.

Tony

SE84UFO25 | Ic0n4 Passive Preamp | ZBIT | Cambr. CXNv2 | Denafrips Pontus II | Denafrips Gaia | Decware I/Cs | Decware Pwr Cbls | ZWIRE Speaker Cbls | Omega SAHOM & KEF KC62 | Furman Cond l GIK Room Trmt
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #94 - 11/17/22 at 16:43:29

Paul2 wrote on 11/17/22 at 16:03:43:
I find it quite interesting that the designer of our equipment never participates in these discussions.

He has mentioned fuses here and there in the forum over the years. I don't think he shares the enthusiasm of others here for these aftermarket fuses.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #95 - 11/17/22 at 17:14:32

Yes, I remember very well.

I trust the designers opinion.

Have known Mr. Deckert for over twenty years.  I knew within twenty minuets of meeting him that he was the real deal.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 11/17/22 at 18:09:01

Don't you imagine it is possible for "real deals" to be a little caught by long held ideas too. That said, the last I read Steve's comments on fuses (can't recall where), they were were not denying the potential efficacy as I recall. And fuses have come a long way in recent years, and not all, but some are decent in many price ranges. Obviously a high dollar fuse being there to blow and save the amp from other damage is a bit of a conundrum. But we wear out tubes all the time, so it depends on how much the fuse improves the sound and if that is worth risking a blow that might or might not happen for everyone, and if so, usually on rare occasion. Where we draw the money line individually is obviously variable for tubes...  and  for fuses, and all else. And what we want from a system/room is variable. There is no doubt fuses will show more in more advanced systems with minimal weak links. But unless one AB's decent burnt in audio fuses in resolving systems/rooms, there is no way to know based on concepts and biases.

I agree with Groovysauce's advice on deoxit gold, but I would like to expand on that. I have found that Deoxit gold can be quite good, but for me, only if you polish it with a soft rag a bit pretty directly after application. If I left it on too long, too thick, I found it slows and thickens the sound. I found Cardas to be easier to apply without issues and similar results as deoxit gold well applied. Also madscientist graphene oil uses graphine rather than gold, applies the same concepts and effects of increasing smoother metal conductor surfaces, and thus increased smooth energetic connection and completeness, but graphene having a different sonic feel and working well for me.

IP Logged
Paul2

Second Hand Rose

Reply #97 - 11/17/22 at 19:17:56

Will, I agree with your thoughts on Deoxit and other contact cleaning materials.  Proper use and cleaning are very important.

We have seen the ongoing development of the Sahara 300B amplifier.  The amount of attention put into the product is evidence to the expertise of the designer.  I'm sure that somewhere down the line someone will come up with a modification that they feel will make it infinitely better.

We once had a very nice member who was competent enough to build his own design SET amp.  He sold some of them.  A friend bought one but eventually sold it and regrets it!

I accept that if someone purchases a Decware amp, it is his property to do with as they please.

I feel that with your level of competence, you should design and build your own.

All said with the utmost respect.

Small treated room
  IP Logged
LiquidBlue

Reply #98 - 11/17/22 at 20:49:00

Will, thanks for taking the time to compare and give feedback. I received the Acme coated fuses yesterday and have put about 10 hours on them. So still need to let them run in. Thus far, I feel I get more detail in the bass and on the top end, improved soundstage, especially depth, from the stock ones. I agree, they give very good clarity and separation. I’m sure the SR fuses may give further improvement, but I’m pretty content with what I’m hearing so far with the Acme CFC fuses, so will keep these in for a while. I think they’re a good value. I will say they were a bit tight to fit on the fuse holder, so had to be careful not to damage the coating while putting them on the fuse holder.

Mofi Ultradeck w/ Hana ML>Sutherland Insight>Eversolo DMP-A6>CSP3-A>SE84UFO25>Energy Veritas>REL T7i
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 11/18/22 at 00:22:32

Liquid Blue - Glad the Acmes are doing well for you. I found the fuse holders too tight for them too, and meant to mention that, but sounds like you worked it out.

Hey Paul - I agree with you. Steve’s amp explorations in development are inventive, informative, and exciting for me.... also indicating expertise and advanced creativity. Thinking that through though, how could they continue to be so innovative and expansive, year after year after year, if he already knew all there was to know? Always learning in the quest for beauty.

Also, if we assume it is the case that many of his most practiced customers, with great systems and great listening skills, “find” something they like that Steve may not have investigated as thoroughly as them, does that make their discoveries wrong? I mean to me, in my system, a decent fuse for 20-40 dollars is a good value, and a great fuse, a notable system improvement… but this depends on how responsive the system is to improvements, and what we consider a notable system improvement, so also relative.

Perhaps complicating this, Steve has naturally become an Icon of excellent perception and discernment leading to musical design that enhances the musical experience for many of us over years… and lately lots of new folks since reviewers are fanning the fires we have been keeping. And something about how we are culturally conditioned, it is easy to make Icon’s knowledge somewhat of an end of the story, perhaps (or perhaps not) inhibiting our development for personal learning and needs.

To me, what makes Steve such a great designer is that he is seeking a realistic and life-enhancing musical experience, the tech, a part of it, but not the primary emphasis. And he has an unquenchable thirst for this, for himself as well as all of us, always seeking and finding new ways to give deeper potential for immersion with the beauty of music at home. And this experience, once refined, is well beyond "good sound,” and really complex if viewed from a linear view. Being based on complex body/mind experiences, there is just too much to measure, which points to insight as a guide. And for insights to happen relatively easily, our body/mind perception and discernment needs to be free to discover new things… not based on static assumptions that may have been pretty true at one time, but may not have not have been fully reevaluated as technology and perception/discernment evolve.

My take is that creative process can free up the mind to deeper discovery. The sense that something can be improved in some way(s) seems to be the beginning. And that leads to exploration, trying to find "it." Then explorations lead to discoveries, and the discoveries that work (or not), often come with sideline “gift” discoveries, not anticipated, but welcome… And if we are on a pretty clear and balanced track, however they come, improvements take it all beyond what we started with, ending up with “creations,” something new. Then, real baseline improvements in audio allow hearing more into the music, which can lead to insights for seeking more improvements that might further enhance the musical experience.

I figure this then extends to us to various degrees. Steve and other’s creativity help set a stage for us, and we carry Steve’s art forward in our spaces. Then, depending on how far we want to go personally, often it works pretty nicely just with a simple setup and complimentary gear. But Steve’s work is also so good, it can catalyze a need to follow a progressive path similar to what he is doing in design, pulling the best we can from his work. And Steve's designs leave room for our own creativity to build on the shoulders of his own creativity.... Clearly for many of us, room treatment, cables, vibration mitigation, tubes, fuses, etc become part of an ongoing creative project for many years on end. And ultimately, with super care to quality and compatibility throughout, this led me into modifications, my system finally coming to a place of not very notable weak links. For me, having made things my whole life, where else to go without spending a whole lot on unknowns while chasing the beauty and a more complete musical immersion. So I just fell into it... and though at least a little scared every time, I went inside.

Starting with a few signal path part upgrades, and bypassing the power supplies, once tuned pretty well, these were really exciting (this was before the A-mods)... what Steve had already set up became faster, more complex and complete... I got the bug. And that bug set up a long progression of exploration and discovery, mainly from adjusting with experiments with parts, wires and various bypassing. And nothing stayed that did not make what was there better at what it did… So I have thought about making an amp, and probably could now, but I am not an electronic designer, more an explorer of modification. And I have loved having Steve’s designs as a solid and expandable baseline to learn with and from. Also, at this point, I feel like my stuff has gotten so good it would be hard to beat (within reason), a lot of the electronics based on Steve’s excellent designs. That said, whenever it gets to where it seems it may be about finished, it lets me hear something new to try to refine, and the refinements always happen so far.

Anyway, my comments about "real deal" people, in this case Steve, I agree with you, I think he fits the description. And my interpretation of the possibility of our past views potentially coloring our more recent ones were not meant in disrespect. They were just to point to our potential for fallibility as humans. And if something feels a little off, taking respected authorities opinions as the end truth without further investigation can be self-limiting… Or not. And who knows, we all have our own priorities and pursuits, and may be listening for different things. But finally, in the context of our own creative study and experience, I figure our own exploration is the only way to really find out for ourselves…

My take on it anyway.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print