03/29/24 at 12:42:17 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Replacement fuse? (Read 13186 times)
craigcarter
Verified Member

Replacement fuse?
06/06/20 at 17:28:27

Anyone using these; and do they really make a difference for the cost?

https://www.musicdirect.com/fuses/hifi-tuning-fuses-gold-small-fast

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Replacement fuse?
Reply #1 - 06/06/20 at 18:07:24

If your system sound is complete, and revealing, fuses absolutely make a difference. It can be subtler or more notable depending on weak links that truncate some part of the spectrum, on system/room balance and transparency overall, and our perception. If you consider that all your component power goes through that little thing, it is easier to imagine how it can effect the sound.

Throughout, the power quality and flow is a determinant in how all the parts are "adjusted" by the power. If there is more or less noise, more or less clarity, more or less easy flow, each part or wire responds in kind....better power allowing all the parts that make our sound to be at their best... individually and collectively. So a fuse, in a sense, "conditions" the power based on the materials used and design qualities. Like different wires sound different, and different cables, depending on the type of metals used and the qualities of metals...purity and drawing methods, gauge, the dielectric used, damping, geometry, ends used, finally it all matters to whatever the wires are carrying.

Not sure where, but if you run some searches for audio fuses, or audiophile fuse, or the like, there have been discussions on this forum about them. Personally, I prefer the search button under the Decware banner rather than the box at the top...There is a pull down for when posts were made. I might set it for all.

Here, the fuse you linked to was one of my less favorite audio fuses. In my system it was a little veiled and dark, preferring the silver from the same company over that one. But this preference, like it all, starts with my particular system balance, the basis for how the  tonal balance of a fuse sounds to me. If my system is near the darker edges of "warmth," a fuse that is biased that way may not be as beneficial as a clearer one, or visa versa. And none I have tried are just alike.

It matters which direction you use the fuse also, in many cases, more notable than others, but especially after settling in a few days, I have heard a difference with all I have tried. Check around the forum though and see what you can find.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/06/20 at 19:38:10

As always Will gives a lot of information and the reasoning behind it.  

I’ve used the synergistic blue and audio magic Ultimate Premier.

I put the SR Blue in my P3 regenerator and DSD sr.   They did change the sound.   More airy and space maybe a little drier Vs stock fuse.

The audio magic in a Zrock. More better everywhere vs stock.

In the future I’ll be adding the Audio Magic fuses to my gear.

I’ve heard of the hifi tuning fuses not sure how they will sound. What I’ve heard is they do change the sound.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
craigcarter
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 06/07/20 at 18:32:41

Will and GroovySauce

Thank you both for sharing your knowledge, and I appreciate the search tip!  
I will check out the audio magic fuses.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/09/20 at 01:41:20

I've not tried the higher end fuses, but had good luck with the gold hifi tuning fuse and this one (which I found comparable, perhaps a bit better to the hifi tuning fuse):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1pcs-Aucharm-hifi-single-crystal-silver-nano-gold-plate...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/09/20 at 18:01:18

Looks like a nice fuse Pal. Thanks for the tip.

Craig,

Not sure what you are considering a fuse for. But in my early edition Torii IV, and CSP3 both (where there is only one fuse in the IEC inlet, and no additional fuses inside), the times I have blown fuses are when a rectifier goes bad. For me anyway, the few times it happened were when I put in a "new" NOS rectifier that failed on starting up. After losing a pretty costly Synergistic Research Red fuse to that, I usually remember to replace the fuse with stock when trying a suspect rectifier. Luckily I had gotten a lot of enjoyment from that fuse before I blew it Wink.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Badeentehe
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 07/22/20 at 05:03:14

Not sure where, but if you run some searches for audio fuses, or audiophile fuse, or the like, there have been discussions on this forum about them. Personally, I prefer the search button under the Decware banner rather than the box at the top...There is a pull down for when posts were made. I might set it for all.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 08/22/20 at 06:16:07

I had no idea fuses were a thing (why am I so surprised given it's audio and EVERYTHING is a thing) until they came up during a conversation about interconnects.

What are some of your favorite fuses? It'd be great to get some recommendations to roll 2-3 and see if my ears can hear the difference.

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 08/22/20 at 12:00:45

I've tried fuses from IsoClean, Furutech, Audio Magic and a Synergistic Research Blue. My favorites are Audio Magic Super, I have those in almost all my Decware components. They are directional--always try them both ways.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/22/20 at 15:58:59

Based on my limited research, the Audio Magic and Synergistic Research fuses seem to be the most highly regarded. I installed SR Orange (their latest & best) in my ZMA, CSP3+ and ZRock last year. A very noticable mprovement.

SR is running it's annual sale now, buy two and get a third free. Makes it a little less painful. These fuses are directional too.

Good luck.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/23/20 at 05:57:15

Appreciate it thank you!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 08/24/20 at 13:42:35

I recently installed two more Audio Magic fuses in my system, making them the predominant brand with only one Furutech remaining (in my ZBOX in the headphone system.)

The new ones are about completely broken in--one is in the PS Audio "Ultimate Outlet" I use in my main system, the other in the CSP2+ in my audio/visual system (a Super in exchange for an earlier "blackout" model). The subtle change they have made is to add a bit more depth to the sound and sound stage, and a bit more body to the imaging in a smoothening way (that is not obscuring any details).

In the audio/visual system it is a nice complimentary change to the other changes I made before that: a Wyred 4 Sound "Remedy" reclocker (used) with a new iFi power supply. Wow, did that help my DVR sound! I'd recommend that to anyone who is using a DVR into a DAC in their main system (in my case I run the DVR into my Oppo UDP-205 via Toslink, the only digital output on the DVR).

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #12 - 08/24/20 at 15:22:33

I found simple ceramic fuses to be a noticeable upgrade over basic glass fuses, in my current non-Decware gear. I'm tempted by "audiophile" fuses, but 100+ bucks for a fuse is a struggle for my Scottish Heritage.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #13 - 08/24/20 at 15:36:44

I can understand that. Ceramic fuses are an improvement, I've tried them.. . a good start . . . Wink

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #14 - 08/27/20 at 15:00:24

Interesting discussion here.  I haven't dipped a toe into the crazy world of audiophile fuses yet, but might give it a go.

I note that the manual asks for a 6.8A fuse...  I'm looking at the SR fuses and find that they do a 6.3A and an 8A.  Which one would people recommend?  Would the 6.3A be alright or would the costly fuse be more likely to blow at less than the recommended rating?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #15 - 08/27/20 at 15:11:39

Which component Master? I would myself not go up to the 8 amp and think that the lower one might well be safe in the component, but Steve would have the best answer (but I don't think he reads about replacement fuses on the forum).

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 08/27/20 at 16:50:01

Oops - Sorry.  I'm the lucky buyer of the used Zen Mystery Amp that came up on the classifieds forum the other day, so I'm talking about the value folks would select for the ZMA.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #17 - 08/27/20 at 17:16:18

Thanks. You know it's possible that 6.8 is a typo for 6.3. The 6.3 value seems to be a common one, 6.8 not so much.

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 08/27/20 at 17:34:23

I use a 6.3 amp SR fuse in my ZMA. It's a short variety, slow blow fuse. It works fine, no problems.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #19 - 08/28/20 at 03:31:18

Thanks!

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 08/28/20 at 16:30:42

I ordered a Hifi Tuning Supreme fuse from the UK.... and I accidentally ordered a Fast blow instead of a Slow blow. Is there any risk to putting that in instead?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 08/28/20 at 16:54:52

I don't think so. Steve would have the best answer but I think you'll be fine.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 08/28/20 at 16:58:48

Thanks Lon! I don't know anything about fuses obviously, but I would think a Fast blow would be "safer". It's just more likely to blow Smiley

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #23 - 08/29/20 at 02:25:37

Exactly right. No risk to your gear, just your wallet.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/29/20 at 04:18:59

That sounds like most of audio Smiley

IP Logged
craigcarter
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 08/30/20 at 18:00:38

Paul from PS Audio does a nice job explaining the "why" behind fast v slow fuses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFlnQ1chBno

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/30/20 at 22:44:33

Very helpful! thanks Craig. After watching this video, I think the question is whether the Fast blow will blow immediately upon the amp powering up..

My wallet waits for that answer with baited breath! The fuse is on its way across the Atlantic at the moment Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/31/20 at 01:18:18

Does anyone else recall, somewhere and sometime, Steve saying that slow-blow and fast blow are both fine for his amps? I think I do, but can't imagine where to look to verify, or if I happen to be remembering this correctly, if things have changed since.... @#$%^&

I always chose slow blow for new fuses, especially audiophile ones, thinking they might be a little less vulnerable to blowing while being safe for the amp, but the fuses I have gotten with decware components in the past have all been fast blow glass.

That said, I use all slow blow. Wink

IP Logged
Chester
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 08/31/20 at 01:48:08

Hi there,

I believe that the fuses inside are slow blow but the fuse next to the power plug is a fast blow.  Hopefully someone can confirm.  

SE84UFO25/Border Patrol DAC/Zu Omens/Zu Undertone Sub
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 08/31/20 at 02:08:21

I personally can't confirm this, as my amps were made before Steve started using those rectifier setups with fuses. In the amps I have, there is one fuse in the IEC inlet only.

I hope others with these fuses will comment, but if not, and if it is glass, I think you can usually tell fast or slow by looking at the fuse element. If it is a really thin/smooth wire throughout, it is probably fast blow. And if coiled, thickish, segmented thick and thinner, or has one or more little wide metal "bumps" on thinner wire, then I think it is likely slow.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #30 - 08/31/20 at 23:09:51

Wait....... there's more than one fuse in the amp?

Again, I have no idea how fuses work so I thought the one one was hear the power input plug. Regardless, when the fast blow arrives I'll post impressions here! And if it blows immediately, I'll post a photo Smiley

Richard

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 09/01/20 at 02:16:03

I don't think your new fuse will blow...I would think about it as being like the one you have been using, the same amperage and voltage ratings, and both fast blow. But the new one, made for better sound, it is very likely more stable in support of vibration mitigation, and made with better materials and design, so made better! Also the power inrush people talk about at startup with big solid state amps is different than your Taboo I think!

Smiley

If your amp is newer, and has the internal fuses, might be in some thread somewhere, but on the fuse threads I have seen, I am not aware of them having been experimented with and talked about yet.

But as my amps are, with no internal fuses, the IEC fuse makes a notable difference....effecting the power to everything in the amp, and therefore the sound coming out. Conceptually, the beginning of your power, seems to me it should help all the power, including that feeding internal fuses if they are part of the amp circuit.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 09/01/20 at 05:20:19

Sounds great Will - excited to try it out when it arrives and I'll report impressions here. It seems like everyone that has tried fuses rave about the impact. Is it as easy as opening the compartment, taking the old one out and putting the new one in?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #33 - 09/01/20 at 12:26:00

That's all you need to do. After a while try the fuse in the other direction. Odds are one way will sound better.

IP Logged
mastertrash
Verified Member

Reply #34 - 09/01/20 at 13:58:12

Interesting.  I had no clue about the fuses in the rectifiers...  My amp was built in late 2019, so I'm assuming it's one of the "newer" style models.  Let me do some digging on the boards...

In the meantime, I just ordered the ~$20 ebay fuse (6.3A) that Palomino suggested above.  In this crazy world, $20 seems like a small gamble.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 09/01/20 at 15:23:29

Thanks Lon! Even I can't screw that up.. much Smiley

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #36 - 09/01/20 at 18:56:37

morp,

I am not sure "rave about the impact" will fit for many, but it sounds like your system is quite revealing, and that you hear a lot with it, so if the fuse you ordered suits your system needs and tastes, with luck this will apply!
Cool

To me, like it all, a fuse's benefit (or not) is relative to its own sonic qualities, as well as those of everything else that makes our sound.

I have noticed a pretty wide sonic variability from different fuses depending on the emphasis and qualities of clarity, "warmth," smoothness, overall tonal balance, resolution, .... all apparently based on the fuse design materials and build.

But as much, like cables, tubes, etc, a fuse sound is so influenced by everything before and beyond, they can be difficult to gauge clearly.... Things like how clean the power is; how revealing and resolving (or not) components, tubes, and cables from the source on are; on system choices for darker versus neutral or brighter; on how much the room or headphones mask and accentuate different frequencies; and on how practiced and tuned up our listening abilities, perception and discernment are.

So beyond system synergy and tastes making the same fuse "better" or "worse," I imagine system/room variabilities could cause some to think of a pretty good fuse's effect as causing little, or even no change. And some could call it subtle. And some might call it pretty notable....

To me some "audiophile" fuses can be pretty so-so in general, while some can be quite resolving and musical, enhancing everything if the fuse's balance, smoothness, and transparency fit well with my sound needs. Then they make everything better! But a "good" fuse that is too warm for me, or too smooth, perhaps designed more for coloring too-clean sounding components, I might not like them so much, at least in my system/room. I do like the ones that work for me though!

I look forward to your and master's impressions.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 09/01/20 at 22:09:11

Very thorough as always, thanks will.

In my case, I havent installed mine yet in my Taboo MK 4. Im still waiting on Steve to tell me more about the 3 fuses underneath that protect the amp in the event a rectifier fails.

That said, I'm not into the idea of populating thosr 3 with more Telos quantum x2 fuses at $80 a pop.....then another for the ZRock2.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #38 - 09/01/20 at 22:25:28

All but one of my five Decware wood base components have the interior rectifier fuses. I've replaced the power inlet fuses only with upgraded fuses. . . and have heard distinct and significant sonic improvments.

I do wish Steve would post a FAQ about the values and other facts about the rectifier tubes. I've suggested it before. Hasn't happened yet.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 09/02/20 at 00:00:13

Thanks Lon, that is interesting. Maybe Ill install that Telos, but I want to wait another several hundred hours or so.

Hopefull at some point Steve will make good on your request.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #40 - 09/02/20 at 03:59:32

Thanks Lon, it's helpful to know that we don't need to replace all the fuses (especially the internal ones which I'm definitely not touching!) to hear an impact.

Will, I realized something: The EML 274B Rectifier I have in place of the NOS RCA 5u4g is providing the additional texture/weight that I loved from running the CSP2+ as a preamp, but while retaining a little more of the clarity that I think I'm overly sensitive to.

"Rave" may be too strong a verb. Comments on this forum, and from various other conversations, point to fuses as an overlooked component that makes an outsized difference vs. Interconnects etc. It's also not the right verb because it's usually positive, and I think you touched on an important point: there probably will be changes, but they may be positive or negative depending on the relationship with all the other components in the chain. Do you have a favorite or two?

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 09/02/20 at 22:04:38

Richard,

Thanks for the update on your tube use and preferences, and I too find fuses I like quite helpful.

But I am afraid I am behind, having become pretty satisfied with a Synergistic Research SR20 Quantum fuse in the CSP3, many generations old at this point, and Synergistic Reds for the PS Audio P5 and Torii, also a quite old model. In the CSP3 I like the pretty clear but somewhat richer tone of the SE20, and in the Torii and P5, both tending to warm, I like the cleaner, more "not there," Reds. I can't recall what I have in the Syngxer, but possibly a HiFi tuning silver, also pretty clean....I have WE fuse stickers taped on most of these to a nice effect, bringing out subtler micro detail and space in a fairly neutral way, and easily changed if a fuse fails.

Less concerned, not having rectifiers that could blow out the fuse if they go, I use a copper ground wire the diameter of a fuse, smoothed up and cut to fit the fuse holder for my DAC, big and complete sounding.

I almost always remember to change nicer fuses back to simple glass ones before trying questionable rectifiers. But I lost a costly SR Red one time, so came up with a good alternative I use in the Torii now. I found a slow blow glass fuse, one with a heavier, wider, smooth element, figuring it might be less prone to vibration than thin wire. Experimenting, I ended up with a 1/2+ WA fuse sticker (clean and nuanced) and 1/2 of a small Telos sticker (denser, less extended, darker and smoother than the WA) taped on. I figured the tape around the glass damped it a little too. This combination, both smoothed and clarified the sound from the fuse. It sounds clean like glass fuses, but without edginess, pleasantly a bit fuller, and subtly smooth with good fine detail. I quite like it in the Torii, and I just have to move the stickers if I blow one, something that has not happened since I found this solution due to a faulty pair of Telefunken GZ32s some years ago.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 09/03/20 at 19:26:14

Hi Will,

That's helpful. I'm literally starting from 0 with Fuses, so I figure the best way to assess impact and taste is to try a couple of brands. I have a Hifi Tuning Supreme coming (as mentioned above) and would love to try 2 others to see if
1) I can hear a difference and
2) Whether I have a clear preference

Based on your note, I'll add a Synergistic Research fuse to the list. Based on your note, would you recommend I start with Reds? I'm consistently in awe of your DIY gumption and know how.

HK, I know you mentioned you prefer Oranges but the initial outlay is probably too much for a first experiment. If I love the Reds, maybe I can convince my wallet to give the Oranges a try Smiley

Lon, I'll look for some Audio Magic fuses as well!

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #43 - 09/04/20 at 00:05:40

... and I just found a SR Black for $45 so that may actually be the first fuse tested. Made sure I didn't screw up and got the right Slow Blow this time Smiley

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 09/05/20 at 22:25:39

The SR Black arrived today, and after 30 minutes of listening (during the kids' nap time), there is a clear and discernable difference. More air, better bass, better dynamics - I think it's more impactful than any cable change I've made. I actually wonder whether there's too much air now.

Basic question: To make sure I'm doing it right, when I open up the fuse holder next to the power plug, there is a space for a fuse inside the fuse holder itself, and then a little hook underneath. When I opened mine, there was nothing in the fuse holder, but there was a glass fuse in the hook area. I take it that the one in the hook is the fuse that is operational and the space in the fuse holder is for the replacement fuse?

Thanks,
Richard

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #45 - 09/05/20 at 23:36:20

That's right Richard. The square holder is for a spare fuse if you want. When the fuse is mounted in the "hook" thing, when you press the fuse holder into place, it locks the fuse into the electrical contacts at the bottom of the of the IEC inlet.

I am glad you were able to get the SR Black at such a good price, as it uses the newer UEF technology where I don't think the Red does, the UEF being something that can be pretty impressive for bringing out nuances, space and finer resolution in general.

I suspect the fuse will smooth out some with more play. And don't forget to trade directions to see which you like best. In your setup, now would probably show enough to prefer it one way or the other, but especially once you are used to the sound and the fuse is settled in, I find it is worth checking again.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 09/09/20 at 20:06:15

Thanks Will! I put the old glass fuse in the square holder area, and put the SR Black in the hook. The Hifi Tuning Supreme also arrived today so I'll give it a whirl in the next couple of days.

I'm still in shock how much of a difference such a small fuse makes to the sound.  With the SR Black in, every aspect of music sounds better except for a little bit more grittiness for some reason.

Thanks for the advice about turning it around. I tried it a bit earlier and it does sound different - quieter, less dynamic, darker, though smoother. I'm pretty sure I have it in the "right" direction: When I'm reading the text on the fuse, it's going from left to right, and the RCAs on the Taboo are left on the left and right on the right. After I get used to it, I'll try it again.

Thanks for all the help,
Richard

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #47 - 09/09/20 at 20:14:58

Glad it turned out to make a significant difference for you! These components are so revealing that it seems we hear every little change.

IP Logged
morp
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 09/09/20 at 21:04:55

Thanks Lon!! Couldn't agree more. Decware components are just an incredible canvas.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 09/09/20 at 21:11:41

Amen. A permanent convert here! I am Enlightened  :)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print