Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 12:52:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New Production Tube Woes. (Read 8577 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

New Production Tube Woes.
05/30/20 at 16:04:45

I bought a pair of Gold Lion 6922 from upscale audio.

Currently running a ZMA.

After a few days the left channel developed a very high pitched tone. It was intermittent. Some days it wouldn't happen at all. Other days it would start and not stop. Then somedays it would come and go. I would get up to investigate and it would stop. This is why I thought it was an interference or grounding issue. Eventually I swapped the input tubes. The sound followed the tube.

After 15 days of use, I sent the tube back to Upscale and they replaced it quickly no questions asked.

I put the new tube in and all was well. After 3-4 days the noise started again very softly. Again the left channel. If I was smarter I would have made a mark on the tubes to see which was the new one and which had a few days use on it.

Have I had a string of bad luck or is something else going on?

Anyone else have issues with the GL 6922?

I've had 2 Electro harmonics 6922 get "windy" and "scratchy" with less than a months use.

Is this just the reality of new production tubes?

The price of NOS tubes has been increasing so I want to figure out some good new production options.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: New Production Tube Woes.
Reply #1 - 05/30/20 at 17:40:51

Sorry about the tube whine.  I had a similar issue with a Tungsram PC88 that I had in the lead position of my CSP3.  I also use them in my ZMA.  The tube that went bad was in for about one year.  I replaced it with a Russian 6N1P-EV.  (I think the EV is the military version and are more stoutly built.)  Those are great tubes and are readily available from ebay sellers.  I like them in my CSP3 and ZMA but I like the Tungsram a bit better.  The Tungsram are MUCH more expensive than the 6N1P-EVs.  The last time I bought the latter I paid $25 for ten, delivered.  My last Tungsram cost me $17 each!

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 06/10/20 at 12:25:58

Seems I got a bad batch of tubes.

I had 2 GL 12ax7 and 1 GL 12au7 all bad. 12au7 stopped working completely the 2 12ax7s were super weak.

I actually sent the ZP3 back to the Mothership thinking it was the amp that was having problems!

I've really been enjoying the GE 5760w with adapters in the 6922 slot of the ZMA. I ended up buying a bunch at $4 so I might give up on looking for a current production 6922 for now.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 06/10/20 at 12:51:08

I hear you. I have given up trying to find dependable new production input tubes that sound decent, I use old stock.

Those 5670W you are using are good inexpensive tubes. I've been lucky--I discovered a very interesting tube that possibly SHOULDN'T work in my SE84UFO3-25 Monoblocks and Taboo MK IV-25 DOES work and sounds fantastic to me: the 6085. I've tailored the system around these in the amps and ZROCK2 and I've been using Steve's meticulously tested and matched NOS 6N5P in my ZTPRE and Amperex 7308 from Holland in my CSP3 with the 25th Anniversary mods. Not the cheapest tubes on the planet, more expensive than those GE, but long-lasting and for me, like Goldilock's porridge, just right.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 06/11/20 at 16:40:34

Lon,

I picked up 1 Northern Electric 12ax7 and 12au7. They are custom commissioned for thetubestore.com

3 days ago I put the NE 12au7 in the ZROCK2. Wow shimmering highs! it was a little lean sounding. After 3 days it's filled out the midrange and the bass is quick and tight. I think it's a keeper.

$53 bucks matched and balanced. Compared to the NOS Amperex 6085 at ~$100 might be well worth it.

I'm tempted to try the Amperex 6085. If it smokes the NE then I'll be bummed. If it's close or I prefer it, I'll be a happy camper.

I'm really resisting NOS tubes. I'm still in my 30's so I don't want to see what NOS tube prices and availability are like in 40-50-60+ years. Maybe, this isn't the correct way to go about it though.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just ordered 1 more NE 12ax7 and 12au7 so I can try running a full boat of them in the ZP3 and Zrock2.

I had a NOS GE 5670w go microphonic last night.

NE and GL next to each other. " alt="" title="" border="0" />

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 06/11/20 at 16:51:23

I'm glad you are enjoying the new tube. Don't pay 100 dollars for an Amperex 6085. Recently I've purchased one Adzam (same tube as the Amperex, different Philips brand, same factory) for 25, one Philips (same tube as the Amperex, different Philips brand, same factory) for 50 and a sleeve of five Amperex for 150. I'm good for quite some time! Wait and look and you'll likely find one at a good price.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 06/11/20 at 17:09:30

Thanks Lon, I'll keep an eye out for them.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 06/11/20 at 21:20:25

Good news! I hope I'm not jumping the gun Smiley

I don't want to jinx myself. It now seems that it was the inverter tube that was causing the issue! I was only considering the input tubes.

Over the next few days I'm going to put some of the tubes I thought were bad in and see what happens.

EDIT: The really weird thing is when I swapped the input tubes the sound followed the suspect tube!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/29/20 at 16:43:14

Groove, did you ever try the Amperex 6085?

Brad

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/29/20 at 22:17:29

I never tried a 6085. I really like the Northern Electric 12au7 and 12ax7. I don't feel called to roll any tubes in my ZP3 or ZROCK2 with those in.

For the ZMA I'm running JSC VOSKHOD 6N1P-EB in the inverter. Electro Harmonix 6922 gold pins for input. Tung Sol KT66 for power. Westinghouse 0A3.

I should be receiving 6SN7 to 6922 converters in a few days so I will try a few of those.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/28/20 at 00:05:23

I've had trouble with Gold Lion 6922 tubes too. One was a little noisy. It was Upscale platinum grade, cryo'd. One was quiet, the other, not so much. Still sounds ok. I've also had trouble with Jesse's input tubes and a quad of Tungsol KT66's. Feels like I'm only batting 500!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/28/20 at 15:20:10

I'm over the GL tubes. The only ones I would consider buying again are the KT66's however, I prefer the tungsol kt66

GL 6922, 12au7, 12ax7, U77 I won't buy again unless I hear they have changed something significant at the plant.

I like the Electro-Harmonix 6922 both standard and gold pins. The EH 6922 in my CSP3 are great!

I really like the Tungsol EL34, KT66 and 12ax7 gold pin and standard.

Northern Electric 12au7 and 12ax7 are really nice tubes as well.

EDIT: Removed Tungsol 12au7 Don't like it at all.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/28/20 at 19:56:43

Who manufactures the Northerns?

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/20 at 14:32:34

Quote:
Who manufactures the Northerns?

I'm not exactly sure. They are built to spec for thetubestore.com. From their website " All of the design and production is overseen by a living legend in tube design, Zhe Shen Liu" So I'm guessing one of the Chinese plants.

It's my favorite new production tube I've tried in the ZR2. For my ZP3 The Tungsol gold pins are really close the Northern's are a smidgen more spacious than the Tungsols.

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 02/02/21 at 04:27:44

Just tried a pair of 6922 tubes, Electro Harmonix tubes. One quiet, the other, not so quiet. Pulled them back out and put the original 6N11 tubes in. Quiet as a mouse. I think I’m about done with new production input tubes. The 6922’s are from Steve. Frustrating!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/17/21 at 02:41:05

Steve is replacing the noisy tube. Has anyone had experience with GE 6DJ8 supposedly nos tubes?

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/17/21 at 14:24:58

Electro-Harmonix.....ugh. I tried a pair of brand new 6SN7EH just for shits & giggles, and they both were really noisy...sent them back for a refund.

I've seen disappointment with EH all over the internet.

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #17 - 02/17/21 at 16:03:13

I had 2 quads of the 6SN7 EH/GL tubes that came with my M60s when I got them.

I had very bad hum on power up.

Called Atmasphere and spoke with Ralph, the first thing he asked is if the 6SN7s where EH, that was the problem, out they went and I never had issues with any other 6SN7s since.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 03/04/21 at 14:09:53

I've had mixed results with EH tubes. 6922 (standard and gold pin) and "gold lion" KT66 (made by EH)I really enjoy.

The 12ax7 I've had bizarre experiences with. The sounds is good, then one channel will get weak. I put them on the tube tester and they are fine ???  

EH 12au7 are enjoyable.

I have 2 EH 5U4G and they both rattle and cannot get them to stop.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print