Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rectifier Tubes (Read 5622 times)
Louis
Verified Member

Rectifier Tubes
05/25/20 at 20:45:10

Greetings,

New to the tube world. My SE34I.5 is my first tube amp. It is part of what I call my all American system (Decware amp, Omega speakers, and MOFI turntable). Well my question,

What are the differences between the 5U4G, 5AR4 and 274b rectifier tubes. (Physical differences, pros and cons of each one of them, and sound differences).

The reason I'm asking is because I just bought an Emerson 5U4G NOS and it has five pins; the Decware supplied tube has four pins. I went by the suggested rectifier tubes listed for the amp (5U4G or 5AR4). I also read the 274b is an alternative for any of these referenced tubes.

Thanks in advance,

Louis

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Rectifier Tubes
Reply #1 - 05/25/20 at 22:04:36

Louis, there are different forms even of the same tube type so going into physical characteristics is a lengthy and somewhat confusing undertaking. I suggest just googling each tube type and reading up on them.

There are four pin and five pin rectifier designs. In general I believe four pin are earlier and five pin are later. But some newly manufactured rectifiers, such as the 274B type that you were likely sent with the amp and others made by Sophia Electric are four pin. Be cautious with the 274B type: there are modern 274B that are electrically compatible with the 5U4 type and these will work well with the Decware preamps and amps. The 274B of the past and those designed to mimic them in the present however are designed to work with different capacitors than are in the Decware components and will have a shortened life and may blow internal fuses in the Decware components.

There are almost as many favored tube types and brands of rectifiers used in these machines as there are owners. Each will influence the sound of other input, power and voltage regulation tubes, so a synergy of all is what many of us look for. Experimentation is really the only sure fire way to determine what is best for your room, system and tastes.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/25/20 at 22:10:01

Louis welcome to the Decware family.  Sounds like you have a mighty fine system.  What cartridge are you running?

As far as the sonic differences I’ll leave that to others.  

4 or 5 pins both work.  You should be fine using the Emerson 5u4g

With the 274b tubes double check that they can be used with a 47uf cap

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Ronald Wilkinson
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 12/05/20 at 23:58:42

Anyone use a RCA JAN CRC 5R4GY rectifier in Rachel? What do you think of this combo?

IP Logged
RickG
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/09/21 at 23:38:33

Does anyone have experience with a USAF-596 rectifier in a Rachael?

IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/29/21 at 15:11:22

I wanted to poke at this thread and ask for input from folks who are much more experienced than me.

I found an old post on the forum from Steve saying that he thoroughly recommends a NOS rectifier for Rachael. For me, though, I have no idea which one - and I do want a spare around so I'm never down.

NOS GE 5U4GB's seem very easy to come by - and come in both a regular and black plate version for a low price. Are these good? Should I be looking for something else? Where is a good place to source from?

Would love to hear from the voices of experience here, and then I'll just go buy something based on your input.

Thanks in advance,

Richard

IP Logged
CAJames
Seasoned Member

"I've run every
red light on memory
lane."

Reply #6 - 06/30/21 at 03:51:48

Here is a good discussion about buying NOS rectifiers:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1605822949

To answer your question directly though, GE isn't bad but IMO you are better off with RCA or Sylvania.

[FOOBAR2000 | Jay's CDT2 MRK3] -> Denafrips Terminator 2 + Gaia
Sumiko Pearwood -> Mapleknoll Athena -> Luxman SUT -> Maple-tree Phono 3E
Woo WA22 -> 2x UFO25s, balanced monos
Omega SAM , Hifiman Arya, Senn HD-650
  IP Logged
drford
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/02/21 at 17:11:37

Thanks - super helpful. I have ended up w. a Svetlana NOS 5u4 and picked up a pair of 807s while I was at it, so we will see how it all plays out!

R.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print