Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:45:08 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New CSP3 (Read 4692 times)
Greg C

New CSP3
05/19/20 at 21:20:18

...enjoying my new CSP3, especially with my headphones...I have a couple questions ...First, the rectifier tube seems loose...I noticed that when installing the tube, it slipped right in...usually you have to give them a little force to get them all the way seated...this seems in all the way but a little wobbly to touch ...Second, the glow on all the tubes in the CSP3 are really dim compared to my Torii Jr... you have to look close to see that they are lit up...seems to be working ok...guess I don’t have anything to compare it to, being this is my first one.

Just wondering if this is how it is supposed to run?...been reading in a lot of the forms where guys roll tubes often and the socket gets loose but this is first tube in unit ...might just be the tube, but seems to be working fine...tubes are warm so there is some heat but really dim compared to amp

Thanks
Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: New CSP3
Reply #1 - 05/19/20 at 21:44:16

It is likely a particular tube: I have some in my CSP3-25 that are loose in the socket (Sophia Electric Aqua 274B is one as it is a four pin rectifier, a few Chatham and Amperex ones also) and others that are tighter fitting. If it's glowing and working no issue there. . . just try not to "rock" it!

And yes, the tubes in the CSP3 do glow a bit less. That seems to be the design, nothing amiss.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #2 - 05/19/20 at 21:55:50

...thanks Lon

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/20 at 23:44:07

My CSP3 tubes are all tight (not a CSP3-25).  If you measure the loose tube pins with a caliper and post the info, I'll check mine for a comparison.  then we might know if it's a tube or a socket issue.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #4 - 05/20/20 at 22:14:17

...thanks for the reply Archie...below in picture shows the sizes of pins and guide with key...the pins seem to be tight, but the guide pin with key (center) measures .300 and the I.D. of the socket measures .345...so there is a little slop there, which might be in there tolerance range from specs or print.

...I m leaning more to agreeing with what Lon has to say about only being five pins compared to eight...as you can see the five pins a somewhat grouped together with three on front and the other two split on back...the bite of the pins in the socket are a little more towards front than back with nothing on sides...this, with larger inside diameter of the guide pin with key hole, could possibly cause a little rocking....

...that being said, I’m sure if there were all eight pins in tube,
it would feel more solid in socket.

Thanks
Greg

" alt="" title="" border="0" />

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/20/20 at 23:47:39

Greg,

I can't do a cool picture like you did but I have the same pin configuration and mine measure:  0.094, 0.093, 0.093, 0.094, 0.093 and 0.303.

I doubt the guide pin is meant to be tight but given the difference in our numbers, pin size might account for the looseness.  BTW, an 8 pin tube may exist, but I haven't seen one.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #6 - 05/21/20 at 23:33:53

....thanks Archie.. I think tube is ok ...well within there tolerance...new to tubes so I’m taking in all advice and learning from it.. I will say the input tubes are little stout puppies ... I think they are 9 pin and get a good little foot bite

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
s3steve

Reply #7 - 05/22/20 at 14:55:13

I had the same issue with the rectifier tube becoming loose. I was rolling some Russian Winged =C= 5U3C, a Tube Store 174B Treasure and the stock Art Valve 174B. I guess that was enough to open up the pin retainers. With the COVID thing going on I really did't want to send it back so I pulled it out of the system. This lasted two weeks, then I couldn't live without it. So I followed another members suggestion to just bend them in a little. Being a new amp I didn't really want to mess around with it in case I screwed something up.

The retainers are quite a bit more robust then I thought. I bent them in a little using a pointy set of tweezers.

Success!  The tubes now fit nice and sung! Grin

CSP3-25
SE34I.5
Ariston RD11
PS Audio GCPH with the Underwood upgrade
Bluesound Node N130
Altec 605B's in a 620 Cabinet / JBL 2402 / Markwart 605B Time Aligned Crossover
Omega Super 3 XRS
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print