Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 18:30:03 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moving the Listening Chair to Match the Recording (Read 3557 times)
Doug
Seasoned Member

Moving the Listening Chair to Match the Recording
05/19/20 at 03:02:01

Living in a house with a dedicated listening room for 13 years has been a huge blessing.  It has allowed tons of flexibility in setting up systems, especially when it comes to placing speakers.  Interestingly, there is one change I make nearly every time I sit down for serious listening.  I’m guessing that this change is not unusual, but I don’t recall ever seeing it discussed.  The change I’m talking about is moving the listening chair closer to or farther away from the front wall.  

Depending on the recording, the listening chair may be moved as close as 3 to 4 feet in front of the speakers, to as far back as 9 or 10 feet.  Every recording seems to have the perfect listening chair location that results in the most accurate sound stage depth, width, and height, and just makes the music sound the way it is supposed to sound—more like real musicians and real singers in a real space.

Anyone else do this?  Am I totally weird in this regard?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Moving the Listening Chair to Match the Recording
Reply #1 - 05/19/20 at 13:54:05

My home stereo in Cebu is in a tiled room. I have a computer chair as a listening chair. I do tend to roll forward or backward a foot or so to get the sweet spot just right.

I'm guessing the change in tonal balance change is one of the things that's happening. Sort of a poor mans ZRock  ;D

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Menjiva1r
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/20 at 07:42:03

At this point, pull out a measuring tape and a notepad, because it's time to compare some distances.

IP Logged
Menjiva1r
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 05/23/20 at 07:43:05

Now, pull out an estimating tape and a notebook, since it's a great opportunity to look at certain separations.

IP Logged
Menjiva1r
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 05/23/20 at 07:44:51

Presently, pull out an evaluating tape and a scratch pad, since it's an extraordinary chance to take a gander at specific divisions ifacetimeapp.

IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/26/20 at 23:33:22

Menjiva1r, can you elaborate in more detail?  Not quite sure what you are asking me to try.

My original point, though not stated outright, is that due to recording techniques, engineering, mastering, recording mic placement—and it may be that mic placement is the the most important—seem to dictate a single best listening chair position for every recording.  I was simply wondering how many of those that are able to move their listening chairs actually do so based on the specific recording being reproduced.  My system is capable of producing extraordinary soundstage depth, width, and height, but I am able to dial it in even more with listening chair adjustments.  This is especially true on better recordings.  Bad recordings pretty much stay bad no matter where the chair lands.

Thoughts?

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print