Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 13:26:46 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
resistors on binding posts (Read 833 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

resistors on binding posts
05/07/20 at 15:14:52

On the main site, Steve notes in the Taboo MK IV writeup:

"Some hardcore headphone enthusiasts will also use these speaker binding posts in an unexpected way by using the amplifiers binding posts to further tune their headphones by installing various size resistors."

Exactly what are the tuning effects?

How is this executed, ie, how to physically apply the resistors to the binding posts?

What values of resistors apply? Recommended sources?

Does the effects [whatever they are] also pass on to speaker listening?

Thanks, Brad

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Re: resistors on binding posts
Reply #1 - 05/18/20 at 00:02:16

no one who has owned a taboo has experimented with this?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 05/18/20 at 01:17:59

I did, I didn't want to be the first and only person to respond, but oh well . . . I used resistors that I found the value of in the forum, this was four years or so ago on my Taboo Mk III. I only used that amp for headphones at the time, and I didn't find the resistors made any improvement in sound and I really didn't have any problems they could have solved, so it was a brief experiment not repeated when I later got a Taboo Mk IV which I have used for both headphones and speakers.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 05/19/20 at 18:07:46

Thanks Lon, for your valuable info. I hope all is well.

Out of curiosity, do you remember what brands  and values of resistors you tried.

How did you physically apply them to the binding posts? [probably a really dumb question]

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 05/19/20 at 19:14:55

I honestly DON't remember; if you search the forum you can probably find the correct value, and I think I bought Duelund because I like Duelund resistors and wire, but I'm not sure. I probably have them in a box somewhere here but don't know specifically where at the moment.

As for attaching it's very easy--each resistor has two leads and they just attach to the binding posts. I was only using the Taboo Mk III at that time as a headphone amp so I didn't have to also attach speaker cables and I'm not sure how that would have impacted the sound via speakers. It's possible I didn't really use the resistors long enough to fully season them in, but they didn't really make much of an impact on the sound for me, at least not as had been reported by others.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/19/20 at 20:51:36

Thanks for the info and advice, Lon. You're a good soul!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 05/19/20 at 21:04:02

Lon, you mentionec Duelund which had me thinking.....Ive done some reading on the Duelund capacitors, and made a post in the general dicussion part of the forum. They make some very high quality parts.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/22/20 at 04:26:33

I checked in with Steve and he responded:

1. Brand is irrelevant since they're being used as a shunt.
2. Get ceramic type, 5 watt rating.
3. Try various values ranging from 8 ohms to 100 ohms.

I went with parts express and purchased 10, 25, 56, and 100 ohm ceramic resistors, 1 each, at 68 cents apiece.

Just wanted to share this for the benefit of anyone who's curious and would like to give it a shot.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print