04/19/24 at 20:00:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
volume pots (Read 6675 times)
nwavesailor
Verified Member

volume pots
04/27/20 at 22:47:00

I want to order a Tabbo Mk IV and wanted to know if I could opt for a single stereo pot and not 2 individual L/R pots?

IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Re: volume pots
Reply #1 - 04/29/20 at 19:57:31

After calling and asking this question, with no return call and posting here with no answer, I have moved on.
The Taboo is an amp I may want to buy at some point.

I guess if you have a long waiting list for amp builds, you don't need to get back to a potential DecWare customer in a timely manner.

Yes, I know...........they are building amps not answering questions from tire kickers!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/29/20 at 20:15:02

I'm sorry you haven't had a response in two days. Decware does have an issue with customer communications at times. There's only a few people on hand to answer, and I know that's a slim excuse. Over a few decades I've become somewhat blind to the reality, and do know that patience is needed (and is often rewarded). . . .

Reading what Steve has written about the Taboo Mk IV and how convinced he is of the efficacy of dual volume controls, and also owning one and finding the usefulness of the dual volume controls in two systems, I don't think that a single volume control is an option for this component. If it were I believe it would be posted as an option in the shopping cart basket, and it is not. Though in time you may hear definitively from Steve or Sarah.

The Taboo Mk IV is a wonderful component, a killer amp for speakers and headphones.  I'm listening to mine driving HR-1 speakers right now.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 04/29/20 at 20:21:46

Thanks for the reply Lon!

I can't see me, relaxed in my chair next to my amp, into the early AM hours listening to music with hp and needing to reach over and adjust 2 pots. Perhaps it is a great thing or Steve wouldn't have done it but it seems like a PITA to me!

The Taboo IV looks like what I was looking for having planar and dynamic headphones.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 04/29/20 at 20:39:44

I hear you, that would be a bit inconvenient. I'm lucky in that I can adjust via a remote. Still I do on occasion walk over and tweak the amp's volume controls. With a little experience and practice it's very easy to adjust each together at once or separately--and I often only do so to adjust "balance" for a particular set of recordings and it's very nice to have that sort of balance control either for room imbalance with speakers or recording imbalance on headphones.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 04/29/20 at 20:51:51

Ah! I wasn't aware of a remote being an option with the dual pots on the Taboo Mk IV. If I dialed in X level on the Taboo pots and could adjust it without grabbing each knob that would work. I thoght I might be able to use the remote of the TT2 but the DAC mode has no volume control.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 04/29/20 at 20:58:24

No, the remote is not an option on this machine. In this system I use the remote volume adjustment of the Oppo UDP-205 which I use for discs and the digital output of my DVR, and in the audio only system I have used the Taboo in (but generally use SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with the 25th Anniversary Mods) I use the remote volume control offered by the Decware ZTPRE preamp.

Dual volume controls can seem daunting but in no time at all it's very easy to acclimate to adjusting them, and the "balance control" aspect is really useful in many rooms and surprisingly more recordings than I thought there would be.

IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 04/29/20 at 21:22:24

Thanks again Lon!

I do think DecWare make GREAT amps.

Dual pots, in the early AM hours I listen and drift in and out of sleep, are not something I want to need to adjust.

I CAN'T be alone in this thinking..............

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 04/30/20 at 00:34:19

If I understand this correctly, there should be an option for STEPPED mono attenuators. Very easy to adjust and just a s accurate as any other method if not more so. I did this with a Rachael amp. No worries. Besides, this gives more control over imbalances of all kinds.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 04/30/20 at 00:47:07

I remember Steve saying he would not sell this with stepped attenuators as he felt that defeated the purpose of the dual adjustment for fine details in that the right spot may be in between steps. So it's dual "smooth action" volume pots. They work marvelously for me. Really I don't think they should stop you from considering this amp. You could look for a Mk III that is used, they come up now and again (I sold one a few months ago).

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #10 - 04/30/20 at 00:53:44

4krow wrote on 04/30/20 at 00:34:19:
If I understand this correctly, there should be an option for STEPPED mono attenuators. Very easy to adjust and just a s accurate as any other method if not more so. I did this with a Rachael amp. No worries. Besides, this gives more control over imbalances of all kinds.

I looked it up, here is what Steve said in the introductory thread in this forum about the dual volume controls and NOT using stepped attenuators:

No longer are there input level controls next to each input jack. In the past these went largely unused, and if they were used it was to adjust balance between channels. Now we have DUAL volume controls, one for each channel so that you can make fine channel balance adjustments. We feel STRONGLY that this is the best way to control level on a reference headphone rig, which this is. If you feel anxiety about using two controls, rest easy it's a wonderful experience compared to a single control... BY FAR.

Also, there will be no stepped attenuated options, even though we would likely sell a TON of them, the steps defeat the infinite adjustability that is so important with headphone listening, and in this case would also make it impossible to make fine balance adjustments defeating the purpose of having dual volumes in the first place.

IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 04/30/20 at 01:08:40

Yes, I had read that prior to posting. "Rest easy, it's a wonderful experience compared to a single control"

Yes, in terms of channel imbalance inherent in a single pot, I would agree.

Please tell me how it is 'easier' to HAVE to adjust 2 pots every time I need or want a volume adjustment? I am ultra relaxed at 1, 2AM listening to my headphones and I need to lean over and reset 2 pots? Heck I just reach over now and adjust 1 pot with my current and most other amps.

Sorry, not buying that it is 'easier.

Again, this looked like everything I wanted in a hp amp and I was fine with waiting months, but the dual pots are a no go for me.

One mans opinion I suppose.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 04/30/20 at 01:31:22

I find it perplexing that this is difficult at all. I put one hand on each of them and make fine adjustments simultaneously. Very easy to hear adjustments with headphones, takes a little more practice in the room with speakers. But really easy. If it's not for you I would be very surprised. I'd hate to see you miss out on a great amp for a "non-issue" as I not only see it but experience it.If you are really interested in the amp I would ask you to reconsider, strongly. Alternately I'd call until I reached Steve or Sarah and see if a single volume control version could be done. (Looking at the amp and what I believe to be the internal layout I'm not sure it's possible).

IP Logged
nwavesailor
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 04/30/20 at 02:16:18

I have placed an order for a ECP T4 hybrid tube amp and I'll see how it works for me in a couple of weeks.
If Steve will do a single pot, I may still order the Taboo and do an A/B with the T4 when the Taboo is completed in a few months.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #14 - 04/30/20 at 03:43:50

Thanks for the quick reply Lon. I appreciate it. Your going to think that this is a typo on my part, but it is not. It would involve a pretty big investment, but I have done it on certain equipment where it would fit, but not Decware units. Anyway, it is a combination of a ladder-shunt arrangement that yields 66 step of adjustment in 1db increments!. Wow, good news there. It can be done in either stereo or mono configurements, but the bad news is this>>> It takes up a bunch of room, since multiple switches, and resistors are used. I used it on my handcrafted headphone amp years ago, and find it to be overkill even for me. You could use inexpensive parts, but why would you bother? I used the best resistors that I could find for the price (KOA 1% metal film), and Gold Point switches. Fine product by any standard.
 Lastly, I will state that there are some infinitely variable pots with many detents. Just wanted to add some options, or not, to the table, but yes, it would likely be a special build or aftermarket thing.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
doukhobar
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 05/20/20 at 17:52:44

Two volume pots is clearly better, but not easier. It is better because it gives you more control. With speakers, not all rooms are perfectly symmetrical, or perhaps you desire to sit outside of the sweet spot. Dual volume controls make all this better, since you can increase volume of the speaker further away, for example, or lower the one closer to you for casual listening sessions. Also, it can account for imperfect tube balances in"new" old stock tunes. With headphones, it gives you precise control over the volume in each driver, which for drivers resting on your ears, makes a tremendous impacts. Not all recordings are perfect, nor are all tubes. If you want one volume pot, why not just buy a used Taboo mkIII? I love mine, but wish I ahd the dual volume control!

Torii Jr, Taboo III, Dennis Had Firebottle amp & LP2 pre, ERR speakers, Omega 3XRS, Omega Super Alnico XRS, Bryston BDP-1, Kora Hermes DAC, Pear Audio Robin Hood TT w/Cornet 1 tonearm & Hana SL cart, ZP3 Cryo Beeswax caps, Bob's Devices SUT, HD800, LCD2, Zenwave
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print