Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:18:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Using European 220volt ZMA in US (Read 3812 times)
cmdc

Using European 220volt ZMA in US
04/27/20 at 22:16:08

Hi,

After months of watching Decware, Audiogon and HiFiShark, I was able to buy a used ZMA.  The original owner is from Denmark and accordingly, the amp is wired for 220v.  As I understand the research I’ve done to date, 220v is substantially the same as US 240v, and the amp should also be fine with US 60hz AC.  I think all of this means I should be able to install a 240v outlet, and it will run the ZMA just fine.  That said, I’m not remotely an electrician, and I’m unclear how the differing single pole/double pole wiring between the US and Europe comes into play—or even if it does.  In the meantime, I’ve ordered a Rockstone 1000w step up converter to convert 110v from the AC outlet to the 220v the ZMA needs.  I’m mostly making sure doing this won’t damage the amp in any way.

As I said, I’m not an electrician, and I do plan to hire one to put the outlet in, but before doing so, it would be great to hear from folks who have run a European wired amp in the US, or who better understand the pitfalls of doing so.  Thanks.

Cmdc

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Re: Using European 220volt ZMA in US
Reply #1 - 04/27/20 at 22:57:19

I’d suggest contacting Decware and sending your amp to Steve and have it converted to 120v

I’m currently running a ZMA with a 750w step up transformer and it works well.

Edit: 230v ZMA

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #2 - 05/27/20 at 19:31:48

My apologies for the very slow reply, and thanks for your response. I went ahead with the Rockstone 1000 watt Transformer, and it’s working really well.  The ZMA is amazing.

Main:[[TD124 [Koetsu RWS>SME 3009S2Imp][Aidas Durawood>Moerch DP6]][TD124 [Ortofon A90>Kuzma 4Pt9]]>Ned Clayton Cinemag SUT>Dodd Audio Phono Stage>ZRock2][SonicTransporter i7>Mytek Brooklyn Bridge]>ZSB>ZMA>[Zu Druid Mk V][Caintuck Lii 15 OBs/Bass Baffle]
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/29/20 at 22:03:51

Glad you’re enjoying it.  

Does the rockstone transformer hum/buzz? The goldsource one I’m using is quite loud.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
cmdc

Reply #4 - 06/05/20 at 18:23:20

Thus far, I haven't had any hum/buzz problems at all.  Mine has been very quiet.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 06/06/20 at 12:19:08

We had a very violent storm that knocked out the power for hours some people days.  

Once the power came back on the step up transformer no more hum/buzz.

The entire systems noise floor dropped significantly too.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 06/06/20 at 13:34:24

Wow! Perhaps the electric company replaced something that was causing the hum.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Carlsbad
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 07/15/22 at 03:51:11

Old thread but I'll put my 2c in.  European 240V power is different that US 240 but your amp probably can't tell the difference.  In europe, you have +240VAC and ground.  in the US you have +120VAC and +120VAC, but they are out of phase so that between them is 240VAC.  This allows us to use 120VAC off of either leg to ground (aka neutral).  

I installed a 240AC circuit at my stereo and ran an Ayon Spark Delta tube amp with it.  However, the Ayon has a phase detector to tell you if you have the 240/0 volt wires hooked up correctly.  the US convention power causes that light to come on.  It doesn't hurt anything.  

The amp uses 4x 6C33C tubes and it runs quite hot, I wanted to see if the US convention power was causing the input transformers to run hotter.  So I ordered a step up transfomer from Amazon, marketed for powering EU appliances.  I was shocked that it produced US convention voltage.  So I returned it and ordered another.  I did this 4 times until I got one that actually put out 240V, 0V as you would expect from a transformer designed for EU equipment.  

It didn't make one bit of difference.  

I will say that the transformer was not very efficient.  I put an ammeter on the supply.  the amp pulls 400 watts but when plugged into the transformer, the load was 700 watts.  So I would definitely recommend installing the 240V circuit if you use a 240V amp long term.

240V is a nice feature since doubling the voltage reduces the current by a factor of 2.  This has the same effect as making your power cord a higher gauge wire.  Win-win for an amp.

If you do use a transformer, oversizie it. You don't want your transformer limiting your amp.  For this 400W amp I used a 2000W transformer.

The amp sounded great, although perhaps a bit bright. I couldn't take the heat, thus I went to a Rachel and now a ZMA.

Jerry

Decware SE84UFO w/20th mods
Grimm MU1 Streamer
Lampizator Golden Gate 3 DAC
Tekton Encore Speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print