Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 21:27:02 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UltraAnalogue Recordings & Digital Downloads (Read 15912 times)
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

UltraAnalogue Recordings & Digital Downloads
04/27/20 at 01:42:10

I'm happy to announce UltraAnalogue Recordings is releasing selected tapes for digital download in 2 formats:
DSD128 and 24/192kHz FLAC

This is to give audiophiles who do not have tape decks a chance to hear these recordings...

These are 1st generation 2xDSD recordings of the 15 ips analogue master tapes. The PCM FLAC files are derived from these DSD128 copies.

IMHO I feel 2xDSD comes closest to the analogue master tape character...
The only thing better is an analogue tape copy from our website!

Please have a look:
https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop-digital-downloads/

I hope you will enjoy this timeless music!

Please all stay safe in this crazy Covit-19 time...

Ed

IP Logged
charles hidalgo
Seasoned Member

Re: UltraAnalogue Recordings & Digital Downloads
Reply #1 - 04/28/20 at 15:43:49

Hello Ed. I looked briefly though it was on my small phone screen and was wondering if there are any full length sample songs to download and try before shelling out what looks like 50 dollars an album?  I own a few of the tapes but was curious about the digital versions.

Thanks

Charlie

SEWE300B #004
HDTv2
Zbit
Schiit Freya+
Schiit Loki Max
EverSolo Streamer/DAC combo
Custom AT turntable
Softone phone stage
TEAC and Otari tape machines
SVS Pro 1000 subs
Nordost cables
WWW   IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/28/20 at 21:01:10

Hi Charles,

Thank you for your interest! I think the best way for you to get an idea of the sound is to have a look on my YouTube channel....many of the analogue master tapes were recorded at the same time as these videos... of course what you're hearing on YouTube is pale compared to the sound on the tape & subsequently on these downloads... with classical music, the performance is key & on YouTube, you will see this..

If you believe any of what Steve's talked about the sound of my tapes, I think you can be comfortable about the sound of these downloads...

In fact everyone who buys my tapes...$295US each does not have a sample tape to hear...

Maybe what I've written isn't what you want to hear, & I don't want to sound bad, but I think you will like the sound....

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/28/20 at 21:04:03

If it's any comfort to you, since these have been released (less than a week), I had a new person buy 12 of these downloads from New Zealand...
I don't know him, he's never ordered my tapes... totally new!

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/28/20 at 21:07:48

Here is a comment from 1 week ago on What's best Forum..

Edward Pong
Industry Expert

kswanson27 said:
Downloaded the Narita recording last weekend. Superb sonics and performance. Virtually quiet--no tape hiss or background noise. Great dynamics too. I'll be a buyer for more when Ed releases them.

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/28/20 at 21:39:58

Ken is talking about the download called "Tatsuki Narita" it's 5 tracks of violin show pieces which is a tape universally loved...

I think it's a good one to try if you like violin music. Here's a review of that tape from David Denyer...  https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/2019/03/25/review-a-classical-musical-mastercl
ass-from-ultraanalogue-recordings/

Here are a few links to 2 recent concerts with downloads:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boWAZCxwuis&t=1206s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q84K6pkRyYg&t=156s

Hope this helps!

Ed

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #6 - 04/29/20 at 04:21:42

Here is a wonderful page on UltraAnalogue's web site with samples.  Please visit it and watch some of these videos.  You'll be glad you did.  

https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/sample-videos/

The fact that you can watch one and click a button to have it delivered to your door - a 1 to 1 real time copy of the 15 IPS master tape from the holy grail of craft studios out of Canada is an incredible luxury and extremely rare. You have no idea. A reel of tape like this has so much palpability that you can listen to  it over and over each time it is nearly new. For example, you might get lost in the touch of the keyboard one day when you listen, the next day you get swept into the violin, the next day you are taken by the interplay between the two, the next day you marvel at the resolution of the recording, the next day you get lost in the acoustics of the space, the next day you discover the piano itself, the next day you discover the bow of the violin and realize it is an instrument in and of itself.  You thought it was only two, it is three. This is what happens when you purchase a tape machine and buy a master tape. Yes, you could own 10 albums for the same price, and while musically more diverse, when you friend comes over to hear your stereo, not one of those 10 albums will be selected, instead the master tape and if the evening goes like it should, after you have listened to it once, and taken a short break to figure out what just happened, you have to listen to it again.

This is why tape is worth the price. Now to have DSD of these analogue masters is really almost too good to be true. Compared to the sampling of HD tracks I've downloaded over the years, this is in a whole separate league and it will give people a window into the incredible talent on Ed's tapes. This is important because it is about the music. In Ed's world, the absolute insane recording costs lift and elevate the music. In the rest of the world, the saying "it's about the music" is an excuse for why it wasn't recorded all that great.

Now that Ed has generously made his work available in DSD, perhaps he will admit that 7-1/2 IPS reel to reel tape is considerably better sounding, and those are the machines that get most tape guys started, many who move on to 15 IPS machines. If were me, there would be small reels of 7.5 IPS, there would be SVHS tapes of the video performances, and there would be metal cassette tapes for those Nakamichi fanatics, of which I am also one of. This would plant a lot of seeds. You can't just set a pyramid in front of someone and expect them to have the resources or confidence to climb straight up to the top of it if they've never done it before. They needs steps. A training pyramid first. Then a junior size one, then the more serious deal, and then finally the holy grail.

As for samples of the actual download tracks, it is difficult with classical music because a 15 second sample could just be silence before a sudden burst of notes... how do you pick what 15 seconds to use... still if someone could manage that, it would also push a lot of people over the edge... I know for example when I purchase HI RES digital music, I do not need a sample of the music.  I already know the music. I listened to a low res version of it. I don't need more than 10 seconds or so to hear if the recording space is appealing to me or not. That and that alone is what determines if I press the download button or pass. I can assure you that if Ed did this, no-one would ever pass. In fact, it would elevate the standard enough that when people return to HD tracks and listen to samples, they will never hear them quite the same again.

One of the reasons for this huge gap between most stuff on HD tracks and Ed's stuff, is that the industry is fond of getting the digital recording onto a computer and using Protools to normalize and or manipulate it, often both.  This tanks it in my opinion compared to taking a tape machine and dumping a 1 to 1 copy onto a pure hardware recorder with no computer involved is a whole different deal.  This approach sounds very close to the actual analog tape.  Again, you would never know this, because no-one other than myself, and Ed do this.  

Sorry, just my unedited as usual thoughts - I just get get excited when I hear these recordings because the resolution and overall balance and the way they are dynamically animated makes commercial compressed CD's sound like soft serve ice-cream melting down the side of the soggy cone onto your hand.

Happy listening, and I can promise you that if you enjoy the video, imagine setting on a stool about 15 feet away from the piano, front and center, and feeling it like it was real. This is the density of tape that nothing else quite has... but I would say that the DSD files Ed is offering played on top-drawer digital equipment will narrow the density gap between DSD and TAPE far beyond the norm since these are direct 1 to 1 hardware transfers. Seriously the digital world could transform itself if it only stayed away from the computer for printing. If all recordings were digitally mastered on hardware only... and then dumped from hardware directly to a file without being molested by software or it's operator, it could be a whole new world.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #7 - 04/29/20 at 04:59:48

Another good link for anyone new to the format of reel to reel tape:  https://thereeltoreelrambler.com/reel-to-reel-tape-a-beginners-guide/

WWW   IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 04/29/20 at 13:26:46

Dear Steve,

Many thanks for your most eloquent words!! A joy to read...!
I'm a real Dodo when it comes to words...

I totally agree you on the 71/2" tape front.... it is analogue & very good if one tweaks all the repro electronics. I think the real key to everything is NOT to change the recording format... as soon as one changes (messes) with the analogue signal, it's never the same.... & the ultimate instrument is our ears & brains....

As I'm making these 2xDSD recordings of the masters, I'm really struck at the depth & detail in the sound of even the earlier recordings....(we've improved the playback signal path over time & it just goes to show, there is infinite detail in the master recording... you just have to go retrieve it...)
This is also a chance to hear "real" DSD recordings as I think most commercially available DSD recordings were edited in PCM, since you cannot edit DSD, then converted to DSD by software... (a format change makes it less pure..) Steve maybe able to talk to this...

These DSD128 download files have only had the metadata (track info) added with no computer manipulation, no zipping, just the files from the digital recorder... as pure as it can be...!

I'm hoping these digital downloads will give more people a chance to hear these great performances in living sound...!

Glad to hear you are well in the Covid-19 time... stay safe!

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/01/20 at 20:16:48

I've just uploaded a 1:06 Sample track in DSD128 and 24/192kHz FLAC
It's the opening of Danse Macabre from the download "Tatsuki Narita"

My web gal will hopefully get it up tomorrow... will let you know..

I hope this will give you some idea of the sounds...

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/02/20 at 17:51:02

Dear Charles,

I have uploaded 2 free Samples (DSD & FLAC) to the site for you to hear the sound... They are real downloads, so you have to enter info, but after you checkout ($0.00) the download is just below, so please scroll down & download the clip...

It's the opening of Danse Macabre on the "Tatsuki Narita" download...

Please let us know what you think...

Ed

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 05/13/20 at 03:33:44

A couple comments...

A) it's not a simple file you can click on to hear a sample of the sound quality, but instead you get to add it to the cart, fill out your name and address and then download.  Normally this would be a deterrent to people who have never met you, but having gone through the process myself, it was painless, fast, no credit card information or other crap, just the instant download.

B) having heard the sample, the above now seems meaningless.  In fact I can publicly state that the Flac file is a demonstration of two things; first it is a demonstration of the silky roundness and smooth palpability that comes with analog, better than you have ever heard most likely because other digital files are not done the same way.  Second, it shatters your definition of dynamics.  It makes everything you own in your digital library sound second rate.

Please for God sakes, download the sample and see if I'm full of crap:  

A lot of people who have never heard Decware think I am, so why not give it a test and see?  I'm telling you, for all you stubborn audiophiles who won't get into tape, or even in some cases vinyl, this is must have material.  The price tag is a steal and you will not hear digital recordings like this anywhere, trust me.  Most of you would easily hand me $50.00 if I said I can make your digital sourced stereo instantly sound nearly twice as good as you've ever heard it, even your iMac on the desktop will get twice as good.  You would say sure, let's see you do it... here's $50 bucks.  I take the $50 bucks and hand them a memory stick with the 24 bit Flac files -- they plug it in and press play.... 7 seconds later they press pause and say "keep the $50 bucks."  By the end of the tape their face hurts from smiling so big.  

Literally these specific recordings are the best you can ever hear your stereo sound, and I have a nice collection to compare against so I know it's true.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #12 - 05/13/20 at 04:46:28

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 05/13/20 at 04:56:32

A dynamic range rating of 15 on Roon...  typical digital files are doing good to have a rating of half that.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 05/18/20 at 00:29:57

Thanks so much Steve for your kind words!

A word about digital... DSD cannot be edited as a DSD file. I believe since all commercially available recordings have some degree of mixing & editing, all recordings available in DSD have been converted to PCM to edit, then reconverted back to DSD... to sell...

With my DSD files, there has been no such conversion. They are basically the raw files from the digital recorder with only the metadata added, so you have a chance to hear a very pure DSD file... my sense is, it is quite analogue like...

It's not tape, but for a fraction of the cost, it is very very good... IMHO

IP Logged
hells

Reply #15 - 05/19/20 at 02:12:01

Ed,

It would be awesome if we could download the samples without giving a ton of personal info and signing up like Steve said.

- Brandon

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/19/20 at 16:18:02

I've increased the time of the Samples to 2 minutes... you will get a true sense of the sound character...

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/20/20 at 16:53:45

I have just uploaded 2 more Free Samples, my web gal will publish them soon... https://ultraanaloguerecordings.com/new/shop-digital-downloads/

They are DSD128 & 24/192 kHz FLAC files of:
Paganini Caprice No.5 in it's entirety.... Tatsuki's virtuosity & simultaneous musicality is unbelievable... you will not hear it played like this anywhere...

This is from the download: "Paganini Caprices No.1-8"

Enjoy!

Ed

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/20/20 at 23:37:19

The 2nd Free samples are up on the website: Paganini Caprice No.5

Please have a listen... Tatsuki was Paganini that day - Amazing...!

Enjoy

Ed

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #19 - 05/21/20 at 02:57:45

Ed, be sure to also post these incredible jewels in the DIGITAL forum!

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
hells

Reply #20 - 05/21/20 at 21:37:35

As I said in the other thread Ed made, these are fantastic recordings, and after a great chat over email, I can safely say recorded by a passionate and great fellow as well! He has lots of interesting stories which make the music even better for me. It's a great set of recordings!

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/21/20 at 13:54:03

I finally found time to listen to Ed's digital samples on the Ultra Analog Recordings website. I am simply floored by the equisite musical selections and amazingly realistic recording he has been able to achieve. Bravo maestro!

I will be purchasing some of the DSD128 downloads in the near future, as I do not own a reel to reel system. These recordings will be welcome listening selections for my modified Cambridge CXN V2 when Dan Wright can finish up the mods.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/23/20 at 03:54:52

I'm happy you like the Samples...

I think if you like classical chamber music, there are lots of wonderful music to chose from... show pieces & complete sonatas...

If you like cello, I'd suggest Narek's
Albeniz – Asturias
Shchedrin – Imitating Albeniz
Tchaikovsky – Nocturne
Pezzo Capriccioso
Sollima – Lamentatio

I've been playing this in my car recently, all fun pieces & the Pezzo is amazing!

Ed

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 08/24/20 at 04:48:55

Mr Pong,
Do you have an interest in recording Choirs? My new interest in music is the Russian Church Choral music, such as the Rachmaninov - Vespers, or the Tchaikovsky - Hymn of the Cherubim.
USSR Ministry Of Culture Chamber Choir is thus far my favorite ensemble.

Do you travel to where you could record a Russian Choir?

Brian Albin

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 08/24/20 at 14:37:53

Brian,

Thanks for your question! I think voice is one of the most beautiful of instruments & I've tried to record a small choir... It had only 10 voices, one of which was a colleague. Unfortunately he fell ill & passed away suddenly before we could do it... the type of choir you're talking about is not possible for me as there are complicated contracts etc.

Classical chamber music is my passion & recently I released an interesting clarinet & piano tape: it has the Beethoven Moonlight Sonata together with Debussy Rhapsody for Clarinet, & Weber Concertino for Clarinet. The clarinet has an incredible range of sound...

Ed

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 08/25/20 at 07:07:40

Those are beautiful pieces of music.
I have heard the Joan Enric Lluna, soloist-conductor, Real Filarmonia de Galicia rendering of the Weber. Only through the computer. It would be wonderful to hear on high fidelity playback.

I am sorry you can not get the contract to record a professional choir. That is dissapointing.
Choir is something that does not sound well to my ear if it is not recorded with best technique & equipment. The sound comes out too muddled.

Brian

IP Logged
Ed Pong
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 08/25/20 at 13:39:39

in this day & age, recording big ensembles are a complicated & expensive proposition. (unions...) Without major label distribution, it's out of range for small labels...

Please check some of the Sample Downloads on my website:

They're timeless music played passionately...

Ed

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 08/26/20 at 07:24:27

I thank you, Ed for the recommendation of the recording samples.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print