Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 10:33:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How would a SS rectifier tube affect sound? (Read 2568 times)
roggae
Seasoned Member

How would a SS rectifier tube affect sound?
04/24/20 at 15:30:17

Does anyone use something like this?  or have you?  just wondering if the sound is affected much by the rectifier being SS.  TIA!

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: How would a SS rectifier tube affect sound?
Reply #1 - 04/25/20 at 13:06:40

The only comments are from folks with musical instrument amps. The Decware amps that are designed with rectifier tubes would probably sound different with this solid state drop in. Not necessarily better, but different.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 04/25/20 at 15:12:31

Though it's not a drop in replacement, the ZTPRE has solid state recitfication. . . and man it sounds perfect. I confess I enjoy not having to worry about finding the right rectifier for it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/31/21 at 19:13:31

I just picked up 4 SS rectifiers for my Torii MKIV.

https://www.tedweber.com/gadgets/copper-cap-rectifiers/

I got a pair of WS1 and WU4GB

The WU4GB is designed to replicate a 5u4gb tube with 50v of voltage drop.

The WS1 is designed to have no voltage drop.

I put the WU4GB in this morning and have been letting it play.

I did email them as the WU4GB says it's not designed for hifi amps. The response was that the WU4GB might become too hot and fail, because the higher current in hifi amps vs guitar amps.

I figured I would give it a go and hope for the best, after 4 hours I can briefly touch the copper case. The inner transformers are much much cooler than with the tube rectifiers. The outer transformer is "barely warm"

How does it sound? I would like to get 50+ hours on them before making any real observations. At this point I say it sounds much better than expected.

If only I had a rig I could burn in both pairs without tubes.

I'll report back once I've racked up some hours.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/22/22 at 14:24:52

WS1, has no voltage drop. I didn't like it. it sounded thin it really prevented me from getting into the music. I would have thought it would be closer to a 5AR4 and be a more dense sound.

WU4GB, 50v drop. I’ve enjoyed this pair. Has strong ZMA vibes.

Compared to RCA 5U4G 70's (ST shape) It has a stronger presentation, more powerful feeling, more control of bass. It does lose some subtlety and nuance.

Sound stage is wide and deep, however the RCA 5u4g bests the SS in every way in this area.

RCA 5u4g has better micro dynamics and detail.

The WU4GB does seem to play a touch louder.

I ordered another pair with more voltage drop 58v.

I didn’t try rolling any VR tubes. Someday the itch might get me and I’ll open up that avenue. I’m happy with the buy. They are another option when fine tuning the system.

I spend many nights not wanting to leave the system, one more song… over and over again. That to me is a winner.

Word of caution. They don't have a "soft start" they are instantly full power which might be hard on tubes.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
JBzen
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/23/22 at 13:13:16

I spent many nights with the ZKIT1 pumping out tunes while glued to my chair. Just want to add here that I just recently change the stock spec diodes to ultra fast ones in the board amp. The result is another layer of noise was shed revealing more detail. The comment of a larger sound stage with tube rectification makes sense and probably will lead to the next tweak or even a point-to-point build.

Thanks!

John

AMC CD8b>XO3>Cambridge CXN2>ZDAC>ZBOX>braided silver/occ> Zrock2>CSP2+>SE84 milflex copper 25th>9AWG silver/copper braid>lii Crystal 10 in Huijgen cabinets. Ortofon 2M Black>JVC QL-F4/Otari MX5050B2>ZP3. Isolation. AC filtering. Room treatment.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print