Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/24 at 08:35:30 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Steve Vai School of Rock Zoom Session (Read 2107 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Steve Vai School of Rock Zoom Session
04/23/20 at 20:59:31

For those of you guitar fans out there... Steve Vai is doing an online Zoom Session for the school of rock.  Don’t know much about the details, but here is the  Zoom link..

https://schoolofrock.zoom.us/j/606861837

The session is for tomorrow at 3 PM EST.  Obviously you will need a zoom account to login to participate.
I’m going to tune in just to see what it’s all about.  

Below is some text I copied from the page...

If Zoom app is installed, please click Join Meeting.

First-time user, please download Zoom app from Apple App Store.
Enter Webinar ID #:  606-861-837 after you install Zoom app.

Or join by iPhone one-tap (US Toll):
    +16465588656,606861837#
    +13126266799,606861837#
    +16699006833,606861837#
    +12532158782,606861837#
    +13017158592,606861837#
    +13462487799,606861837#

Download from AppStore

Also....today they are featuring drummer Matt Starr at 5 PM. EST.  He played with Mr. Big, Ace Frehley from KISS, Guns and Roses, Whitesnake, Quiet Riot, and Rainbow.  The Webinar ID is the same for Steve Vai.

Rock On and Hope You Enjoy!!

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Re: Steve Vai School of Rock Zoom Session
Reply #1 - 04/24/20 at 04:46:37

I actually watched the session today with the drummer Matt Star.  It was noteworthy and enjoyable to watch.
Steve Vai tomorrow should be awesome!

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/23/23 at 23:07:46

I gave up many years ago on trying to improve on guitar.
But, Steve Vai is one of my favorites.

Can you imagine being hired by Frank Zappa as a music transcriptionist?
An early part of his work was to transcribe from tapes to sheet music all that Zappa had created on the fly, improvised and all, live and studio.
Yikes!!

Anyone can respect his guitar work, but to keep up with The Mad Scientist of rock music? Good luck!

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
rayd
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/24/23 at 08:46:48

Steve was at Berklee while I was there although a year ahead of me. I didn't know him nor of him at the time (there were hundreds of guitarists at the school) but I remember buying "The Frank Zappa Guitar Book" - and pouring over the guitar solo transcriptions Steve did. Love Five-Five-FIVE (I believe alternated between 2-bars of 5/8 then 5/4 IIRC). I still have that book somewhere in the attic. Amazing work!

Five-Five-FIVE · Frank Zappa
Shut Up And Play Yer Guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7TWtcpO1zE

https://www.zappa-analysis.com/five-five-five.htm

The opening chord parts are very easy to play actually:

From: https://www.zappa-analysis.com/shut-up-n-play-yer-guitar.htm
"SHUT UP 'N PLAY YER GUITAR

1. Five-five-FIVE

All solos from what was originally record one of "Shut up 'n play yer guitar" have been transcribed in The FZ Guitar Book. "Five-five-FIVE" is not representative for Zappa's solos, using multiple scales. This "Shut up 'n play yer guitar" opening solo begins with an unusual chord progression in a 5/8 - 5/8 - 5/4 metre (hence its name). It's a progression of chords all using the open D and G string of the guitar as pedal notes, upon which the same chord type is played through keys that keep changing. The chord type is a 9th chord in the positioning fourth plus fourth plus major third. In the following note excerpt the first three bars are given in their complete form containing the first two 9th chords; next only the eight sequent 9th chords are given (all played in the same rhythm) plus the closing 5th chord. The origins of "Five-five-FIVE" go back to 1975, when this sequence was played using 5/8 only. In this study an example of this type of soloing during a "Chunga's revenge" performance is included in the FZ:OZ section.

Five-five-FIVE opening chord progression (midi file).

Five-five-FIVE opening chord progression (notes).

The 9th chord is played subsequently on the lowest notes F, E flat, G, A, B flat, A, C, D, hereafter ending with a 5th chord on D flat. The structure is thus completely determined by positioning the 9th chord and using the D and G string. Traditional harmony is totally ignored: the chords following upon each other don't have notes in common and the D and G don't have to be in the same scale as the 9th chord. Even the positioning of the chords with the last 5th chord on D flat becomes chromatic.

Zappa in Guitar Player, October 1995:
FZ: "It's in 5/8, 5/8, 5/4. You count it like this: One-two one-two-three, one-two one-two-three, one-and-two-and-three-and-four-and-five-and.
GP: "How would someone approach that without feeling as if they had two left feet?"
FZ: "It's a very guitar-oriented piece because of the way it uses the open string. So it's kind of an easy thing to pick-up on the guitar, in spite of the odd rhythm. As long as the numbers involved tend to frighten you, though, then the odd rhythms are not your meat. Don't worry about the numbers - you just have to worry about what the feel is. When I wrote that particular song I never even stopped to figure out what the time signature was. I don't worry about that when I'm playing the guitar. If I'm writing it for an orchestra, then I do. But I don't calculate how things that I make up on the guitar are going to look on paper or how it's ultimately going to be. I just play it and then figure out what it is later, after I've recorded it". "

Decware SE84CS Zen Select, vintage Philips CD880 w/CDM-1 MK2 transport & TDA1541A S1 DAC, Parker 95's, Promitheus Audio TVC Reference 1, Blue Jeans Cables, NOS Tubes, HAL-Os
  IP Logged
Same Old DD
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/24/23 at 21:27:40

WOW!
I'm glad I'm not alone here!

Vai is kind of amazing.

Do not misunderstand, but I still have "Shut Up And Play Your Guitar" in my sleep play mix. Sometimes the only thing that can get my brain set to time out some is Zappa's guitar work.
I use it.

SE84Cs Mono'ed, Lii Audio F15 OB, W15 "H" Frame Subwoofer, McIntosh MC2500, Lazarus Pre, Dual TT, Ortofon, Kleenline Iso Power, Revox, Crown R-R, Pioneer Elite Digital Source
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print