Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 06:26:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USB Cable Recommendations (Read 6073 times)
Tal
Seasoned Member

USB Cable Recommendations
04/11/20 at 00:21:38

I recently received a new Denafrips Pontus DAC. Currently the DAC is connect to a LR PC via a WireWorld Ultraviolet 8 usb cable which connects to the DAC. When streaming from Tidal, the sound will cut off for a second. This will occur multiple times during an hour listening session. Otherwise the sound is beautiful.  I used the same set up with my Schiit Bifrost DAC with no issues. The Pontus uses R2R architecture, which very is different than the Schiit. I downloaded the latest USB driver from Denafrips with no improvement. I'm not sure, but maybe  the Pontus is testing the limits of my current cable?
With that said, I wanted to reach out for recommendations on USB cables options that you may have had good results with. I would be willing to spend up to $250, which is a big leap (for me) for a usb cable.
Thanks in advance

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: USB Cable Recommendations
Reply #1 - 04/11/20 at 01:33:25

I was using an older laptop and was connecting to a Schiit Modi Multibit DAC and had the same type of experience. It took a while but I finally noticed that the browser, when reloading advertisements, was causing the interruptions. It had nothing to do with the USB cable. I bought a new laptop and that problem has completely disappeared.

Since then, I also upgraded to the Denafrips Pontus from my Schiit and had no problems using a normal USB cable. Your problem has nothing to do with the Pontus.

Now the bad news. After reading many reviews, I bought a silver based USB cable, the Curious USB cable, and it has seriously elevated the performance of the Pontus in my system. I paid around $400. I bit my lip when paying for it but have absolutely no regrets now. It makes that much of a difference for the better.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 04/13/20 at 20:29:38

Art

your diagnosis was spot on. Pontus plays beautifully when playing directly from my hard drive. I suppose my internet speed has slowed now that everyone is at home all day streaming Netflix, etc. Thank you COVID-19! Wink

Anyway, I listened to Pontus all weekend. Man! this thing is awesome. Significant step up from the Bifrost.

Thanks

Tal

SE84UFO2 25A mods x2, ZP3 25A mods, CSP3 25A mods, ZRock2 25A mods, Rega P3-24 Incognito tonearm rewire and Groovetracer mods, Bob's Devices SUT > ZP3, Denafrips Pontus + Hermes, Bluesound streamer, Zu Soul VI, Omega DeepOmega8 sub,
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 04/13/20 at 22:24:46

Tal,

I'm glad I was able to be of help. There was one thing that initially confused me with the Pontus was the Phase Reverse (Reversal) switch. It has to be ON to be in normal phase. I assumed the opposite until I accidentally hit the switch rather than the OS/NOS switch once. I was initially surprised how much better it sounded until I finally realized I had it in reverse phase before.

The Pontus is a really excellent DAC. I am sure you are likely to enjoy it as much as I have.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 04/22/20 at 01:13:47

Rather than start a whole new post, what about digital coaxial cables? Am I going to hear a significant difference between Blue Jean and Audioquest Carbon for 4 times the cost?

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 04/25/20 at 17:50:57

I'm waiting with baited breath for my Denafrips Ares II to arrive from Singapore.

I almost upgraded to the Pontus, but my wife is in full construction mode with our house and I didn't want to poke the bear too hard.

My old go to USB cable was a Mapleshade, but I gave it away with my Wyred 4 Sound DAC, now I wish that I'd kept it. I don't see them for sale anymore, so I may be shopping for a new cable soon.

I wonder how hard it would be to build my own???

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 04/25/20 at 22:40:15

Donnie...I started to build my own set of interconnects and it wasn’t that hard.  I am  guessing that USB is probably more involved due to dealing with jitter.  

For me...I bought the bare cable, the connectors, used some pure Cardas silver solder, and some inhalation of nice flux when the soldering began, but it was not hard. And my skills are basic.

I bet you can do it with some research.  Give it a try!!

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Tal
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 04/26/20 at 15:22:43

Donnie

Been listening to my new Pontus for a few weeks now, and I couldn't be pleased. No regrets! The Pontus was a big step up in both $$ from my Bifrost. But I think it was a well for the extra coin. Everything I've red about the Ares is positive. Hopefully you will have similar results.
Tal

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 11/11/20 at 19:42:15

I’m reviving this post to share a recent experience. A few months ago, I started to experience slight skipping when playing my music files from my audio PC to my DAC. It started sporadically, then gradually it progressed to several skips per song. I was convinced that either something was wrong with my PC or with the DAC. I contacted PS Audio for a troubleshooting session. The tech suggested 3 possibilities to start with - Swap out USB cable, reinstall the DAC drivers, reinstall the latest Windom update. Sounded like a reasonable series of steps. I just knew it wasn’t the USB cable. It was a nice aftermarket cable about a year old. I started there, and I’ll be damned if that didn’t fix the problem. Don’t know what happened to the cable, but it went bad. I just have an el cheapo in now, but just ordered a better one. Moral of the story - if you ever saw the film, Sling Blade, start with the simplest things first (it ain’t got no gas in it) and progress from there Wink

Edit: Yes, made sure the (bad) cable was plugged in good on each end. Also examined it closely and did not see a thing wrong with it.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print