Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 11:41:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP3 ... fuses in the center of the circuit ... (Read 4320 times)
safebelayer
Seasoned Member

CSP3 ... fuses in the center of the circuit ...
03/31/20 at 02:44:20

I purchased this CSP3. I'm concerned with the legitimate nature of the unit as it was purchased for a screaming deal off of OfferUp. It all looks right, but in looking at the circuit compared to the one on the website it looks very different. Note the fuses in the center of the circuit. I recognize that the Jupiter caps are a standard upgrade.

Thanks for the help

csp3_circuit.jpg
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP3 ... fuses in the center of the circuit ...
Reply #1 - 03/31/20 at 03:15:55

That fuse panel is now standard. My CSP3-25 has it and my Taboo Mk IV and Monoblocks also have them when built.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 09/28/20 at 16:53:25

When we upgrade our fuses, do we upgrade these in addition to the one at the IEC power cord connection? Or is a fuse upgrade for a component considered complete  when we only upgrade it at the IEC?

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 09/28/20 at 20:12:52

Just the IEC.

I asked Steve about sending him some beeswax fuses to put inside my CSP3 when he was building it. He said that it's barely a difference. After some thought, I took a pass on having the internal ones beeswax and spent more money on records.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/28/20 at 20:14:21

Thanks Groove, that's great info!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/29/20 at 21:53:14

Groove, did Steve say anything about slow blow vs. fast blow for the 3 rectifier fuses [ two 500ma and one 6.3a I believe]?

I'm pretty sure the main [IEC] fuse should be slow blow.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 09/30/20 at 01:24:01

No, he didn't say what values or fast or slow. I also don't know the values and fast or slow blow on the 3 internal fuses. Are you thinking about putting in some aftermarket ones?

6.3A seems really high! If I recall correctly the IEC is a 3A slow blow for 115v.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Q
Reply #7 - 09/30/20 at 01:34:24

You're right Brad, it's a 6.3. I found this post from Steve:

The small green board you see is a fuse holder that is directly soldered to the tube socket pins of the rectifier tube.  It has three fuses.  Two are 500 mA fuses that protect each leg of the high voltage against shorts inside the rectifier tube. Additionally there is another fuse protecting the heater windings for the rectifier rated at 6.3 amps.

These fuses protect the power transformer and the filter caps from any damage resulting from a shorting rectifier tube. Since there are several ways a rectifier tube can short we incorporated three fuses. Today where rectifier tubes are made in China, Russia, and Yugoslavia you are going to have shorts. Also since new many (NOS) new old stock tubes have been trading hands for in some cases over 60 years, they have been vibrated and beaten around to a point where many of them are more prone to shorting then when they were new, even though they have never been used.

If you are an avid tube roller, you are eventually going to blow one of these fuses. When it happens, be glad it did because without the fuses the power transformer and possibly the filter caps could have been damaged before the mains fuse had a chance to blow.

I use regular fuses in these, but there is no reason audiophile fuses that are not fakes shouldn't sound better.  The thing with audiophile fuses you have to be careful of is that your spending $70 (for example) on something that is designed to blow up.  My advise is do all your tube rolling with regular fuses until you find that one special rectifier tube that you can't live without and then if you want to use audiophile fuses that aren't fakes, by all means do so.

Steve

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 09/30/20 at 02:04:07

Lon, great post.

I remember somewhere it was posted that Steve said slow or fast blow, it didn't matter. Frankly, I don't understand this.

I imagine that if the main fuse is a slow blow, it follows the 3 fuses protecting the rectifier are slow low as well.....but I'm not certain.

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 09/30/20 at 04:23:10

Groove, I'm just going to purchase a few cheap glass fuses as backup to the 3 protecting the rectifier. I see no need to spend 6-800 bucks for 6 high end fuses (amp + preamp).

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 09/30/20 at 12:06:15

Lon. Thanks for sharing.  

Piezoman. Makes sense.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print