Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 13:34:35 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wicked One step 7 45 degree cleat (Read 1440 times)
Dustin
Verified Member

Wicked One step 7 45 degree cleat
03/26/20 at 02:09:49

I'm using manual 01, Rev 7/2011 plans. On step 7, there is mention to "make sure you install a small 45 degree cleat to this inside corner. Usually 3/4 x 3/4 inch works well."
The arrow is pointing just below the green intersect line that comes off of the black bottom right to top left middle line. However in the picture of the first page of the instructions the cleat appears to be sitting on the right side wall if the horn is facing away from you. There isn't any information on how far up the wall the cleat goes nor are there any intersecting lines on the right hand or left hand walls. The pictures don't show any support in that corner  or any corner. How far up the sidewall is the cleat mounted?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Re: Wicked One step 7 45 degree cleat
Reply #1 - 02/23/22 at 17:00:22

Hard to believe that no one answered Dustins post so long ago.

Maybe the ansewer seemed too obvious to some.
I just always run cleats top to bottom and near a corner I always put an extra screw into the cleats to help secure the corner as the top is installed.

Call it overkill if you like, but I don't have air leaks, even when rolling the tone generator down to 5Hz or so and dumping a couple of hundred watts into the drivers.

Yes, even though I found WO plans when they were offered for free as a promotional item, I still bought Steve's plans over the years.

I have built many of these Wicked Ones and even upscaled them to use 18" drivers for club use. Still one of the most versatile and best designs out there.

I only built them for my own amusement mainly, but I have also helped out a few special friends along the way with bands getting going.

Never really made a penny doing so, but that was not the point of my quest to help friends.
My re-up, using mid grade 18"ers cost less than $800 per pair to build and, except for a KW or so amplifier and adequate XO they were in business with the difficult part of house sound.
Then My Buddies could ROCK any club in the area with jaw dropping bass.

I still have the flat, 8-up 4" version sitting in the corner, unused for years.

Not sure why interest in the WO has dropped off so dramatically. But then, I'm still an old dried up, half deaf, recovering concert sound guy. Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print