Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 16:10:23 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Worst song on the best album? (Read 8373 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Worst song on the best album?
03/21/20 at 11:51:23

You all have your favorite albums. What is the worst song on those albums?
For me it would be on Warren Zevon's album "Excitable Boy" and the song would be "Night Time in the Switching Yard". A throw away disco song on a album full of incredible song writing and imagery.
So have at it, tell me the turds among the roses.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: Worst song on the best album?
Reply #1 - 08/01/20 at 08:41:34

The Beatles Abbey Road - I just got the 50th Anniversary remaster of the Beatles Abbey Road on vinyl.  A great mastering of an already epic album IMO, it's easily one of my top 40 albums of all times.  I find myself always skipping over Maxwell's Silver Hammer.  I used to love this song when I was a kid, but I skip over it more often than not anymore.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 08/01/20 at 17:44:56

Funny you mention MSH.  My daughter was trying to remember which song that was and she described it to me as, "the one with the serial killer who dispatched his victims with a hammer"!  Lennon had a few songs with twisted lyrics.  "I'd rather see you dead, little girl, then be with another guy."  WTF???

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 08/01/20 at 20:25:16

Which is the perfect lead in to another worst song on a great album. That lyric is from “Run For Your Life” from Rubber Soul. Clearly, IMO, the worst song on that album. I always considered it filler.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/02/20 at 01:32:08

I personally think Lennon was a bit twisted.  As far as i know, he wrote the songs with the most disturbing lyrics.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #5 - 08/02/20 at 01:38:51

Hands down, number one with a bullet winner for me is "Money" from Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.  There are songs I hate much worse, but nothing associated with an otherwise superb album....I think they wrote it just to get airplay and get some well deserved and overdue recognition, so it's a forgivable offence.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 08/02/20 at 03:35:05

What about “Feelings?” Thats the worst song ever.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #7 - 08/02/20 at 03:54:17

I think that "Muskrat Love" would be in contention.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 08/02/20 at 05:56:47

Maxwell's Silver Hammer -

Starr told Rolling Stone in 2008: "The worst session ever was 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer.' It was the worst track we ever had to record. It went on for blanking weeks. I thought it was mad."[6] McCartney recalled: "The only arguments were about things like me spending three days on 'Maxwell's Silver Hammer.' I remember George saying, 'You've taken three days, it's only a song.' – 'Yeah, but I want to get it right. I've got some thoughts on this one.'"[16][better source needed]

I remember reading something to the effect that Paul was actually thinking that this was going to be "the single" of the album.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 08/02/20 at 06:17:57

@ Archie and @Geno

Yes, Run For Your Life is way to misogynistic to work in our current climate of social justice warriors and virtue signalers that's for sure.  Lennon, out of all The Beatles, did have quite a few off colored lyrics.  That said it's more often than not for me it's Paul's "Granny songs" that are the ones I usually skip over.  Which brings me to my next song I always skip over.

Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - "When I'm 64"

SPLHCB is another epic album, with another good mastering job done and probably one of the most defining moments of all time in pop music with the song "A Day in the Life".  But when it comes to "When I'm 64" absolute skip!  Most of Paul's other songs on this album are really good though IMO.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 08/02/20 at 06:24:29

JohnWatson wrote on 08/02/20 at 01:38:51:
Hands down, number one with a bullet winner for me is "Money" from Dark Side of the Moon by Pink Floyd.  There are songs I hate much worse, but nothing associated with an otherwise superb album....I think they wrote it just to get airplay and get some well deserved and overdue recognition, so it's a forgivable offence.

Really?  I wouldn't say that it's my favorite tune on the album, but I wouldn't think of it as a contender for the worst song on DSOTM either.  But, I've never really thought about the "air time" aspect/take on it ~ which does seem to make a point, it is by far one of their most radio friendly songs of that era, perhaps you're onto something.

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/02/20 at 06:46:44

Rivieraranch wrote on 08/02/20 at 03:35:05:
What about “Feelings?” Thats the worst song ever.

I have Feelings on vinyl, but probably have not played that album since I was 8 or 9 years old.  Do you play that album and are there any other noteworthy songs on it that you skip "Feelings" for?

Donnie wrote on 08/02/20 at 03:54:17:
I think that "Muskrat Love" would be in contention.

Haha, I had the album Song of Joy from the Captain & Tennille on 8Track when I was a kid as well, who knows where that 8 track has gone at this point.  Is it the C&T cover that you hate or there another cover of that song that you hate worse? I know that America recorded it, etc.

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #12 - 08/02/20 at 10:12:55

Feelings is a great contender, but my vote would go to 'I Believe" by Cher...I mean I get nauseous if I accidentally hear it.

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #13 - 08/02/20 at 10:41:06

Quote:
Really?  I wouldn't say that it's my favorite tune on the album, but I wouldn't think of it as a contender for the worst song on DSOTM either.  But, I've never really thought about the "air time" aspect/take on it ~ which does seem to make a point, it is by far one of their most radio friendly songs of that era, perhaps you're onto something.

You have to understand where I'm coming from.  Pink Floyd was new, spacey, experimental...an oasis in an otherwise desert of pop music when I was young.  By far my favorite band and influenced what I listened to growing up and even now.  When they put out a "Pop" song I assumed it was to get airplay and was probably a strict business move to get them some well deserved recognition.  They are not a pop band in any way shape or form, but only an old guy like me who grew up with them would probably think that about that song.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 08/02/20 at 17:18:33

Quote:
Yes, Run For Your Life is way to misogynistic to work in our current climate of social justice warriors and virtue signalers that's for sure.  

Let us not be so quick to label things as unacceptable in the era of SJWs when, in fact, it is twisted and wrong in any era.  We may have our attention tuned in more than ever but think back to that time period, was it okay to murder your girlfriend because she might break up with you?  Not in the world I lived in.

Not everything is correctly seen through the current divisive political/social lens.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 08/02/20 at 17:21:37

JW, I don't agree with your take on PF.  Listen to some of their early rhythm and blues (if that's the right categorisation) works.  They were all over the place.  I always found WYWH very jazzy.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #16 - 08/02/20 at 17:44:19

Archie,  I'm not suggesting they didn't expand and progress, I'm just saying they were never about airplay.  If you listen to DSOTM, it's like the flow of the album is interrupted by one song out of character.  JMO.  BTW, the Ummagumma tour was fantastic!  When they did "Careful with that Axe Eugene" there was a blinding double flash that exploded onstage as the screaming started.  Quite an impression on a coliseum full of slightly stoned teenagers.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 08/02/20 at 18:54:54

They did have more "commercial" sounding songs on DSOTM and WYWH especially.  The album I was thinking of was Meddle.  That one goes all over the place.  Of course, they had some early pop songs thanks to Syd Barrett.

Im pretty forgiving when I like a band.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #18 - 08/02/20 at 20:55:52

I agree, I was only speaking in context to the original question.  There is only one other person I would put on the same pedestal so far as influential and important to my musical tastes and that's Brian Eno. I also have to confess, I purchased my first electrostatic headphones and put on DSOTM and before I realized it, I was tapping my foot to Money...it startled me, but I stand by my statement.  I know it's a very popular song with many, many folks, but my tastes for popular radio played songs pretty much ended in high school when my local radio station started playing album cuts and B sides of people who weren't getting regular radio play.

IP Logged
JohnWatson

Reply #19 - 08/02/20 at 21:02:51

BTW Donnie, did you know that "Werewolves of London" was a song based on the movie of the same name. Phil Everly who had just watched the movie, challenged Warren to adapt the title to a song.  Zevon never thought it should be made into a single...it was not his first choice for the album.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 08/02/20 at 21:48:41

JohnWatson,
Yes I had heard that before.
There is a interview with Warren Zevon where he was asked if he hated playing that song every night and he replied to the question by stating how it was what was expected of him and that was how he paid the bills.

I often wonder how musicians can play the same song over and over, but I suppose it is no different than me doing the same tasks day after day at work.
I guess the advantage of my mundane life is that there aren't thousands of people watching my every move, they would soon figure out that I was scamming my employers for my pay!

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 08/03/20 at 18:03:22

Back to the original post...

Cream, Disraeli Gears, Mother's Lament.

While on the subject of Cream, what other great bands absolutely suck live (on albums anyway).  Jefferson Airplane comes to mind.

ZLC
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Silver Cabling
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print