Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DSR-II Silver IC's (Read 5261 times)
piezoman
Ex Member

DSR-II Silver IC's
03/17/20 at 02:19:15

Hi everyone,

I have one last consideration as I put the finishing touches on the new system. Currently I have a pair of EMM Labs Isopath which are fantastic and kicked the tail off several different sets of Kimber ic's  I tried in my previous system. So these are perma-keepers.

For those who have the DSR-II, how does this hold up over other ic's you've had? Also, Ive been a fan of copper, these are silver which would be a departure for me. Aparrently these are not thin and a bit shrill?

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Re: DSR-II Silver IC's
Reply #1 - 03/18/20 at 13:30:17

I won't go into all the steps I went into upgrading my system but I am a fan of silver now that the rest of my system is of sufficient resolution to easily see the effects. When it comes to cables, I first added one of the silver interconnects. My first impression was more high end energy being generated, first classified as being bright but easier on the ears. This high end energy seemed to manifest in the mid range and lows as greater detail. A specific sound in an orchestra I was familiar with became several distinct sounds. In terms of imaging, there was a greater clarity within the sound field itself.

The other thing I would emphasize is that this is a cumulative effect. Having copper in other cables does not make it as clear as I describe above. For me, from the digital side of my system, was when I added a Curious USB cable to connect to my DAC. At that point all my cables are silver based and my description above is very obvious. However there is one last thing that really becomes clear with all silver is that all the greater detail that passes through the silver eventually manifests as real high end air. I am hearing this on my CainTuck Lii 15's, a full range 15 inch driver. I have had systems with more extended highs, including electrostatics, and have never heard air like I am hearing now.

My unofficial guess, based on my hearing, is that silver allows more information to pass than copper. It is the cumulative effect of all silver cables that shows this effect it in it's true glory.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 03/19/20 at 04:07:14

Artman,  thank you for that analysis. I too have had electrostats (Martin Logan Theos) and enjoyed the mid and upper range detail. I have since sold them, along with a push pull amp and some other components. Currently on the long end of a waiting list [see my sig]. This will warrant a changeout/ sale of my current ic's. I have found out since my original post that your observations have been echoed by others out there. Any hint of sibilance is more a function of substandard components. So, I decided to go "all silver" and order DSR-II's for each component.

I am, however, leaving in all copper CRL speaker cables. I will try the STYX silvers, as I have a bid in for a used pair for < half original price.

Thanks again for such a great explanation.

Regards, Brad

IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 03/19/20 at 14:30:41

Brad,

One good thing about buying Steve's silver cables is that they are very reasonably priced. That really helps with the pocketbook.

Regards,

Art

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/19/20 at 15:34:33

Art, you got that right. The pricing in the world of esoterics and not so exotic is beyond absurd.

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 03/19/20 at 21:52:20

And Steve’s power cables are very robust, very nice. Especially at that price of $189.
I’ve seen some power cables get into the thousands of dollars.

Torii MkIV w/ 25th ann mods
Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/19/20 at 21:58:05

I hear that Tommy.

Part of my order now includes a total 5 power cords and 3 of the silver ref. IC's. I'm replacing everything and selling what I have.

But I also need a pair and a single 0.5m IC terminated with XLR's, and I found out Steve doesn't offer these. Does anyone recommend a source that's on par with the DSR-II's?

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 03/19/20 at 22:16:40

piezoman, Steve recommended the silver ones from Better Cables to me. That is what he uses and they seem fine to me. Even better, they are NOT EXPENSIVE!

IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 03/19/20 at 22:26:35

lazb,

EXCELLENT! Just what I needed. Thank you!!!!

Looks like this is the one: https://bettercables.com/collections/audio-cables/products/blue-truth-xlr

Or this one: https://bettercables.com/collections/audio-cables/products/silver-serpent-balanc...
ed-xlr-audio-interconnect-cable

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 03/20/20 at 17:28:15

Labz, same thing for me.
I needed balanced cables for my ZBIT, and Steve recommended Better Cables which I was pleased to discover are both high quality and relatively inexpensive.

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node
Zu Audio Mission speaker cables
Decware I/Cs
PI Audio MiniBUSS
Zenhead, Grado 325e
  IP Logged
piezoman
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 03/20/20 at 17:31:53

Tommy,

Which XLR Silver did you purchase from Better Cables?

IP Logged
Tommy Freefall
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 03/21/20 at 22:58:15

Piezoman,

I have these in a 1 meter pair:

https://bettercables.com/collections/balanced-xlr-cables/products/silver-serpent...
-balanced-xlr-audio-interconnect-cable?variant=389875466

Same as in my photo:

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1583111181

Rachael SE34I.5
Benchmark AHB2
ERRx
ZStage, ZRock2
Tascam CD-240
Border Patrol DAC
Benchmark DAC3 HGC
Bluesound Node