Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/24 at 00:57:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best used open back Planars for around $500 (Read 2870 times)
designtaylor
Verified Member

Best used open back Planars for around $500
03/14/20 at 19:11:32

Hey gang,

Looking to add a nice pair of full-size open-back planars to my collection. I typically buy used gear to stretch my dollar. I've got a pair of Hifiman HE400i which I think sounds really fun bit a bit unrefined and a set of Mr. Speakers Aeon Flow Closed-Back which have some great detail but feel a bit boring and narrow. I have a handful of other non-planar cans but I'd really like something that delivers on the planar sound in a big way. $500 - 600 used is my starting budget.

I've been looking at the Audeze LCD-2 Classics but what else should I be thinking about???

Thanks!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Best used open back Planars for around $500
Reply #1 - 03/14/20 at 19:28:38

Think about the ZMF Ori as well; I bought a used pair in your price range with black limba ear shells and they share a similar sound to the Audeze LCD-2 that I had before. . . the biggest differences being the soundstage is a bit more compact and the bass is not quite as thick and rich. They're not entirely open backed but not entirely closed back.

I also really like my Oppo PM-1 though they will be hard to find your price range I wager. Easy to drive, rich sound, similar soundstage to the Oris. Very well-built cans.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 03/14/20 at 19:31:20

Also. . . have you experimented with cabling for the headphones you do have? I find cable differences can influence the sound enough that they may be improved in ways you prefer.

And one final point: My ZROCK2(s) allow me to thoroughly enjoy each of my headphones (I also have Sennheiser HD800S). I can tailor the tonal balance and really just sink into the sound.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
designtaylor
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 03/14/20 at 21:10:54

Hey Lon, thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I've tried a few cables finally settling on Periapt (I ended up replacing all my stock cables with them).

Really looking for a killer large-format planar in my budget.

Here are a few other suggestions I've gotten:
  • Audeze LCD-2
  • HiFiMAN Ananda
  • Hifiman edition xx
  • SendyAudio Aiva

And I totally want to check out a ZROCK2. Maybe a used one will come up within my reach.

IP Logged
derrick2VM
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 03/17/20 at 08:03:45

SendyAudio Aiva is a nice choice, I think.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print