Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 12:50:10 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool (Read 6992 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
02/27/20 at 17:07:11

If any of you Jazz fans are also Miles Davis fans, I watched American Masters: Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool last night on PBS.  I don't know if/when they will re-air it but worth a watch for sure.  .

I particularly liked the songs they chose for the soundtrack.

Kind of Blue was my first Jazz album purchase and I enjoy it to this day and now own it in various formats.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Re: Miles Davis - Birth of the Cool
Reply #1 - 02/27/20 at 18:52:28

Me too, Pal! It was a bit of a revelation for me as I knew nothing about him personally or about his life, personal and musical. Well done and informative and, yes, the sound track was good!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #2 - 02/27/20 at 20:00:46

It's on my DVR, waiting for the right time to watch it. I've been a Miles Davis fan since about '72 and have seen almost everything else on tape there is to see so don't expect it to be too revelatory to me. My best friend, also a Miles fan that long, says it's great if not too "new" so I'm looking forward to it.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/27/20 at 21:00:14

I recorded it as well.  I want to watch it again to build a Miles Tidal playlist using Shazam to source the tracks.

I really hadn't watched any other film on him so I was interested.  I'd heard bits and pieces about his life, but this film kind of brought it all together.  Like I remember him dropping off the radar for a while.  Now I know why.

Also, if you look at the careers he helped launch...its a decent who's who in the jazz community.  I really had no idea the list was that long.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 02/27/20 at 21:12:26

Yes, he was a big influence on the genre and a great band leader. He got his start thanks to Charlie Parker, and he seemed to have not forgotten that musicians needed to work together and that start he got from Parker that really did launch his career. He managed to tread carefully around discovering, developing and in some ways exploiting talent. Many benefited.

And to paraphrase a Charles Mingus composition title, "If Miles Davis were a Gunslinger There'd Be a Whole Lot of Dead Copycats."

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #5 - 02/27/20 at 23:08:32

I watched it. I’m an avid PBS watcher (not much else I like to watch on TV anymore). I thought it was very well done. Several things that I didn’t know about him. For instance, I did not know that it is his wife on the cover of the Someday My Prince Will Come album.  And when he was asked to play on the soundtrack to the French film. His parts were played after the film was made. He watched scenes and played what he felt as he watched. Unbelievable to watch him do that and hauntingly beautiful.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 02/28/20 at 01:50:13

Right . . .the beautiful dancer Francis Taylor Davis was also on the cover of "E.S.P." and both "Friday Night at the Blackhawk" and of course "Saturday Night at the Blackhawk." Other wives on his covers are Cecily Tyson (before she was his wife) and Betty Mabry Davis.

I love that soundtrack. . . really have never been into the movie itself, though I have friends who really dig it.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 03/15/20 at 20:11:50

I finally watched this. I really didn't learn much about Miles I hadn't known from listening to him and reading about him since the early 'seventies, but I certainly saw some interesting footage I had not seen before. What a well done documentary, balancing well biographic and musical content.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 03/16/20 at 02:01:46

It is on Netflix. Very nice presentation with Davis narrating much of it. Hi choice of women was awesome.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #9 - 03/16/20 at 03:36:51

It's Carl Lumley narrating,  reading Davis' and Quincy Troupe's text from the Davis autobiography though. But I am sure you knew that. Just wanted to be clear.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 03/16/20 at 14:11:40

Truthfully, I was fooled by the narration. I didn't read the credits at all; so I thought that the narration was Davis from some taped interview.

MINI TORII & ZROCK2 both anniversaried; 'Lil Audio F-15; TECHNICS SL1200MK2 KAB MODDED TT; ONKYO 6 DISC CD; MARANTZ 2226B; SCHIIT MULTIBIT DAC; SENNHEISER HD-580s
55   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #11 - 03/16/20 at 18:22:14

Carl thanks you for the compliment!

;)

IP Logged
bokat57
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/16/20 at 19:43:49

I also thought it was a well done documentary.
I would recommend the book titled "Miles Davis The Autobiography" from 1989. It really covers the life of Miles Davis in great detail.
Since I watched it about 4 days ago I have been on a Miles music marathon. Great Stuff !
Thanks
Bob

IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 03/24/20 at 04:00:27

I caught Elevator To the Gallows a few nights ago. It was on TCM. Quite an amazing score he and his impromptu quartet made for that film.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #14 - 03/24/20 at 04:19:21

I've never been a fan of the film but I do like that soundtrack. Over time I keep being amazed at how awesome Barney Wilen played--he was only 18. I'm a big fan of his work, he was independently wealthy and didn't work as often as others, but he had a beautiful sound on all the saxophones he played.

And Kenny Clarke! Kenny was an inspiration for me as a drummer, his work in the 'fifties especially impresses me and I learned a lot studying his work, especially the many sessions he did for the Savoy label where he was almost the house drummer.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print