Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 20:10:39 

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Steve's TINY RADIAL project! (Read 69634 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: Steve's TINY RADIAL project!
Reply #150 - 05/21/20 at 05:22:07

WWW   IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #151 - 05/21/20 at 22:53:17

...can’t open this one Steve...says item cant be found

Greg

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #152 - 05/22/20 at 03:22:07

Fixed it.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #153 - 05/22/20 at 03:26:47

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #154 - 05/22/20 at 15:52:59

These are the cutest and most interesting little speakers, beautiful job on them Mr. Deckert, I'm so happy I finally ran across this thread. There are other products I wanted from you also, I might as well add these to the list. Bravo sir.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #155 - 05/22/20 at 19:02:41

WWW   IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #156 - 05/23/20 at 01:21:31

Working on building these. One question, how do you attach the top lens?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #157 - 05/23/20 at 02:57:06

The top piece uses four 1/8" spacers that are glued in place. I use rubber-reinforced super glue for that. The spacers can be anything you want really, but I choose nylon stand-offs because they were handy.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
joralieu
Verified Member

Reply #158 - 05/23/20 at 16:16:45

So it is glued permanently, no screws? How do you disassemble if needed?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #159 - 05/24/20 at 02:42:38

Access is generally done through the bottom.  The only reason you would need access from the top is if the driver was blown.  In that case you can just pry the lens off and re-glue it onto the replacement driver.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #160 - 05/25/20 at 04:21:15

I have been able to get the backbone of the Tiny Radial Project finished tonight finally after many weeks of contemplation on how to do it.  This is going to be something new for Decware, a new way of doing things and that of course makes it complicated on the back end but as usual I have pulled thought it and even have the web page done, albeit with only four products on it at present.

This process is different in that with these speakers we're not going to be taking orders -- building them over several weeks or months and then shipping them to you.  Instead, we will be posting finished speakers that are ready to ship on the page as we get time to build them.

Additionally, all the speakers that are built will remain on the page indefinitely.  This will let people see what is possible, and what has been done. I actually wish I had done this with all our speakers over the past 20 years...

Finally, a form called the Tiny Radial Wish List will be present so people can write in what they wish was on the page... this list will be referred to for ideas on new Tiny Radials to make, and those on the list will be emailed if any of their ideas are made and listed on the page.

This thread is listed on the page as well, since Tiny Radials are also being sold as D.I.Y. plans this thread will be ongoing indefinitely.

Finally, you will see some D.I.Y. Tiny Radial Kits for those who don't have the tools or the time to make the parts from scratch!

Here is a link to the Tiny Radial Page.  Remember there can be up to a week before the page is updated and there is only an inventory of 1 for each speaker.  You are purchasing the actual speakers shown on the page.  

Don't worry we will be adding more all the time so just keep checking back.  Those that have been sold will be updated within a few days with a SOLD sign so you don't keep clicking on it.

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TinyRadialProject.html

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #161 - 05/25/20 at 15:04:46

These things ought to sell like hotcakes! The finished ones and the kits.

Well done, Steve!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #162 - 05/27/20 at 06:09:57

Great project, Steve! Loved watching the evolution. I filled out my wish list - PurpleHeart!

Randy

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #163 - 05/28/20 at 12:07:12

Trying to get my hands on that pair of African Paduke, they would match my  headphone stands so nicely! Hopefully my order went through. These really seem incredible Steve, very much looking forward to hearing them.

Innuos Zenith MKIII > Lampizator Baltic3 > Vinnie Rossi L2iSE > SE341.5 or SE84UFO25, >> Heresy, K-horn, Philharmonic BMR, Ωmega Super 6XRS Alnico, LSIM703, Falcon LS3/5A, Steve's TR’s, Tube-Tots.
  IP Logged
hells

Reply #164 - 05/28/20 at 21:40:22

I snagged the Zebrawood ones, excited!

EDIT: Steve, as I'm a bit of an idiot, which of those jacks is the negative (black) ones? The left of the speaker? They're both red which throws me lol

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #165 - 05/29/20 at 03:31:09

Donnie,
Those look bad ass!  I absolutely adore the dispersion pieces sitting above the drivers.  It reminds me of the great Hegeman Model-1a's I own designed by the late, great Stu Hegeman.  

The aluminum pieces look great and are always welcome as a solid, quality material in audio.  

Such a cool experimental project you and your young designer colleagues embarked on.  

Question is, how do they sound?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #166 - 05/29/20 at 03:37:34

The left jack is positive on those.  Congrats, and we'll expect a full report : )

Remember, none of these are burned-in so they have almost zero time on them.  

Burn them in with 1 watt on some bass heavy music. That's what I was doing during the original smart phone video I posted. This is why no one was familiar with the music in that original video. I didn't make that video for the purpose of a demo, I was just burning in the speakers and was rather shocked at the sound I was hearing from a pair of 1.5 inch drivers to I captured it with the phone.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #167 - 05/29/20 at 03:48:52

Nick, your order did go through.  In fact the page has been cleaned out except for the Red Oak Kit.  No worries, there will be more soon.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
hells

Reply #168 - 05/29/20 at 04:26:24

Steve,

Absolutely! Can you carve that into the wood or something? 😂 I would pay extra for that lol

Omega CAM's | Rythmik F12SE | Schiit Gungnir MB | Torii Jr/25th Anniv | SE84UFO | Thorens TD160BC MkII | Tisbury Mini Passive Preamp II | Hegel H190
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #169 - 05/29/20 at 05:28:02

I have ordered up more wood including what was submitted on the wish list, so more fun hours in the wood shop to look forward to. (Nothing relaxes me more than sanding a tiny radial as I watch the horse outside in the field through the 4 x 8 picture window in my shop and hearing my grandchildren play in the back yard.)

I just finished a pair of Birdseye maple enclosures that are noteworthy. I'll put a couple more together this weekend.

Because Tiny Radials are relatively small, they actually qualify for what I call super exotics... wood that is too small and too expensive to make even amplifier bases from let alone full-size speakers. So I am going to explore some of this as well.  Why not right?  

If you love hardwood, there is nothing quite like holding it in your hand, especially when it fits your hand.  This is an experience you don't get with full-size speakers that makes Tiny Radials fun.  It also is why I like a hand-oiled finish because nothing else feels like it.

Steve

P.S.  (Nothing relaxes me more than sanding a tiny radial as I watch the horse outside in the field through the 4 x 8 picture window in my shop and hearing my grandchildren play in the back yard.) -- I have all of you to thank for that as well as the beautiful people who work here and my wife... it's really all I've ever wanted and each of you are what has made it possible.

Thank-you.

WWW   IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #170 - 05/29/20 at 15:36:25

I feel very fortunate to have successfully ordered a pair of Tiny Radials, delivery is next week. I would love to hear recommendations for an amp to power them. I cannot afford a Decware amp at the moment as I have a wedding to pay for.
The Radials will be for a small office and a limited budget.....lets say under $500

All my best to you Steve, you have created a lifestyle that we all seek and but a few have obtained

Warm regards,
Andy

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #171 - 05/29/20 at 16:54:29

Congrats on grabbing the speakers. I know you said you can't afford a decware amp and keep under $500 but I can't think of a better amp than the se84ufo as a budget amp for these speakers. There is a 10% coupon until june 1st which would bring the amp to around $900. That's only $400 over your budget. Just reduce the food/alchohol budget for the wedding  ;D

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #172 - 05/30/20 at 14:00:39

I was just thinking about building a pair out of of Koa wood.
Eek, one board large enough to build a pair was around $600.

My tastes exceed my income!

So I'm back to thinking about particle board and $1.00 spray bomb from the Dollar store.

Or thinking out of the box, perhaps reclaimed pallet wood might just work!
I sure hope that there aren't any of those nasty bugs that eat everything burrowed up in the boards.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Greg C

Reply #173 - 05/30/20 at 22:56:56

...hey Donnie do you think you will paint them red  :)

TORII JR
CSP3
ZP3
ZROCK
ZBIT
NAD C658 DAC
PIONEER RT-707
REGA PLANAR 6 / EXACT 2 MM
ERRx
SENNHEISER HD 800S
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #174 - 05/31/20 at 02:37:11

It is interesting that everyone thinks that I only work in red!
I spent all day today painting a pair of speakers in gray.

I am expanding my horizons. There is a whole color wheel of possibilities out there for me.

IP Logged
hells

Reply #175 - 05/31/20 at 02:46:23

Like...dark red? Bright red? Endless possibilities!

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #176 - 05/31/20 at 02:48:11

gray is not a color.  From Red you can go either orange or purple.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #177 - 05/31/20 at 04:51:49

For all of you who will be getting your Tiny Radials in the mail soon, I have installed some nice clear rubber feet on each pair. You can see those feet in all the prior videos.

Sadly I have come to realize I don't like them all that much because they set the plinth too high from the surface it sets on.  I found some much smaller rubber feet that I have been trying tonight and I like them much better.   They are softer, greatly reduce the air gap between the plinth and the surface and I am pretty certain it sounds a lot better.  I spent the last 2 hours listening to a new pair breaking in with the clear larger rubber feet and kept thinking boy... these are going to have to break in a bit before I can really enjoy them.  And, yes, after 2 hours or so they started to get pretty good.  

Here's the interesting part.  I took another pair,  this maple pair, with the new feet and swapped them in place of the other ones that had been burning in for over two hours.  This pair had never been played.  This pair sounded better.  So the moral of the story is that I was waiting for the feet to break in, and they were the wrong feet.

Anyone who gets theirs and wants these softer mico-sized rubber feet can rest easy, I will be having Sarah mail out a set of 8 feet by US Mail in the coming week for you.

Amazing the things that make a difference...

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #178 - 05/31/20 at 04:56:08

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #179 - 05/31/20 at 05:43:23

In retrospect, who would have thought something like feet would make such a difference... but then duhhha... how a speaker is coupled to the floor or in this case surface has a large effect on it's sound.

So in the video of the maple pair, I am listening to a 2 watt Zen Triode Amplifier directly driven from a Cambridge DAC/Streamer connected with DSR interconnects and ZSTYX speaker wire that is only one meter long.  Reference grade components and wire.  What I am hearing is more than respectable, it's impressive.

I'll have to toss a small solid state amp at it, and see what happens.  I can't imagine it's going to sound anything like what I'm hearing now, but I'm curious so unless someone beats me to it, that will have to be another test.  :)

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #180 - 05/31/20 at 05:50:39

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #181 - 06/01/20 at 02:39:10

So it finally happened...

Tonight I'm listening to the Tiny Radials set up like they were in the video.  Chris Jones comes on, Roadhouse.  It sounded so good!  Then I began to panic... crap, I think I have the amp turned on in the listening room and both systems are playing at the same time.  I listened carefully and couldn't tell.  I actually had to get up and walk into the listening room to see if the amp was on.  

It was not.

So a pair of these setting 1 foot apart, 5 feet off my right shoulder at ear height sounds just like the speakers in the listening room, sound coming through the door just off my right elbow.  Same depth.  Same space.  Same warmth.  I remember this happening before, being fooled several times into thinking I was listening to the main speakers through the doorway.

This is a pleasant contrast to the other night when I hooked up a pair out of phase without knowing it and wondered what the hell I was thinking!  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #182 - 06/02/20 at 23:57:47

I'm starting to like butternut wood.
It looks pretty cool.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #183 - 06/03/20 at 03:44:59

I'm sorry but it's such a set up I have to say I'm surprised you don't go with redwood ; )

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #184 - 06/03/20 at 04:41:00

Grin Grin Grin

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #185 - 06/05/20 at 05:56:39

Here is the owner's manual for the Tiny Radials...

https://www.decware.com/newsite/TinyRadialManual.pdf

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
JKC
Verified Member

Reply #186 - 06/06/20 at 05:11:19

I’ve ordered a pair in Birdseye Maple. The demos sound great with headphones and I think they will be nice to have set up in the house for my wife as she is too afraid to turn on all my main equipment when I’m not around! I’ll try them with my main 300B monoblocks to get an idea of their capabilities, but will ultimately need to find a compact and easy to operate solution for the wife.

These and the ZLC I have on order will be my first pieces of Decware equipment, but I’ve been curious about many of the other products for a while.

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #187 - 06/06/20 at 21:06:48

Welcome to the Decware family and the forums!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #188 - 06/07/20 at 00:42:43

Thank you Steve, these are a great "fun" speaker to have around and they allowed me to hear what radials can sound like in a miniaturized scale. They match my headphone stands beautifully and sound lovely in my office. You made my weekend, good health and happy listening to all!
Nick

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #189 - 06/07/20 at 03:06:13

Thanks Nick -- I'd love to see a picture of them in their new home!

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #190 - 06/07/20 at 03:23:21

It’s embarrassing to admit, i spent  short while trying to upload pictureS and failed miserably...

IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #191 - 06/07/20 at 04:54:38

Hey Steve, why does one speaker have a tiny little screw/post sticking out of it while the other does not?
Sorry, I keep trying to upload photos but the files are always too big and i can't figure out how to shrink them...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #192 - 06/07/20 at 05:46:38

upload images

Then click UPLOAD

Then select BBC code full linked.

Copy it into your post.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #193 - 06/07/20 at 05:49:15

Quote:
Hey Steve, why does one speaker have a tiny little screw/post sticking out of it while the other does not?

Whaaat???

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #194 - 06/07/20 at 06:05:20

Your reaction got me out of bed to go and figure out exactly what that little screw/post was. Well, humorously enough it was the 4th screw from the top corner of the speaker. It was being held straight up in the cone because of the magnet it seems and looked just like a tiny little post. I pulled it up and out before any harm could come to the tiny little speaker. I will take some fresh pictures and follow instructions to post tomorrow. The screw must have come loose during shipping and wound up in the cone. I had no idea what kind of weird little speaker this was this why I asked about it. LOL I feel silly, I should have realized something was not right the moment I saw it.  No harm no foul...

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #195 - 06/07/20 at 06:51:29

Wow, with all the effort  to use long 4-40 machine screws in tapped holes to make sure it can't vibrate out while it is playing music...  what the hell are they doing at UPS anyway?!?!?   Playing racketball I suppose.  Good, another refinement then.  We will add thredlock to the threads.  The red stuff (not blue) so it remains removable.

That's such a trip.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Nick324

Reply #196 - 06/07/20 at 11:41:10

The speakers look and Sound great, this site is just a bit difficult to use on mobile devices, I’ll eventually get the hang of it...Here they are next to some custom headphone stands of Padauk wood.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #197 - 06/07/20 at 13:59:22

Like magic!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #198 - 06/07/20 at 16:25:18

Steve, Hopefully,  I am not being presumptive but, in model making endeavors, especially where balsa is being used, threaded holes in wood are much more stable if hardened with thin CA glue. This MAY require running the tap through again. Just a thought.

Joe

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #199 - 06/08/20 at 02:01:01

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print