Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 11:24:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Confusion about ZMC and SUTs (Read 3166 times)
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Confusion about ZMC and SUTs
02/09/20 at 02:14:26

I’m new to SUTs. I’m still undecided on what cartridge I want to end up using. (Cart specs at bottom) issue is they are a little different in the resistance specs.

The ZMC sales page lists 3 different versions. For the Soundsmith the ZMC1 looks like the ticket. The Benz is 38 ohm DCR. This is higher than the recommended cartridge ohms. Would the ZMC1 work well for both cartridges?

I’m guessing the 20:1 ratio would be the one I would want?

What would the loading range be for the 2 cartridges be?

Will the ZMC1 work well with both?

My understanding is that the cartridge DCR is part of the loading equation when using SUTs.

Benz Ruby 3
.34mv output
38 Ohm
recommended loading 500-47k ohm

SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC (Star)
.4mv output
10 Ohm
recommended loading 470+ ohm

I didn’t find a manual for the ZMCs

Thank you much!

Extra info that isn’t directly related to the question.

I’ve owned the Benz Ruby 3 for many years and am happy with it. I’m guessing it’s time for a retip / rebuild. Issue is it’s in storage in Denver CO. I’m currently in the Philippines. When I do go back to visit the USA I will be in the Philly area. So between the travel cost and the cost to retip I might be better off getting a new cartridge. That’s not even taking into account the time cost.

I’ve heard good things about the Zephyr. It seems like it would be a good cart to hold onto. I also like the SoundSmith rebuild price.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Re: Confusion about ZMC and SUTs
Reply #1 - 02/11/20 at 03:33:51

Any reason why you aren’t considering high output cartridges (2.1mV)?  I have the SoundSmith Voice and I go directly from my turntable to my ZP3. I wanted to avoid a phono pre-amp and another set of cables and connections. I am delighted.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/20 at 05:03:16

Steve recommends 4mv+ into the ZP3.

With the ZTPRE I’m guessing you have so much gain the below 4mv input isnt an issue
Do you ever run out of volume with 2.1mv?

I agree it would be nice having less cables and boxes.  0.4mv with ZMC1 would be 8.0mv into the ZP3. That sounds like it would make everything happy.

I’m going to be running ZP3 -> ZRock2 -> Toriimkiv. So I won’t have as much gain as you.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | Add-Powr Sorcer x4 | Snake River Audio Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15|AF Treatment
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/11/20 at 12:57:21

I had a ZSTAGE in the mix for a while but found I did not need it. I have plenty of volume and headroom.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/19/20 at 02:29:35

I've been going back and forth if I should go the low output or high output MI from SoundSmith. When I get back to the states in March, I'll give Steve a call and report back about his recommendations.

IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 04/21/20 at 12:58:11

follow up. I ended up going with the SoundSmith Zephyr so I never called Steve to ask.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print