Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 15:28:28 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What are the 25th Anniversary mods? (Read 6069 times)
dden
Verified Member

What are the 25th Anniversary mods?
02/07/20 at 21:03:50

What are the 25th Anniversary mods on a ZP3 and what is the cost?

Any impressions before/after?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: What are the 25th Anniversary mods?
Reply #1 - 02/07/20 at 21:13:18

Not having heard the ZP3 with mods I can't help, but I can help with the options and costs (which comes from the shopping basket when you add the ZP3):

Poly bypass cap mod - adds $140
Beeswax bypass cap mod - adds $420

The mods are to the power supply, bypassing the cap with either the standard or beeswax caps, whichever you have chosen as the option for the power supply.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
dden
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/20 at 06:38:22

Thanks Lon

IP Logged
instinct2
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 11/12/20 at 02:53:41

I’m still confused looking at the zp3 selections for 25th mods.  What would be equal to SE84UFO25?

Capacitors:      
Standard Audiophile Caps
Beeswax Caps $170
Input Jacks:      
Gold RCA jacks
Silver RCA jacks $100 (don’t see this as an option on SE84UFO25)
Mods:      
standard configuration
Poly bypass cap mod - adds $140
Beeswax bypass cap mod - adds $420

Thanks for the help!

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Turntable (Looking at Rega P6/P8 w/Hana ML)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
DAC/Streamer - Wiim Pro Plus
Conditioner - Audioquest Niagara 1200
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #4 - 11/12/20 at 08:21:23

Depending on your capacitor choices, either the Poly bypass mod or the Beeswax bypass mod would be the Anniversary mod option.

If you go with the standard capacitor choice, you would select the Poly bypass mod. If you decide to go with the Beeswax capacitor choice, you would select the Beeswax bypass mod.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
instinct2
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/12/20 at 13:21:31

How much difference will you see between the cheaper and more expensive mod routes?  Also if I have Decware silver interconnects with xhadow connects, should you get the silver input option? But the se84ufo25 only comes in gold? So maybe I shouldn’t pay for that upgrade?

SE84UFO2.1 25th lvl2
ZRock2 25th lvl2
ZP3 25th lvl2 (ordered)
CPS3 25th lvl3 (ordered)
Turntable (Looking at Rega P6/P8 w/Hana ML)
Speakers - DM947
Cables - DSR3S’s
DAC/Streamer - Wiim Pro Plus
Conditioner - Audioquest Niagara 1200
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #6 - 11/12/20 at 14:12:09

Well, there is a sizable monetary difference between choosing the standard caps and the Beeswax, and also adding the Beeswax caps power bypass mod. That's a fair question.

Hopefully you'll get a few answers from others here. I did not have a ZP3 with the mods, just a stock one. I have the Jupiter Type 2 caps and the beeswax power supply mods in all but two of the Decware components I have, and only in one did I have the stock configuration beforehand. I honestly think the differences boil down to: how much of an audiophile ARE you? The stock caps are very musical, and slightly forgiving. Your music will groove and soothe and you will think less about microdetail and the quality of the recordings than you will with the Beeswax caps. These just seem to give you one step closer to the ultimate sound of the recordings--a bit more detail, a bit more small dynamic differences, less shadow in the corners of the presentation. They'll also just a bit more show you the limitations of the recordings especially in frequency balance in my experience, and allow you to identify a bit more clearly any changes you make in cabling, power, isolation (etc.?) At times when I get obsessed about sound and equipment I wish I were less so. . . I know I could love my system with the standard caps and be perhaps less "analytical." For me I become more "analytical" in my listening more often and thoroughly when listening to digital than analog, though that is probably strongly influenced by my components.

Regarding the RCA connectors: I have mostly the silver options but also the gold. . . and my interconnect terminations are Rhodium plated. Wink Hard for me to say that there is a sonic difference, I haven't really identified one clearly--though I confess that the longer shank on the silver and the tight fit are confidence-inspiring.

IP Logged
Adam Fann
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 11/17/20 at 12:49:52

Good morning all,  

I am getting ready to send my ZP3 in for the 25th mods(as well as transfer of warranty) but have a quick question. I bought mine from a forum member back in April and was informed that it was ordered in stock form. Would I see a considerable difference in the beeswax bypass over the poly bypass having poly caps?

Thanks in advance
Adam

ZP3 w/25th mod, Torii Jr, Heavily Modified Project/One DR-890, Alnico Betsy Open Baffles, Klipsch R-110SW
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/17/20 at 14:52:51

You should get the same bypass caps you have in the ZP3. If poly caps - poly bypass caps. If beeswax caps - beeswax bypass caps.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Adam Fann
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 11/17/20 at 17:56:54

Kinda what I thought but wanted another opinion. Thanks HK for the help

Adam

ZP3 w/25th mod, Torii Jr, Heavily Modified Project/One DR-890, Alnico Betsy Open Baffles, Klipsch R-110SW
  IP Logged
NormD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/17/20 at 18:54:46

I got the 25th anniversary mods on my ZP3, ZTPre, and ZMA. Now I do not have to wonder if I should have gotten them.  Love my sound and I can now just listen.

OPPO Sonica DAC
Technics SL-1200M3D Turntable
SoundSmith The Voice cartridge
JRMedia Center running on a MacMini
Panasonic DP-UB820
Marantz AV8802a Pre/Rotel RMB-1585 Surround
ZTPre & ZMA Stereo
Focal Sopra No. 2 speakers (91 db)
2 Hsu ULS-ULS-15 MK2 Subs
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print