03/29/24 at 16:41:36 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don Sachs Line stage (Read 1897 times)
SugarBear
Verified Member

Don Sachs Line stage
01/31/20 at 20:34:46

I’m sure some of you here use this, I’m curious as to which amps you use with it..... just hoping someone uses Decware amps with it so I can see how they like the combo

IP Logged
DanG
Verified Member

Re: Don Sachs Line stage
Reply #1 - 02/03/20 at 01:33:38

I use the Don Sachs PH16 Phono Stage with the SE84UFO, no line stage.

I know it's not what you asked, it's not the line stage. But I like this combo very much. My original amp was the VTA Dynaco ST-70, and, like the SE84UFO, it did not need a line stage. The Don Sachs PH16 Phono Stage has been great with both amps. You can read about it on his website, under the Custom Tube Gear tab: http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/CitationRestoration.html

Well Tempered Lab Amadeus MK2 Turntable, Stereo & Mono carts, ZP3, SE84UFO, Lii Song Origin S-10, Audio Note CD1.1x
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Re: Don Sachs Line stage
Reply #2 - 02/04/20 at 06:46:06

Hi SugarBear,
I cannot comment on Don's modified version of the VTA SP14, but I have built my own SP14 so I can give my account on that line stage.  I think it is a fine pre-amp.  It may be, by some accounts very fine, but it doesn't "do it for me" like the CSP3 (25th anniversary) does.  I think Don does a high quality cap on the power supply and goes with some pretty high quality caps on the output side of things, very nice touches.  But all in all, my SP14 has been asleep ever since my CSP3 got it's 25th mods.  I am biased though, I prefer Decware in almost every sense.  There is just something about the sound Steve is able to get.  btw....  I have also built the PH16.....  and I like the Decware ZP2 much better as well.   Wink

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print