Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 07:41:59 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
how to stream-on a budget (Read 9069 times)
Wavendon
Verified Member

how to stream-on a budget
01/31/20 at 19:35:25

Ladies and Gents,
I am very new to all of this streaming stuff and am terribly confused (likely due to my age). I recently received a catalogue from Music Direct and my head blew up looking at all of the equipment :o

I would like some suggestions on what to buy so that I can listen to streaming music. I use Pandora and Spotify on my iPhone with headphones but how do I get them to play through my home amp and speakers and not spend a lot of money?

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Re: how to stream-on a budget
Reply #1 - 01/31/20 at 19:53:25

I’m far from an expert on this but I think I’d use an Audioquest Dragonfly for a dac and run the iPhone to it and then from the Dragonfly to the amp inputs. You can cheaply buy the necessary hookup cables and you should be in business.

IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/20 at 21:10:03

apparently my amp has a built in DAC, and I have empty coax & optical inputs on amp, how do I get music from iPhone to the amp?

(I feel like my first day at school)

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/31/20 at 22:55:48

Does your iPhone have a headphone output jack? Or is like my IPhoneX without one. If it’s without then you need a connection that plugs into the Lightning port (called a dongle)this dongle allows a mini plug like on headphones to plug in. Then you can buy cables that have RCA connections for the amp RCA inputs and will plug into the dongle. I don’t know about this cord being available for optical input. I’ve only used RCA. The basic cable with mini plug (like iPhones use for headphones) and RCA’s on the other end is readily available on the auction site as well as the dongle. Search the auction site and you’ll start figuring it out. Might even be cable to go to optical. Seems I looked once and didn’t turn one up.

IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/20 at 23:38:09

Think that will sound better than Bluetooth connection?

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 02/01/20 at 00:28:20

@wavendon - what type of amp do you have? If it has an integrated DAC, you can hook your laptop/PC to it and then open Spotify/Pandora apps on you computer and stream from there. There are a couple settings in your computer's operating system that need to be tweaked to get it to output to your DAC, but it's pretty straight forward.

If you're starting from scratch here is what you need:
1. Streaming Subscription (Spotify, Pandora or if you want hi-res Qobuz or Tidal).
2. Streaming Device (PC/Laptop/Smartphone/Tablet, etc.) most of the items mentioned already have a built in DAC, but they are generally cheap and not the greatest quality, so you will not get the best results using them.
3. DAC (can be included in your preamp/integrated amp, or you can get a better external one).
4. Depending on your DAC inputs and your streaming devices outputs ~ you may need a converter of some sort so you can hook them up to each other.

If you buy a new external DAC I would make sure it has USB inputs as this is the most common and one of the most easiest ways people are streaming. USB can also provide the highest resolution in streaming.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 02/01/20 at 08:35:14

Wavendon:
If you are looking to go from a steaming service on your smartphone, to your amp, you have some options.  Like a form member stated you can buy an Audioquest Dragonfly ( Black. Red, or the new Cobalt). With the Dragonfly....You will also need to buy (if you have an iPhone), the camera adapter kit as well as a 3.5 to RCA Converter cable.  Depending on your budget, you can buy the Black, but honestly I would at least swing for the Red.

But...
If your amp has an available optical input, then you are in luck.  

Go out and buy a Google Chromecast audio.  It already has a decent DAC built in, and the audio output has a combo mini Toslink/3.5 mm jack.  The Google device was just recently discontinued, but you can grab them on eBay for like $100 bucks new and get them now....or you can get them from a China distributor on eBay and pay $15 - $50 bucks.  (You just have to wait for it 2 months).   [ I just bought 2 more as a backup].

Anyway...just buy a miniToslink to optical cable, plug it into your amp, and you are off to the races.  

To save some money, buy a regular optical cable, and buy the  Audioquest mini Toslink adapter.  

This configuration is nice...because you are not tethered like you would be with the Audioquest Dragonfly setup.  Plus....it’s WiFi based..and sounds way better than Bluetooth.  Download the Google home app, and enable the High Fidelity setting with the app.

Only limitation...the Google device cuts out at 24/96 Hi Res files.  If you streaming Spotify at mp3 quality (not desirable) or Flac up to 16 bit, you are golden.

I run a Chromecast audio on e bedroom device, and it serves it’s purpose on the cheap.  Best part ...buy a few...add them to each room to like a Bluetooth speaker ( as long as it has a 3.5 mm input), create a speaker group in the Google Home app, and now you have a whole home audio setup that you can sync together, since it’s WiFi based.  

Here are 2 links that will help...

https://youtu.be/4m8v7xjWu60

https://youtu.be/qX2LbNfMAS4

Hope this helps

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
ScottNC
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 02/01/20 at 15:43:16

I use a Chromecast into my MyTek Brooklyn to line in for when I want to use Pandora instead of Roon running Tidal and Qobuz, it sounds extremely good for what it is and I also have one I float around to my outside deck or other room when I need remotes. It’s good advice and not being tethered to the unit is nice.
Best,
Scott

TORII MKIV-25th,ZBIT,ZROCK2-25th,ZTPRE-25th,ZLC,DNA2's, REL S/3 SHO
MyTek Brooklyn DAC+,Sonore ultraRendu LinearPS,sonicTransport APi7 4TB
Woo WA6, Sennheiser HD660s
RoomTreatments,LineFeed,DHC1’s,DSR’s,ZENST,TriodeWireLabs,TimberNation Maple Plats
  IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/01/20 at 18:27:48

thank you for these wonderful suggestions

would the chromecast rig sound better than using audio streamed through my Apple TV cube which has optical out?

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #9 - 02/01/20 at 18:39:22

Quote:
and not spend a lot of money?

@wavendon, out of curiosity... what $$ amount is your budget?

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 02/01/20 at 20:54:37

$500, preferably less

IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #11 - 02/01/20 at 21:53:36

After researching a ton, my audio buddy purchased the Musical Paradise MP-D1 MK3 Tube DAC.  

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=9...

He read a lot of reviews about this unit prior to purchasing.  He could not be happier with it.  It uses the new Bluetooth 5.0 APTX-HD protocol which is not anything like prior BT technology.  It sounds damn good and at $499, a true bargain.  Nothing else is needed as you can stream to this device via your phone or tablet via the Bluetooth.  This DAC would then connect to your preamp or directly to your amp, depending on how your system is configured.  

Quality parts throughout, not just a bunch of generic (i.e. cheap) caps and resistors .  Definitely not a high-margin product at $499.

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/02/20 at 00:52:38

I’m guessing the Apple tv cube has spotify pandora and other audio apps available on it.  I’m also guessing once you get things setup you can control the apple tv apps with your iphone. This will allow you to control your music without turning on your TV.

My suggestion is to head over to amazon and get a amazon basics toslink cable.  They are less than $10 depending on length.

You can hook it up and you should be good to go.  That gets you started.  If you are happy with that great!

If you are looking for a little something else then you can start looking at spending some more $$ and researching other options. There are some good ones above.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
funch
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/02/20 at 01:30:55

Marv, the founder of SBAF, just posted this. It might help.

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?threads/dummies-guide-to-pi2aes-...

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #14 - 02/02/20 at 02:49:58

Wavedon....Jeff brings up a good point with AptxHD....it is supposedly a big difference from the lower Bluetooth protocols.  I have never heard it, but it’s definitely a consideration.  

Question....what iPhone do you have?  If your phone does not support the AptxHD protocol, then buying the Tube Dac that Jeff recommends may not be of any advantage if you can’t transmit it with the AptxHD quality from your phone to the Dac.  Just a thought.  

I’m not sure of the specs of the Apple TV cube, but if it has an optical out, then I would try that first.  You may be happy and not want to go any further.  

I run my Chromecast Audio into my new Schiit Bifrost True Multibit Dac via optical, and I really like the sound.  I have also tried the Chromecast Audo device using the regular 3.5 mm out to the RCA inputs, and it’s pretty good as well, but going into my Schiit Dac is definitely better.  

I guess if you want to split hairs, try and find out the how high the Apple TV cube goes in terms of the resolution on audio files,  compare it to the Chromecast audio, the the Dragonfly.  Weigh out the cost difference and then make your decision after you spec out all of the scenarios.  

Dominick

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #15 - 02/02/20 at 11:00:26

I have iPhone 7s, do I need to upgrade ?

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #16 - 02/02/20 at 13:27:50

Your iPhone model does not support AptxHD, so seeking out this technology specifically for this purpose is not going to help you.

https://darko.audio/2017/12/how-to-enable-aptx-hd-bluetooth-audio-on-your-iphone...
-ipad/

When you are streaming content of WiFi/cellular you can use any model iPhone.  The quality of the sound is going to depend on several factors in the audio chain.   Most importantly...your source audio (mp3, CD quality, flac in Hi Res and all it’s variants) will be the biggest factor.  Let us the saying garbage in...garbage out (GIGO for short). . Next would be the quality of you dac.   In you case it’s either going to be the Apple TV cube, or then possibly some other variant discussed here....the Dragonfly, the Chromecast Audio, or any other stand alone DAC.  Then your amp, speakers, cables,  etc etc.  

One thing to remember...Hi Res is bees knees...but if your DAC can’t handle and convert to an analog, then that would be your limiting factor.  One nice thing about the Dragonfly....you automatically know the quality of the audio based on the color illuminated on the dragonfly icon.  

Here’s my take...if you decide not to  use your Apple TV and look for plan B...and don’t mind being a bit tethered....the Dragonfly does a great job and can even handle MQA audio.  If you want to be totally free and mobile, then look into a Chromecast setup or a variant.

Dom

IP Logged
Wavendon
Verified Member

Reply #17 - 02/02/20 at 21:02:31

Thank you all for your help

By the way, I intend to buy the Betsy speakers soon. I will power them using a Peachtree Decco, for now, until I can afford an amp from Steve. What streaming DAC should I put on my wish list?

IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/06/20 at 06:52:52

If you have already decided to pay for content, then maybe look into a subscription from Tidal.
It is my favorite and the stream is higher resolution than most others.

IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/06/20 at 15:08:25

+1 for the Chromecast Audio to toslink adapter.  I use Amazon HD music from my phone app and it sounds great.  I have a NOS DAC and only output 16/41.1 anyway but think it sounds much better than Spotify.

The RaspberryPI 4 and Volumio software would be a great way to stream Spotify to your DAC using USB for under $50.  The PI4 has a separate USB channel now and Volumio supports Spotify directly with a free plugin.  If you pay the Volumio monthly fee you can also stream Tidal.

If you don't have a DAC or want a cheap way to stream form a different location the PI4 and the ALLO Boss DAC board sound surprisingly good.
Volumio even has complete solutions for people that aren't comfortable with computer software. https://volumio.org/product/allo-boss-player/

I haven't tried this yet but
Blutooth USB adapter for PC
https://www.amazon.com/Avantree-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphones-Broadcast/dp/B0...

to a 5.0 Blutooth reciever with digital out
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MY3D59J/ref=psdc_10110414011_t1_B07JZH47B3

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print