03/28/24 at 21:58:50 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Betsy Augie (Read 13204 times)
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Betsy Augie
01/30/20 at 19:30:25

Made some Augie subs for my Betsy baffles I purchased from Randy. Randy was able to get me the same wood he used for his Betsy baffles that he made out of Bubinga. This is some beautiful wood and I really appreciate him for being able to do that for me. I have a wood shop close enough to me that has this wood but not in the width that Randy was able to get. So after having the wood sit there a few years I finally finished these. I really like that way they turned out. I tried to use as much of the wood as I could.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Re: Betsy Augie
Reply #1 - 01/30/20 at 19:32:44

Cutting them out.

Augie_1-15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/30/20 at 19:34:40

Frames glued up and a finish put on them.

Augie_2-15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 01/30/20 at 19:36:46

Subs assembled

Augie_3-15.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/30/20 at 19:38:38

Meet the family

Augie_5-15.jpg
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 01/30/20 at 21:07:41

I call that locked and loaded. Great work and I'm sure it sounds as good as all the equipment looks. Well thought out.

JD

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #6 - 01/30/20 at 21:35:29

Nice deuce. Great idea using the driver cutout as the base!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #7 - 01/31/20 at 01:04:47

Deuce, at first, I didn’t realize how thick the baffles are. Did you glue two pieces of 3/4” together?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Jeff of Arabica
Seasoned Member

Name the greatest of
all inventors...
Accident.

Reply #8 - 01/31/20 at 05:57:02

Legit!

Canary Audio Grand Reference Monos//ZMA//Zen Ultra//Taboo MKIII//Waversa DAC3//ModWright Oppo UDP-205// PS Audio P20//Canary Audio MC-10//Van den Hul Colibri "Stradivarius"//FFYX T1803 TT//SonoruS Reel-to-Reel & tube playback preamp//Tannoy Westminster Speakers
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 01/31/20 at 15:14:42

Thanks guys.

Geno, yes I glued up two pieces together. By the time I sanded everything I think they are slightly thicker than 1 1/2".

So for the last picture I just placed them together to get the shot. So yesterday I left them like that and played them to break in the subs. I just sat there through a few songs thinking to myself, wow.
I think you guys are correct, Randy is an alien or at least talks to them. These should not sound that good being that small or that close together. I had a wall of sound and the bass was just deep, perfect and blends in perfectly.
They will not stay like this, I will be putting them downstairs and giving them more room.

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/01/20 at 04:53:43

Wow, Deuce, that looks great! Being a Betsy (and Randy) fan, and having an unused pair of Augies, you've given me some inspiration. Keep us informed with your impressions as you reposition them and they break in.

Randy

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #11 - 02/01/20 at 05:15:01

Very impressive...  bet it sounds killer good!  Great job!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/03/20 at 15:35:40

Thanks Steve. They are sounding real good.

Bottlehead, if you have a pair of Augies you need to get them running. They give this nice deep bass and blend in so perfectly. I also like the fact they are movable to try different positions and orientations.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 02/03/20 at 22:58:57

Deuce,

I just have to say that really admire your talent. Yup guys, looks easy huh? It really can be if you get it right to begin with. This is my observation: Note that the cutout for this baffle is in one perfectly cut piece. I am supposing that it was done by using a custom router jig. Once the jig is made, you look like a pro, BUT you better get it right before you are cutting into expensive wood. Next, seemingly simple as well is the fact that two slabs of wood were glued/laminated together. Also looks simple. This isn't MDF folks. Fact is, no board is perfectly flat, and in cases where you are laminating two of them flat together will soon make a fool out of you if you use a bunch of clamps and make the wood bend to your will. My point is that it is better, just like what was done here, that you have your glue spread evenly, your boards planed flat, and EVEN pressure from one end/side to the other.
Yes, I have done the same in my woodworking past, but that is my point, it is likely not as easy or quick as it appears.

So, yes, this is impressive work not just by common sight, but also from those who have some insight into the whole process.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #14 - 02/03/20 at 23:11:21

Thems some fine lookin' terlet seats!

I probably won't be in your neighborhood anytime soon, but I do hope to be able to give them a listen sometime.

And pet some doggies.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 02/04/20 at 15:37:09

Thanks 4krow for the kind words but I have to admit I cheated.
A few years back I built a CNC machine so I could do things like this. It took about a year to get all the parts and put it all together. Its not a huge machine but big enough to do things like this. Wood working for me is a hobby and I really enjoy making stuff. The CNC makes it more accurate and easier but also harder at the same time because now you have to worry about speeds, the computer, programming and glitches. Cutting one of these panels the machine stopped right in the middle. Luckily I was able to restart everything and continue. On the old machine (cheap small desktop CNC) that one would stop and B line through the hole part destroying it. Never could figure out why.

Now I know exactly what you are saying about gluing wood together. I am always fighting warping. It does help having a good planer and or drum sander. But I also use weights to glue my boards. As long as you have a good flat table I use clamps on the outside but then use weigh lifting weights in the middle to get things to flatten out. It has worked pretty good for me this way.

LR,
Nice, I did not think about that but they do look like terlet seats, lol.
There you go, I should start making terlet seats out of exotic woods.
You know you are always welcome over anytime. So next time you are in the area stop on by.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #16 - 02/06/20 at 04:19:51

Sooo..... You call taking a year to get parts and build a CNC machine 'cheating' eh? Be my guest. I once built a mortising machine for a router that might sound simple, and yah, perfect mortises, but the amount of precision (when making it out of wood itself) and time was anything but cheating.
Anyway, the fact is you haven't done any short cuts here for the end product is a relief to wood workers like myself. I see 'home made' kits or attempts at speakers, audio furniture and the like and just keep my comments to myself. I mean shit, the guys is all happy and proud, so that's what it is all about. But every so often, I see work like yours and that is when I chime in.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
DirtDawg
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/07/20 at 00:17:34

I am impressed with your work. I think CNCs are the next wave of efficiency in woodworking. No troubles.

I think it is interesting how the notion of open box design has finally taken off after a few of us began to be fans about fifteen years ago.

Very nice work, indeed!

IP Logged
Bottlehead
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/08/20 at 04:40:25

Deuce,

Much as I would like to be working on a set of Augies to compliment my Betsys, I'm in Tucson, and they're in Seattle. Maybe later this year if I can get all my poop in one pile...

Randy

IP Logged
Alex
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/21/20 at 03:17:46

Great job.

IP Logged
Tripwr1964
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 03/24/20 at 15:14:42

big fan of the augie subs.  very very nice work!!!

CSP3 25yr, CAD 120s MKII, Sunfire Signature600, Sota Star Sapphire, SME309, Hana SL, JC3+, Schiit bifrost multibit, CXC, MG1.6QR w/ ext xo & mye stands, OB Augies. herbies iso, VH audio flavor diy pwr cords, Beden 8402 & Dueland IC's,
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/03/20 at 03:05:44

Trip,
I am a big fan of the Augie sub also. They just sound good and blend perfectly to the other speakers. Because I am working from home now I get to sit in front of these all day listening to music.
So made a slight addition to the setup with the wood I had left over. This was always in the plans, but now I had time to get them done. When I bought the original Betsy speakers from Randy I got the ones with the whizzer removed so I could use a tweeter with them.

IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 04/03/20 at 03:07:22

front and back

betsy2_35.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 04/03/20 at 03:09:20

The addition of the tweeter made the sound stage get a lot bigger in my room. This is the left side.

betsy3_35.jpg
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #24 - 04/03/20 at 04:20:36

Fine job, deuce! They look great, and I know they sound awesome. Love the way you did the bases and the driver connectors. The tweeters add a lot of visual character too.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Rich Evans
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 04/03/20 at 15:01:55

Wow.  Stunning.  Beautiful work to put those together.  Also, great thinking ahead on the panels to accomodate the ribbon.  You are causing me to have speaker envy.  I have bought all of the plans Steve has available for download already.  Seeing these is inspirational to get out into the garage.  I am going to be constrained by the lumber in the garage since I can't go get more (DANG IT!).

Trapped at home and not enough lumber to truly take advantage of being "grounded".

SE84b/c Obsolete Decware spkrs and some DIY DNA horns.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print