Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 05:01:34 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RAAL Requisite SR1a Headphone & SET Amps (Read 1378 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

RAAL Requisite SR1a Headphone & SET Amps
01/12/20 at 16:41:25

it's been a while since I've been on the forum, but thought I would drop in with a question for Steve and anyone else who might be familiar with the topic. The RAAL Requisite SR1a is a relatively new headphone that is an all-ribbon design. It sounds amazing. But it presents a, shall we say, difficult load to amplifiers of .2Ω.It is sold with an amplifier interface buffer that creates a 6Ω load for any amp of 100W or more. Users report it being driven successfully with as little as 60W. I am currently driving it with a Schiit Vidar that I have. I have also connected it to Merrill Veritas mono blocks with success, I repeat, it sounds amazing. It is the first headphone I have experienced that sounds as good as, maybe better than, my Stax SR-009/T2 combo.

Recently, on Head-Fi, European members have reported success driving the headphone directly with a VIVA Solista SET integrated amp of 22WPC, with no amp buffer. FWIW, Schiit is also working on a direct drive amplifier for the headphone code-named the Jotunheim R; its beta testers have reported excellent results. It is reportedly due for sale this month.

So, I am here because Decware has an enviable history of adapting its SET amps for specific headphone use with remarkably high value products. My Taboo mkIII was one of my favorite headphone amps, though I no longer own it. Any chance Decware could be a giant-killer again?

P.S. If you're a headphone fan, try to hear the SR1a at a meet. It is something special. Weird headgear, but once you get it fitted, it's very lightweight, and the music is just amazing. I am admittedly a sucker for ribbons, and have been ever since my near full-range Strathearn ribbon system in the 80s. Still, it is something else.

1: PS Audio DirectStream | BHK Preamp & Monoblocks | Legacy Audio Aeris
2: MSB Select II | Custom T2 & Mjolnir Carbon CC | Stax SR-009 & 007
3: Lumin A1 | HeadAmp GS-X mk2 |Meze Empyrean & HEDDphone
4. Schiit Vidar | RAAL Requisite SR1a
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: RAAL Requisite SR1a Headphone & SET Amps
Reply #1 - 01/12/20 at 17:32:12

Great to see a post from you again sir!

I just switched off your former Taboo Mk III that I purchased from you. I was listening to an Elaine Elias cd via ZMF Obi headphones.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print