Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 10:21:40 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone thought of using a Tesla Powerwall (Read 4913 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Anyone thought of using a Tesla Powerwall
12/02/19 at 22:11:48

Has anyone thought of using a Tesla Powerwall to power their stereo?
It would get rid of all of the garbage coming from the power line.
My mind wanders sometimes and thinks of stuff like this.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone thought of using a Tesla Powerwall
Reply #1 - 12/02/19 at 22:26:19

I'm waiting for a Mister Fusion.  I'm saving my banana peels.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/03/19 at 02:31:45

We lived off grid in the back mountains of NC for 27 years. After several years of no electricity, I put in a micro hydro system for power. With lots of vertical drop, we got more power from the pressure than the volume of water. It was really cool to see the little, maybe 1.5" high flow of water exiting a 6" pipe, and realize that was making our power. Not a lot, but about 500 watts continuous after losses adds up, and enough with careful AC motor size choices and use, wood heat, and gas refrigeration and water heat, the hot water supplemented by a water jacket in our wood cookstove firebox and power shunted from the power system batteries as they reached top voltage.

The tricky part of this sort of system was the conversion from battery storage DC to AC, requiring an inverter. And even "pure sine wave" inverters, to create a "sine wave" from DC, the complex process tends to also leave noise. I had a special "sine wave" inverter for audio, but still had some noise from the power system that showed up in the stereo...not a lot, but not perfect by any means. That was 12 years ago we left that system, and presumably the tech has improved.

However, when we looked into doing a grid-tied solar system here in NM, we got concerned that inverters, though they are well regulated voltage wise, still put out some EMF and RF, not just in the air, but in the AC lines. There may be workable solutions that are not cost prohibitive, and Tesla may have solved this. But having health problems at the time, finding little online, and pretty weak attention to these matters by the "professionals" we asked...perhaps supported by some levels of denial the dreamy goodness of solar implies, I lost steam looking into it.

For best health and serious audio though, I suspect this may be worth some research if you get serious about home energy making.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #3 - 12/04/19 at 17:37:34

Will nailed it. The battery is great, but it's the inversion electronics that's making a mess of things. You would need a PS Audio Powerplant type/quality of equipment to really reap the benefits from this. Starting with pure DC would probably make it easier for the Powerplant to produce the high quality, low noise, and especially low impedance power.

That said, to get the benefits your thinking of Donnie, you would need to supply the amp the DC it needs directly to it's circuits. So you'd have a battery pack for the tube heater voltage, a battery pack for the preamp tube, and a battery pack for the power amp tube. This is basically how the very first tube amp radios ran in the early days of radio. Deuce Kazoo picked up an old radio he was working on restoring and can probably chime in on this.

I've been kicking around the idea of taking a Zen Amp kit I bought off ProgRob and setting up LiPo battery sections for it instead of power transformers and rectifier/cap setups. I have a few SPIM08hp battery packs rescued from Electric City Buses that are perfect for something like this. They cost only $5-$7 each and you can stack them to get the voltage you need with lots of current and low impedance.

I have lots of idiers, just not the time or money to try them out.

I really do like the idea of a LiPo battery powered Zen amp, it gives me butterflies thinking about how good it would sound with UFO transformers, fancy hermetically sealed resistors, Jupiter Caps, and all pure DC!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/04/19 at 23:10:21

I had the same crazy idea about running the tube amps on battery power.
I asked Steve if the amps could be build to run on battery power. He mentioned the voltages are too high to be safe.

I was given a Freed Eisemann FE-15 1925 battery radio. I cleaned it up and tried to get it working. Everything seems to work but I can't get any AM stations to tune in. It might be the antenna I am using. I don't have space to run a 100' of wires 20' in the air from my house to the barn, lol. That is probably the issue, I don't have a barn.
What was interesting to me is the voltages they used for the batteries. It runs on 4 different batteries. Two batteries are combined to output 90V and 22.5V, one is for 6V and the last one is 4.5V. They had speakers for these also but I think they were for headphones mainly. The speaker I found for it is around 1500 ohms.

radio1-33_001.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/04/19 at 23:15:17

Battery connections.

radio_con.jpg
  IP Logged
deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/04/19 at 23:18:28

Here is the schematic to see how it is connected.

radio_schematic.jpg
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #7 - 12/05/19 at 18:30:50

I was hoping to hear you got the radio working!  I hope all it is to fix is a better antenna!

deucekazoo
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/06/19 at 14:08:55

Its working but no stations yet. All the tubes glow and I have static on the speaker. I have searched and it seems these are hard to tune. I did finally find a manual for it and it shows how to tune it. I just have to find some time to mess with it. It has 3 dials to tune in the radio stations. So all 3 have to be in the right spot.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 12/06/19 at 17:14:36

Oh wow! I had no idea!

I'm wondering if there is a way to discretely add an external tuner. Or if you're going to go that far, rig up an Aux input (no holes drilled of course!) and put Bluetooth on it! That makes me giddy just thinking of a nearly 100 year old radio with hidden Bluetooth receiver getting daily use!

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print