Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/16/24 at 22:31:57 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone Use This 'Holy Grail' Tube?... (Read 22008 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Anyone Use This 'Holy Grail' Tube?...
12/01/19 at 17:05:52

Has anyone actually used this type of front end [input] tube with their Zen amplifier?...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133239684100?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984....

Very pricey, so would like to know ahead of time if it's worth it... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone Use This 'Holy Grail' Tube?...
Reply #1 - 12/01/19 at 18:09:46

Check stone_of_tone's posts.  I think he may have run his ZMA off of them or similar.  If it's the same tube, he swore by them.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/01/19 at 19:27:17

I am using a Telefunken PCC189 in the Driver position of my UFO25.  In my CSP3 I am using Seimens ECC88, with splatter shield, grey shields and date tabs in the output positions and the driver position is a Valvo PCC88 D getter.

The TF, Seimens and Valvo have a character that is similar with the exception of the TF PCC189 which has density across the spectrum and bass that is the strongest of the Euro tubes.  I would say that it’s a slight bit on the dark side without loosing any resolution through the frequency spectrum.

I have also tried Lorenz and Tesla PCC88 and ECC88.  The Tesla are the 37 Trinic plant variety and for $8.00 ea the PCC88 are really close to the premium Euro tubes.  I also have tried my Amprex BB 6DJ8 and while I do like it, it is a second to the above tubes.

However personal taste and associated components will definitely be a factor, and that can differ from person to person, system to system as well as the room acoustics.  

IMO the NOS TF, Seimens and Valvo are definitely worth it despite the fact that I think the prices can be silly.  But I can’t argue with the level of performance and reliability.

Recently I spent more money than I ever thought I would on a couple of Philips Miniwatt GZ 34 Metal Base.  My only regret is that I didn’t do it sooner as I would have saved a lot of time, money and aggravation trying to find cheaper alternatives.  But, be very careful when buying a TF or any other Euro tube.  The part code can be the same for tubes that are of very different construction.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/01/19 at 21:53:21

I have two varieties of Telefunken E88CCs, a single with gold label and CCa 1 on the box, and a pair with white labelling. I think the gold label one is early 60s and the white label 65.

I also have a pair of true Telefunken ECC189s, and PCC88s, both with O getters, angled getter risers, and the diamond on the bottom. Many of the latter types are relabelled Telefunken, often good tubes, but not Telefunken.

I find Telefunkens are really competent  tubes, especially liking some 4 volt rectifiers that need adapters in my Torii IV.

Of the input tubes I have, though they sound like "family" each is pretty different within this Telefunken competence and completeness though...like you would expect from comparing E88CC, ECC88/ECC189, and PCC88.

In my current setup, the white label E88CCs are almost wildly "correct and complete," almost technicolor to me, doing everything they do so well I am impressed, but in the past, I lost interest...sounding too "hifi" to a point of overwhelming a sense of "real." Obviously how my system is set up, I can only fault them as being too much of what they are based on how they interact with my set up.

And speaking of setup, I have never been a real fan of 6922 types in my Toriis, a little in the face for me, so I have not tuned to dial them in, rather using less forceful, more relaxed/open tubes.

That said, I just put this pair of E88CCs in the Torii IV, now heavily modified to be less thick, more revealing, complete, fast, and able to show nuance, and I am impressed with less reservations. The bass is powerful and clear, and the rest is really well balanced, full, yet revealing with this pair.

But my amp is not stock. And before modifications, I always tuned for musical clarity, tighter bass with less heaviness, and still the Telefunken inputs I had tended to be a little heavy handed in bass/fullness for me, and everything else for that matter. Now, having worked over caps, resisters, wires, connectors, attenuators....the amp is more articulate, easy flowing and revealing of nuances, and these tubes sound great, but I still prefer a more spacious, less "perfect" sound...one that gives me a more "live" feeling.

I can hear how many think of these as a world class tubes though, and if I took a notion, I have little doubt I could get them to sound more like I love with some other tube work. Excluding my preference for less forceful tubes than E88CCs in general, I can't fault them except as possibly sounding too perfect, too technical...all the right subtle and not so subtle information there in a big way...

My Telefunken PCC88s, I used to find more dark/dense like Joman, but with my system now, where I have solved most "thickness," they still are a little dark/veiled, but sound pretty right. They have a powerful bass, less than the E88CCs, but notably powerful. And they are more spacious, but oddly retain a subtle veiled dark thing. Interestingly, PCC88s, historically being more to my tastes for a "real" feel, complete and articulate with a complex spacious delicacy mids up that good PCC88s support, these particular ones still have that Telefunken thing...to me, "too" expressive of what they do. But again, I have not tuned for them, and I particularly love harmonic content for bringing up a live feel. These have it all in a big way, but being powerful, full and complete, the subtler, finer detail harmonics are less in the balance than many tubes I like.

The Telefunken ECC189s, a tube type I use a lot, these sound dark and a little thick  though I have not burned them in and they may be new. They are not as forceful, big and extended on bottom as the E88CCs or PCC88s.

Just some quick thoughts based entirely on my system and preferences.

At this point, to me, these Telefunken E88CCs are not worth the high premium. But if these traits that are not exactly great for my setup, are what a system needs, that may be a different story. No doubt to me, these E88CC as really good tubes.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 12/01/19 at 22:18:38

Great analysis, Will... Much to consider... I'm tempted to try a few of the options... I use an Amperex Bugle Boy 6 DJ8 with 'D' getter right now as input tube for my 2 watt Zen amp... Playing into a pair of Randy's baffle speakers... I listen to mostly good classical recordings. I like the openness of the BB tube... Almost clinical in its expression. What I would call accurate bass, not too fat...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/01/19 at 23:44:04

I am on the run, so quick, but I hope this helps.

I had not listened to late 50s D getter Bugle Boys in years, but recalled them as being a really good tube also, with quite powerful, yet articulate bass for the type, and notable completeness, almost sounding like slightly relaxed 6922 more than a more typical 6DJ8. I found them pleasantly revealing, with a nice musical "body" that does not take away from fine detail and space.

So I thought I should test my memory and compared a few tunes with the white label Telefunken E88CCs. To start I replaced a BEL (Mullard tooling), a relatively bold ECC88 I had in front of my CSP3, with a clearer but musical Siemens PCC189. This seemingly subtle change was bigger than I expected, making the Telefunkens in the Torii more to my liking, subtly relaxing them and taking that over-expressive edge off them for me. Very nice.

The D getter BBs, are to me, similar in quality for good tubes doing good things, but the Telefunkens being very complete 6922s, have stronger bass and everything else...and more edge definition without being edgy here per se. The D getter BBs are more relaxed, softer, to me in a pleasant way, and also very revealing of detail with a little more noticeable spacial information and delicacy, especially noticeable in decays. I don't hear "clinical" from them, but we have different setups. Actually, I think the smooth midrange body of the D getter BBs is musical, but it could be a little bit warm/soft for some settings, and in yours, perhaps tending toward "clinical." What a labyrinth.

So on a very quick analysis, I would say the Telefunkens are more expressive of power across the spectrum, a similar balance, but with more power behind it, more extended (especially low) and more revealing of edge speed and articulation. Though as I said, I would not say the BBs are not articulate, but they are mellower and more relaxed here.

My speakers and amp both tend toward warm, and go low. I have only heard Randy's speakers on the live stream, so difficult to say, but by comparison to Bob's speakers, I find them more mid focused and clear in general. I suspect that with your baffles, any tube that may tend to having overly expressive bass with speakers that go deeper, may be really good there, and the rest is so complete and full without being thick (at least here), maybe these Telefunkens would be a good match....can't say!

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/02/19 at 00:29:42

I have to make a correction... the Seimens in the CSP3 output positions are E88CC not ECC88... makes a difference.  I have tried to find a cheaper alternative without much success as these are now in my “silly” price point.  I do have a total of 3 pair all NOS.  The ones currently in use being have a lot of life left.

I am trying a pair of Tesla E88CC (not ECC88) from the 37 Trinic plant to see how well they will compare to the Seimens.  Can’t say at this point as I just installed them.  Initial feelings are that they are a very nice tube especially for the price ($50.00 Pr.) but I have doubts that they will be an alternative to the Seimens E88CC, grey shield, w/splatter guard and date tag in the tube... sigh.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/02/19 at 00:38:11

It's rare to hear anyone speak so objectively about tubes with any authority... So, I thank you all for your input. [no pun]...

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 12/02/19 at 15:51:18

As long as we're still on the subject, has anyone tried this input tube and adapter combination?

https://www.tubedepot.com/products/ge-5670w-and-5670-to-6922-adapter-combo

There's also a 'white paper' on the subject, here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0

IP Logged
spyder1
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12/02/19 at 18:20:18

The 5670 to 6922 adapter works with Russian 6N3P-EV vacuum tubes. With 5670 and 6N3P-EV tubes, there are many tube rolling combinations .

IP Logged
JOMAN
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 12/02/19 at 18:53:37

Update on the Tesla E88CC...

Working from home and now about 10 hours on them.  Really nice tube.  Similar family sound to the pricier Euro tubes.  Slightly different from the Seimens E88CC which have more authority especially in the mids without being mid heavy, but the Teslas have a really nice ease that is addictive.  I’ll put another 15 or so hours before I go into further detail.

So I picked up another pair, $25.00 Pr.  Note: The Tesla E88CC that I have have the 37 Trinic plant code, rhodium plated pins, splatter guard, grey shield.  I did try the 32 factory code, gold pins some time ago and didn’t care for them - personal preference only.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/02/19 at 23:43:25

I read that iFi paper a few years ago, and excited, found a good price from a reputable ebay seller on a pair of WE 396A. I got adapters from a Chinese seller. Unfortunately, the very nicely made adapters have short pins for my tube sockets which are inset below the amp plate. Luckily I had some Tubemonger socket savers around, and cumbersome with two adapters, they worked well enough to get a good test.

The 396As sound really good to me at the volumes I can pull from them, but they are quiet enough before distortion in my amp that it is hard to truly compare. Everything set the same with my Torii and pre stages, the WEs end up playing notably quieter than all my 6922/6DJ8/7DJ8 types, and cause my Torii to go into distortion when I raise pots to try and get to my favored serious listening levels.

6N1Ps create a similar issue in my setup. Don't know, but wonder if it is some power draw thing with these tubes that is different from 6922 types??? I recall looking around the 5760W tube talk back when this first happened, to see if there was an explanation and could not easily find anything, not even similar complaints, so gave up and moved on.

I also think I recall Steve commenting on the 6N1P issue at some point, but can't remember...Is this Torii specific, or what the actual cause is???

Hopefully Steve or someone else who knows will catch this post and comment.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #12 - 12/11/19 at 18:06:51

Quote:
As long as we're still on the subject, has anyone tried this input tube and adapter combination?

There's also a 'white paper' on the subject, here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0

I have a pair of these that I installed in my Mystery Amp this weekend. They sound good and weren't terribly expensive. I don't have my listening room setup so I can't really say how good or better than anything else I have as I'm not really able to do critical listening in my non-treated dining room. But I have nothing bad to say about them!

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #13 - 12/11/19 at 19:01:09

Quote:
6N1Ps create a similar issue in my setup. Don't know, but wonder if it is some power draw thing with these tubes that is different from 6922 types??? I recall looking around the 5760W tube talk back when this first happened, to see if there was an explanation and could not easily find anything, not even similar complaints, so gave up and moved on.

I also think I recall Steve commenting on the 6N1P issue at some point, but can't remember...Is this Torii specific, or what the actual cause is???

The TORII MK4 was designed fairly close to the knee point of the 6N1P.  That means the voltage feeding the tube was deliberate kept on the low side.  Unfortunately due to variables in the production of the 6N1P and variables in supply voltage from peoples outlets it is possible for the tube to be under voltage causing distortion.  When this happens the amp sounds fine, but is limited to about 5 or 6 watts of output.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/12/19 at 17:20:26

Thanks for clarifying this Steve.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #15 - 12/21/19 at 18:04:08

There's also a 'white paper' on the subject, here: https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=148150.0The

Thanks for the heads up on this. Best tube (by far) I’ve used in my Zen!!!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #16 - 12/21/19 at 21:54:56

Interestingly enough I read about this tube this week and ordered a pair of adapters and a pair of the GE. Will take me a few weeks to get the former so I have a bit of a wait, but will be interesting to give them a try. I have two preamps and four amps I could try them in!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #17 - 01/04/20 at 15:15:56

I can comment on the 396A and 5670W with use of an adapter.

The Westinghouse 396A is a nice tube but it can be difficult to find samples that have closely matched sections for gain or Mu, which is what I look at first. Most that I have tested have a gain of 30 too 33 but sections can be off over 10% and I prefer a 3-5 % max difference section to section.

The second thing that I look for is low self noise, which in the 396A is usually quite good, -82 dB on my maxipre tester.
The sections usually measure very close for noise.

The GE 5670W is much easier to source and can be had for next to nothing. ( < $10 a tube vs $50 too $60 for a WE 396A )

I expected the 5670 to test as consistently as a 7316, since I believe both were developed for use in test instruments and not audio applications. ( edited out "data", had data on the brain this AM! )

The 5670Ws did not test as tight as the 7316s and even though the have a "W" designation, which I always thought meant low noise, they do not appear to be screened very tight for low noise, compared to other "W" type tubes that I have tested.

Self noise runs -78 dB too -80 dB and varies section to section on some examples.

The 5670Ws do match very consistently for section gain, with gain running 30 too 33 Mu with 3 -5 % matches.

I am probably way too picky with section matching for both gain and noise. BTW, both of these tube are medium Mu tubes and fall well within the 6922, 7308 family of tubes with regards to gain.

Both tubes sound very nice in my SE84UFO25 and I could live with either, but the GE 5670W is much easier to source and if you have a very good shot at getting closely matched tube sections.

I sourced my adapters from the Tube Depot, the GE 5670Ws from various ebay sellers.

1.4/1.5 MHz 20 Bit PCM Qobuz or SSD
HQPE - sonicTransporter i9
HQP Client - i3 Tablet
HQP NAA - Sonore Sig Series Rendu
USB > Holo KTE May > SA1X/47 > ZBIT > ZSTAGE25 > SE84UFO25
Avantgarde Duo Omega & Townshend Super Tweeters
IsoMax > Rives Parc > SUB225s
  IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #18 - 01/04/20 at 16:29:04

Oh My Goodness- I love reading these kinds of inquiries and posts. Lon, looking forward to your findings when the tubes and adaptors arrive and you get some time with them. Mr. Derrick thank you for the depth of info here. If it were not for these kind of posts, I never would have found out that my Rachel could run 807's with adaptors and that has been a great experience. Keep them coming and happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #19 - 01/04/20 at 20:31:33

Chris,
I got the adaptors in today and started rolling some tubes.

The GE are nice dainty little tubes that burn BRIGHT! A rather mellow sound so far--no complaints from me. I'm pairing them right now with a pair of Amperex (made in England) 0A3 voltage rectifiers that seem a nice match. Sounding similar to the Lorenz PCC189 I had in for a few days . . . . I'll keep them in the coming week and see how they "evolve" (just got told to shut my stereo off by my weekend boss, that's probably it for the weekend!)

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #20 - 01/05/20 at 12:32:31

I recall the GE JAN5670Ws to sound a bit slow and bloated at first.

HQP Client - i3 Tablet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #21 - 01/05/20 at 17:04:50

Yes, many tubes do. It did clarify a bit in a few hours of use. Interested to hear the system tomorrow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #22 - 01/06/20 at 14:53:37

Wow. Only about 10 hours in on these GE tubes with adaptors and the new Amperex 0A3 and I'm getting stellar sound. Played around with gain between components and have found just the right tonal balance, nice dynamics and a nice blend of detail and imaging. Quite a nice change.

This is the first 0A3 I've managed to keep in the amps for a while since break-in. Not as much "push" as some and a slightly mellow signature.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #23 - 01/07/20 at 17:21:20

These little 5670 tubes really are quite nice. I have always preferred the warmer sound of the 6N1P tube over the extra detail of a 6DJ8. This little tube seems to have the right amount of both. It is my favorite input tube so far. I just ordered another dozen @ $3.95 per tube plus $7.00 shipping. Grin Grin Grin

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 01/07/20 at 20:47:04

I bit and decided to try a 5670.  We'll see.   Thanks for the heads up.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #25 - 01/07/20 at 21:10:41

I'm back to Sylvania 0B3 as the Amperex (British) 0A3 were a bit too edgy overall, a bit fatiguing.

I've a new pair of output tubes (not Steve's, very similar to Steve's though but bought in bulk, not rigorously tested and matched), and the Sylvania are pretty darned new, and these new GE  5670 and converters, and a lot to burn in but very clear and detailed sound, dynamic too. Like a new amp to explore, wonderful sounds.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #26 - 01/09/20 at 23:52:39

These amps and preamps are amazing in what they reveal about tube characteristics and how a full complement is influenced by the individual tubes in the components.

I got really involved in building complements around these new 5670 and in some I lost the "magic." At the end of a few days of exploring. . . I ended up with fantastic sound with the not-so-new output tubes from Steve, the Sophia Electric 274B, the Sylvania 0B3 voltage regulators, and 6N5P from Steve as the input tubes, all this with 6N5P from Steve in the ZTPRE. Really really nice sound that is tonally well-mannered, revealing inner detail, and very spacious sounding.

I stuck a fork in it for now, done. Time for another spell of just reveling in the music and sound.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #27 - 01/10/20 at 14:24:38

I forgot to add that I have also now rolled in the National 12AU7 that I received with my modded ZROCK2 and that I'm enjoying it now that it has some good hours on it.

That means that I am now running Steve matched and thoroughly tested tubes in my entire input and output chain, only rectifiers and regulation tubes not from Steve. The balanced quality of these tubes is . . . audible.

IP Logged
craigcarter
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 01/11/20 at 15:30:12

I purchased a set of 5670/adapters for my ToriiMkIII based on the reviews and all I can say is OMG what an amazing improvement as described by Lon. Is there any additional benefit to also replace the tubes in the CSP2+ with these too... triple my sonic enjoyment? Perhaps five of these little tubes are overkill, but they do look cool sitting on their thrones.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #29 - 01/11/20 at 16:23:58

Looking back in this thread, I see that Spyder mentions that a 6N3P can also be used with this adapter. Has anyone compared that tube with the 5670?

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #30 - 01/11/20 at 17:42:42

Hmmm....we'll have to find out.

IP Logged
MrDerrick
Seasoned Member

May The Source Be
With You!

Reply #31 - 01/12/20 at 00:35:56

Yes, the 6N3P is the "Russian" equivalent.

Extremely lost cost, $1 -  $2 dollars each.

Not certain if there are any North America based sellers.

I thought about a bulk European purchase, but I don't know how many will pass screening or how they even sound.

HQP Client - i3 Tablet
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #32 - 01/12/20 at 02:27:48

Yes, very cheap tubes. I ordered 8 from a Ukraine dealer I've used successfully before. And I ordered four more GE 8670 and adaptors so that I can experiment with both these tube types in the CSP2+ and CSP3 (both with the mods) as well as in my ZTPRE. These paired with the right complement are quite interesting and involving tubes, I found that with an Amperex 12AU7 in the ZROCK2 and the old Sylvania 0B3 in the Monoblocks, and the Aqua rectifiers I get more depth to the sound field, something my speaker positioning makes more challenging in this room than the previous. . . .

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 01/12/20 at 02:31:44

So far I have a very favorable impression of the 5670.  Gives up nothing on the Mullard I was using and perhaps a better sound stage.   More 3D.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
ArtMan
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 01/12/20 at 13:59:25

I may be late responding to this topic but when I read the details on Ebay, it indicated that these were new Telefunken tubes, not NOS. The Telefunken name has been purchased by New Sensor. The new Telefunken tubes are now being made in the JJ factory. New Sensor also purchased the Mullard name. These are not the same as NOS Telefunken tubes.

Here is the detail text below:

New FACTORY MATCHED PAIR (TWO) 6922 E88CC Telefunken-Elektroakustik Black Diamond tubes.   The Telefunken-Elektroakustik 6922 is considered by many to be one of the finest made today.  

These tubes are closely matched at the factory.  These are custom made tubes for Telefunken-Elektroakustik and are classic in their design.
They are shipped in factory retail boxes  with factory matching numbers written on each box.

Here is description from the factory website:
The newly produced TELEFUNKEN E88CC-TK gold pin tube resurrects the transparent tone and harmonic impact of historical Siemens and TELEFUNKEN tubes. Whether it is installed in a phono stage or microphone preamplifier, this E88CC-TK will breathe new life into all audio equipment offering precise imaging, unmatched dynamics and a large full-bodied soundstage.

Also known as the 6922, the E88CC was originally targeted for test equipment and radar. The E88CC has medium gain, low noise and is a favorite for tight sounding audio input stages. There are some that will argue that the E88CC is the best sounding input tube ever designed.

The E88CC is a dual triode tube like the 12AX7, but has a different pin configuration making it not a direct plug-in replacement. It is most commonly employed in amplifier designs where more clean headroom is desired. The medium gain characteristic of the tube and the low-noise design are part of why this tube sounds as good as it does in microphone preamplifier and phono preamplifier applications.

Acer Laptop, Curious USB cable, Holo Audio May L2 DAC, ZRock 2, SE84UFO25, Fast 15 Network, Caintuck Audio Fast 15, Decware DSR3S/DHC2/ZFOCUS cables, Swiss Digital Fuse Boxes, Cryotone tubes (5AR4-WC, EL84-WC X 2, ECC88-WC, 0A3-WC X 2, 0D3-WC, 12AU7-WCL)
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 01/12/20 at 14:54:40

Hello Artman,

Yes, the Telefunken page Mark posted a link for at the top of this thread has changed, confusing things. It now shows the newly made "Telefunken" labelled tube as the sale item. But when Mark posted the link, it had shown a true NOS Telefunken for sale.

Looking above the new production tubes (that ebay lists as "something similar") at the top of the page is a panel with an exclamation point showing the original tube Mark was pointing to, the panel saying:

"The listing you're looking for has ended.

1 NOS tube Telefunken diamond E88CC 6922 = 6DJ8 CCa DC 1962 (911006)
Condition:      New
Ended:      Dec 11, 2019, 09:20:09 AM PST
Price:      US $175.00"

The Telefunken tubes I wrote about are NOS. I can't comment on the new ones, not having heard them, though I bet several here have! I think I recall Lon mentioning it somewhere in the Forum. It would be interesting to get some impressions on them.

Hope this helps.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #36 - 01/12/20 at 15:04:24

My experience with the new production Telefunken is positive, if limited. A pair came in my Magnum Dynalab 90T SE tuner. I at first didn't notice that as the tuner is advertised as coming with Electro Harmonix tubes and I just swapped them out with a pair of Sylvania 7308 even before initial listening. But after about 100 hours I put them back in as going through my tubes I noticed they were in fact the Telefunken. I was surprised, very pleasantly, to discover that they sound quite nice, very evenly balanced tonally with a defined soundstage, equally as good in that component as the Sylvania they replaced. With more hundreds of hours of use I remain quite pleased with their performance.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #37 - 01/15/20 at 22:03:56

Today I received four more GE 5670 and converter bases and I now have six installed in my ZTPRE. Very interesting in comparison to the Decware 6N5P that I have had in there for a number of days. A bit drier and at the same time a bit more detailed. Of course four are brand new and tomorrow will tell me more. I have more on the way so that I can also have these in the Monoblocks for a complete 5670 signal chain, and also have 8 of the 6N3 on the way for a comparison.

Fun. . . tube rolling can be fun.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #38 - 01/15/20 at 23:41:06

That’s cool, Lon. Please post your impressions after you’ve had a chance to evaluate.  I’m very interested in how the 6N3 sounds compared to the 5670.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #39 - 01/16/20 at 00:17:13

I'll certainly post my impressions. The 6N3 are coming from another continent so it will take a few more weeks.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #40 - 01/17/20 at 00:01:33

Quote:
Today I received four more GE 5670 and converter bases and I now have six installed in my ZTPRE. Very interesting in comparison to the Decware 6N5P that I have had in there for a number of days. A bit drier and at the same time a bit more detailed. Of course four are brand new and tomorrow will tell me more. I have more on the way so that I can also have these in the Monoblocks for a complete 5670 signal chain, and also have 8 of the 6N3 on the way for a comparison.

Fun. . . tube rolling can be fun.

Ha! I just ordered more 5670W and have some 6N3 coming as well! The internet must be confused by the sudden run on these tubes! LOL

I agree with your thoughts...my listening session with Lightfoot Dan had the 5670 going into some of the Milspec G807 tubes on the Mystery amp, and it sounded really good! I wouldn't say detail like the "holy grail" Telefunks, but very even across all bands with tight bass.

So I thought I'd roll some 6N3 and 5670W in the little Zen amp since it seems to need some retubing anyways.

I shouldn't say this because it will probably cause a run on them, but the 5670W are a great budget workhorse that does everything pretty well. If I had one of those modern tube testers like Steve or Bad Wolf, I'd probably buy several sleeves of them and sort them myself.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print