Driving Miss Betsy (Read 10460 times)
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Driving Miss Betsy
11/30/19 at 05:14:01

Over the past few weeks, interest in the Lii 15 baffles has been brisk to say the least ..... and I am currently waiting for a shipment of drivers (scheduled to arrive early in December) to complete orders in the build queue .....

However, I thought that the following is worth mentioning and consideration .....

There is no denying the amazing performance of the Lii 15 driver.
They produce a BIG sound, even in my low profile baffles .....

The sensitivity is pretty amazing and a two watt per channel Decware amplifier will light up even a large listening room with a pair of these speakers.  Most importantly, they make music.

I have lost count of how many email inquiries received asking me which of the speakers I offer is my "favorite" ..... the original Betsy baffles, the Betsy alnico baffles or the Lii 15 baffles ?
To the surprise of many, my sincere and honest reply is "whichever pair happens to be in the system when I am sitting in my listening chair".

This answer is not a "cop out" ..... each speaker has its own strengths and they all make music and make me want to spend time enjoying my music library.

To verify that I have not become totally delusional, over the past couple of weeks I have invited a couple of audio buddies to join me in extended listening sessions using the baffle versions mentioned above.
Both of these friends are long time audio buffs who have owned a lot of equipment over the years and have excellent taste in music.

The unanimous conclusion concurred with my opinion as stated above.

The amazing value of the original Betsy baffles has not diminished in the least. They are capable of filling a good sized room with music using a two watt per channel Decware amplifier ..... and when paired with a ZROCK, an inexpensive powered subwoofer or an additional baffle with a larger driver (powered by a subwoofer amp) create a very satisfying full range music system. They are involving and have a ton of "finesse".

I am more than happy to sell whichever speaker version that a customer desires ..... but feel that a reminder is in order not to "sell the Betsy baffle short". That would be a mistake ..... especially considering the musical bang for the buck and satisfaction that these speakers provide.

Just something to consider ..... especially for music lovers with a "smaller piggy bank" .....

Happy listening,
Randy

CEC TL5N belt drive CD transport
Cambridge Audio Azur 851N DAC / Streamer
Decware SE84UFO amplifier
Caintuck Audio Betsy Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii Silver-10 Open Baffles
Caintuck Audio Lii 15 Open Bass Baffle
WWW   IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Re: Driving Miss Betsy
Reply #1 - 11/30/19 at 21:34:06

I agree 100%, Randy. The Betsy Baffle is what started this whole open baffle craze. No doubt in my mind that, for the money, it is the best speaker that exists. True giant killers! I know that I’ll never part with mine.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
gnarlydad
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/20 at 19:51:32

Randy, thank you for taking the time to clarify what, to many here, has become a real issue. We frequently find ourselves pursuing what's "best" and walking away from what we really want: to make music reproduction affordable and enjoyable.

IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #3 - 01/09/20 at 20:10:36

Hi gnarlydad,

Thank you so much for the kind words .....

Since retiring from the IT industry in 2015, Caintuck Audio has allowed me to combine two of my very favorite things ..... music and amateur woodworking.

When I decided to offer some of my open baffle creations to the public, I adopted as a mission statement something that Steve Deckert coined a few years ago. To paraphrase his thought .....

"Excellent sounding audio equipment for the sincere but (financially) broke music lover"

Since 2015, I have stayed as busy building and selling speakers as I could have ever hoped for and the number of very positive emails I have received from customers has been very rewarding.

For a fact, I do make a profit on the speakers I sell ..... but compared to some of the loudspeakers in the commercial marketplace I think the value far exceeds the pricing.

The profit I make mostly goes to new woodworking tools and replacements for items like router bits, jigsaw blades, etc.

Whatever is left after that goes to increase my music library .....

It's really about the music ..... and the Betsy baffles make music at a bargain price.

Best wishes for a musical 2020,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/20 at 13:31:15

I have asked Randy on the Betsy dimension for own DIY.
However I can't remember which thread that was. So I hope it's okay to share the finished DIY Betsy with 8" FR Alnico here..

I have also posted over FB in those OB & DIY pages and these are the few comments received;
- how can.?
- the on-axis response has a worrying rise in the presence region.
- no eq or impedance leveling techniques employed
- baffle shape puts too much baffle edge equidistant from driver center
- a circular baffle is the worst performer, and this is heading in that direction
- put another dime's worth of metal into that effort
- i believe is just quick test for listening, he will be doing a proper design..

And many sarcastic emoticons..

As for my personal review..
I thought of a quick test for listening session.. then I was stuck to my chair.
The Betsy was just 6 foot in front of me but I couldn't hear any sound from them. I dimmed the room light and they just disappear..
All the music and voices was right at the front wall stage.. Every single note was up there precisely.
I am very impressed and have moved my existing Triangle Quartet floor stand to the side.
And I'm not sure why there are many out there which is not convinced or accepting this barrel shape thing..

Thanks again to Randy for this wonderful barrel.

betsy_384.jpg

Oppo UDP205-jb or Planar 3
Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
DSG. DSRII. DHC-1. ZSTYX.
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 01/13/20 at 13:40:49

another pic

betsy_383.jpg

Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 01/13/20 at 13:41:57

another pics

betsy_382.jpg

Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #7 - 01/13/20 at 13:46:53

Nice work!

People in the audiophile community can be very divisive and not supportive, and trapped in their own "ideas" and closed off from different ideas. Luckily denizens of this forum are not at all like that.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #8 - 01/13/20 at 15:27:21

Very nice, Anthony!  Who is the manufacturer of the driver?

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #9 - 01/13/20 at 15:35:02

Geno, Drivers are by Gamut Magnetic Laboratories (GML) from Singapore.

Lon, yes their opinion can be very disappointing.. But that doesn't hurt me.. I enjoyed their views..

Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #10 - 01/13/20 at 22:31:00

Hi Vooraphile,

Very nice .....

Thank you for the kind words .....

I decided to stop reading and contributing to most of the "audio forums" a long time ago.
From my experience, a lot of the "contributors" have more of an interest in talking about audio and debating "audio theory" rather than listening to music.
Many of them are "slaves to the numbers" and don't have the ability to think outside the box (pun intended).

A lot of the "eq or impedance leveling techniques" I have heard in the past do nothing but smear the sound, mess up the phase or suck the life out of the music, in my opinion.
There are a few exceptions (the Decware ZROCK among them), but I prefer simplicity whenever possible.

I learned a long time ago concerning audio equipment that "if it sounds good ..... it IS good".

There has been more than one visitor to my listening room who entered with the thought that "there is no way this stuff will sound good" and sat there with their foot tapping ..... often for two or more hours.

Quite a few of them went home with a pair of my speakers .....

Best wishes and happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Vooraphile
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 01/14/20 at 13:37:46

Randy.
Totally agree with "if it sounds good.. it is good"

Now I'm very tempted to build the 15..  :)

Teac NT505 to ZBit
CSP3-25 to SE84UFO25
Triangle Quartet 92dB
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 02/14/20 at 23:08:43

Very nice looking speakers.  Wish there was a way to compare drivers.  Like those vs the Lii Audio Crystal 10s.  Those sure look nice.  Well done.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 02/20/20 at 18:44:14

Randy said:

To the surprise of many, my sincere and honest reply is "whichever pair happens to be in the system when I am sitting in my listening chair".

I am coming more and more to this view of my OBs.  Betsy, Tang Band, Lii Audio 15 or Crystal 10.  They all sound good.  They are all very different speakers, but I adapt pretty quickly and stop listening to the speaker and start listening to the music.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Randy in Caintuck
Seasoned Member

Tube be ... or not
tube be ... it's a
no-brainer.

Reply #14 - 02/20/20 at 19:09:41

Hi Tom,

Yep .... I'm at the point in this hobby that an audio system either sounds good or it does not.
If the system is stinking up the room, it doesn't take long to figure that out .....

I used to suffer from a severe case of "audio nervosa", but am pretty much 100% recovered and am enjoying the music.

Happy listening,
Randy

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print