Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/24 at 06:29:56 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Room treatment - again - Diffusers (Read 1265 times)
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Room treatment - again - Diffusers
11/27/19 at 20:54:59

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
donovan
Verified Member

Re: Room treatment - again - Diffusers
Reply #1 - 11/27/19 at 22:53:32

Looks like a decent deal since it's 24x24. One piece of advice I have for diffusion is to avoid the foam diffusers. They are useless imo. I just received an email yesterday from GIK for Black Friday. 10% off their diffusers. Let me know if you want the coupon code. If I was in the market for more diffusers, their Gotham 2-pack model is interesting. Each are 17x17, so you get a 34x34 piece if you use them together.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/02/19 at 21:16:29

I like QRD diffusers better than these.  Expensive unless you make them.  Steve also offers them in kit form or assembled.

I do use Styrofoam diffusers and find them to work as well but they are brittle and break easily.  I would put them above what you are looking at imo.

Here are some links to some fractal styrofoam diffusers:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-Sound-Acoustic-Diffuser-Diffusor-Panel-Absorption...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-Quadratic-Fractal-Sound-Acoustic-Diffuser-Panel-Ab...

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/02/19 at 22:11:42

Good to hear those QRD that Steve sell are good. I’m planning on buying a set.

IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #4 - 12/03/19 at 22:32:17

I have a bunch of the Decware diffusers.

I also have some foam ones.  Many of GIK's products are made of foam, some where absorption is also part of the design use fiberglass.
Density of the foam makes a huge difference and what you mount it on(backing material). And you can paint the foam with various water-based coatings and increase their effectiveness/reflectivity.  

PI Audio Group https://piaudiogroup.com/
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9icgb-pi-audio-group-diffusers-room-treatme...

plastic: http://www.acousticsfirst.com/diffuser-art-diffusor.htm

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 12/03/19 at 22:44:30

Funny. I just ordered a set of Pi Audio Group diffusers from Greg. I want to see if they make a difference with my Caintuck Lii 15 open baffle speakers. I will miss my hemp doormats hanging on the wall though😁.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #6 - 12/04/19 at 16:07:21

I like the PI audio diffusers (the more fractal ones) quite a bit. I think they are some of the best bang for the buck. Palomino still has mine..I'll probably have to buy more for the new house.

Anyways, a few general rules to keep in mind when picking your diffusers:

You'll need *lots* for a proper effect. I've made surprising and noticeable changes with only a pair of 48" x 48"  sections, and in some rooms even that much didn't make a big enough improvement to make me happy. So move them around and see what sounds best in *your* room.  -Acoustics books say you really need 25% coverage of your surfaces to have proper diffusion - but I'm not sure I've even gotten that much done in my rooms yet.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Think of diffusers like speakers; you have different sized devices for different frequencies. Just like you wouldn't expect a tweeter to handle midrange and bass frequencies, don't expect small diffusers to affect mid and lower reflections. The frequency range a diffuser will treat is dependent on the width of the wells or slots (high or mid frequency), and the depth and width of the overall device (bass). Lower midrange on down will just wrap right around a 24" x 24" diffusers with only 3" of depth, like it's not even there.

That said, spatial cues come from higher frequencies; so diffusers like the Decware ones are a clever design because they are most likely to have an appreciable impact on your imaging. But the more you can diffuse down into the midrange (meaning bigger and deeper diffusers), the more clarity, definition, and timbre will be revealed.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Diffusers come in different flavors. I personally prefer QRD types as they seem to have a good effect, and are very mathematically predictable. Many diffusers out there are just scattering devices, which is better than nothing, but may have unpredictable effects. Again, experiment and move them around.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, for those of us running low wattage, or are in general low volume listeners, I prefer the 1D diffusers over the 2D. Meaning the diffusers that diffuse in only 1 direction, typically horizontal. The reason being that the 2D devices like the checkerboard and skyline devices reflect in a spherical pattern...the sound hits the devices and sends the reflections up to the ceiling and down into the carpet as well as horizontal on your listening plane. Where the tall vertical 1D devices reflect everything on the horizontal keeping all that sound energy where you're listening.

Obviously I really enjoy diffusers, and they have made an amazing impact on so many rooms. So I get excited when I see people experimenting with them. I say Go For it! In fact, double your order! You won't regret it!   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/04/19 at 16:52:11

LR,

If the first set of four 24"x48" panels work well, I'll probably get a second set. Should be here on Friday. I'll move them around to see what sounds best.

Hope you are enjoying life in Colorado. Helluva bike ride back from Decfest this year.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #8 - 12/04/19 at 17:18:46

That was one rough 17 hours, freezing cold ride across the Great Plains I don't *ever* plan on doing again...all for a $1500 motorbike. LOL  It was an adventure for sure.

I'm still working on the house. Fixer-Upper is quite a nebulous term, and this house is full of surprises! I'm hoping to have walls put back together, ceilings patched, and flooring in by the end of December and just calling it good for now as I simply don't have the budget to do even 1/4 of what I want to do.

That said, since I'm putting a pin in the renovation and putting flooring in  (crossing fingers) soon, this thread prompted me to E-mail Greg and ask for current pricing on the PI diffusers.

I did buy myself a laser cutter/engraver like Steve's, but with a little more power; so I'm designing a flat pack diffuser kit I hope to be able to sell to friends who don't mind getting their hands dirty with DIY.  But it will be a long ways off, as I'm still learning to use the laser...and have already started 3 small fires and broke one (rather expensive) laser tube. (sigh).  So hopefully you all will see more of me once I get the house more put together and I'll have some cool laser based ideas to share with you all!

HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/04/19 at 18:49:51

LR,

I purchased my set from Greg for $260 shipped. He has an ad on Audiogon. Trying these at the suggestion of Dave Elledge (Pi Audio Group) who just built me one of his UBERBuss power conditioners.

Stay warm & hope you got a snow blower.⛄

HK

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #10 - 12/06/19 at 17:16:51

So yeah, I've reached out to Greg...looks like I'd better buy a lot of black paint, because I'm putting in an order for a crapload of the PI diffusers!

Time to get my livingroom put together and start working on two channel and 7.2 channel setups!

Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #11 - 12/06/19 at 17:50:16

HK,

Please post your impressions after you've had a chance to evaluate these. I'm very interested in how these work with an open baffle setup. The price looks very good for these, too!

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print