Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/24 at 20:00:53 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm thinking about swinging the other way (Read 9148 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

I'm thinking about swinging the other way
11/23/19 at 15:19:45

I've been looking at some solid state amplifiers. I know, take me out back and shoot me to put me out of my misery.
I've never really had anything with big "horsepower" and was thinking about dipping my toes in the waters for the heck of it
I first thought about First Watt, but they really aren't any more powerful than my Torii.
I've been a fan of Wyred 4 sound and they have some pretty good prices on several of their amps, both mono blocks and integrated.
The PS Audio Stellar line looks good for the money.
My wife told me to buy myself something so that she didn't have to listen to my moaning and grumping about working all of the time so she can sit on her butt at home all day.
Anyway, I digress, anyone got any ideas?

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: I'm thinking about swinging the other way
Reply #1 - 11/23/19 at 15:49:17

Get an Anniversary Zen amp instead. Honestly I don't think any solid state amp out there we're likely to afford and buy is worth it. I bought one, a Peachtree Audio Grand Integrated, that was their flagship, was a lauded implementation of the ICE module, critics loved, users raved about, had a dedicated headphone amp inside designed by BHK that many loved, and each time I used it I kept wishing it would sound like a Decware amp. I ended up selling it and not losing much, and went along listening to my Decware amps with renewed appreciation.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #2 - 11/23/19 at 16:48:50

Donnie,

I have a fully assembled ZKIT60 in stock.  

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
alper_yilmaz
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/23/19 at 16:56:41

I have some experience with Hegel amps and they are really good!  They would never replace my UFO25, yet as far as SS goes, Hegel is a company that I love for the buck!

Mac Mini
Audirvana
Rega RP6 w/ Ania Pro & Rega Fono MC MK4
Rotel RCD1070
Hegel HD30 & Copland DAC215
Fezz Audio Mira Ceti 300B, Decware SE84UFO25, Decware SE34I.2+ & Copland CTA405
ProAc D28, B&W DM630 & Rega RS1
Stein & BlackNoise filters
DH Labs cables
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 11/24/19 at 07:05:46

Ok...I’m not gonna lie....with a title like this one, I just couldn’t help myself but to smirk and reply back.  A happy clown 🤡 walking down a hallway and holding a balloon comes to mind!!  

Anyway...with the Schiit line of products being well respected here...maybe take a look at their lineup.  Maybe something like their fully loaded Ragnarok would be a consideration.  John Darko speaks highly of the Hegel amps as well, so I’m sure that would be contender.  Just a thought.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 11/24/19 at 19:04:38

You might consider two separate systems. For me, the recording and source will largely delegate the rest of the system. Man, there are so many recordings out there that require 'tube correction'. Speakers are so important as well in delivering the last stage of presentation. In addition, there are speakers voiced more for tube amplification such as the Decware ZOB, and so SS is not to be. And on we go striving for synergy.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/25/19 at 00:19:23

I have a pair of the PS Audio M700s. I think they are great amps. That said. I replaced them with a $290 Chinese tube amp Oldchen kt-88 k-1. My brother and I both agree. The m700s do everything better but they are worse. The m700s didn't have any magic and didn't draw me into the music like the Oldchen amp.

As I wait on my Torii MKIV I need to decide which amp to listen to, the Oldchen which is charming as it tries it's best or the M700s which are on the clinical side.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dana
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/25/19 at 05:29:28

Tom Waits:
And the newspapers were fooling,
And the ash-trays have retired
'Cause the piano has been drinking,
The piano has been drinking
The piano has been drinking,
Not me, not me, not me, not me, not me
  IP Logged
SteveB

It's a fine line
between hobby and
mental illness.

Reply #8 - 11/25/19 at 07:16:53

Check out a Crown XLS drivecore2. Very versatile. It can monoblock, biamp and has a built in active crossover. The lowest powered one has more wattage than I would know what to do with. At $300 I might get one for my Imperials. See if I can crack some plaster.

SOTA sapphire turntable with Soundsmith the Voice cartridge
Schiit Jotunheim with phono card
Schiit Gungnir Multibit
1959 Motorola EL84 tube amp
Decware imperials with Altec 811b horns and Alnico drivers
Raspberry pi / Volumio as a streamer
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/25/19 at 14:01:42

Donnie, I am never speaking to you again.  But if I did, I would suggest the Crown as well.  That Nuforce is interesting.  If you ever got this way again, I would loan you a class D and/or a older crown.  But we'd have to agree not to speak.

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #10 - 11/25/19 at 17:19:15

I'm leaning heavily towards the ZKIT 60 right now.
That way I stay in the family and can still hold my head high.
The ZKIT 60 fits my needs pretty darn good. Plus I've heard it before and it sounded real good.

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 11/25/19 at 17:37:01

OK, we are back on speaking terms again.  

Was the Zkit60 at the Fest this year?

i7 Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Audirvana 3.5, Uptone Audio Regen on LPSU, Mytek Brooklyn DAC+, Ven Haus DIY Silver ICs, 25th Ann. Zen, PS Audio P5 Power Supply, PS Audio Power Cords, GR Research Speaker Wire, DIY Big Betsy and Crystal 10 Open Baffle Speakers
  IP Logged
maddog07
Seasoned Member

seeker of truth

Reply #12 - 11/25/19 at 23:57:02

If you just want to play around with decent SS… and not spend a boat load of $$$.
Second on the Crown XLS… unbelievable power, SQ and flexibility for the money.  I have also owned some of the Wyred amps... B&O ICE based with Wyred's input buffer and power supply.  IMO, the Wyred's sound a lot like the Crown XLS - they just cost a lot more than a Crown XLS and don't have any of the Crown's functionality.

I’d be the last person to tell you that “any” amp is the end-all, be-all for every speaker, system, etc.
There is no such amp, or other audio component for that matter, that is “the best period”.
That said, I have owned a lot of SS amps over the years.  All good to very good in some regard mated with a synergistic speaker.
To name a few; Levinson #27, Krell KSA-250, Threshold S300, Audio Research D400(ss) and VT-100, Aragon 4004 and 8008BB, Classe’ DR-25, a few of the Emotiva’s, a BAT and several more – but I digress.

The only definitive statement that I personally could make about an amp/speaker synergy, would be the ClassDAudio SDS-470C is the best amp I’ve ever heard driving Maggie’s.  And this is a pretty inexpensive amp.  They inject “life” into lazy Maggie’s like no other amp I’ve ever heard.

Anyway, back to the Crown XLS'.  I’ve owned the XLS-2500 and I currently have two XLS-2502’s.  The 02 versions don’t sound any different, nor have any more power than the 00, but the 02’s have more x-over functionality, slightly different cosmetics and you can “Completely” turn off ALL the lights on the front, including the retina scorching blue power LED. Though Crown isn’t quite as bad as some company’s (one company in particular comes to mind) in the prolific cluttering up of their components front panels with blue LED’s.

I originally purchased the Crown 2500 to drive 15” Augie’s, yes plural, as in four Augie’s, two per side, in OB’s.  One channel of one Crown driving two Augie’s and the other channel of the Crown driving the other two Augie’s.  In this configuration, I’m pretty sure I could lift my house off its foundation and the Crown 2502 is barely off idle.  At normal listening levels, the “signal present” light on the Crown is on solid and the -20db light flickers occasionally.  If you get the -20db light on solid and the -10db light flickering – you’ve already entered the hearing damage zone of SPL levels.

Out of curiosity, I have hooked my Crown’s to numerous speakers.  Including Betsy Baffles, Audio Nirvana SCF 15” ferrites, Audio Nirvana SCF 12” Alnico’s, Decware DM945’s, Martin Logan Vista’s, Maggie 1.6’s and several others.  The Crown is a very good SS amp IMO.  It’s not the perfect synergy for every speaker – no amp is.  And everyone hears different and will have their own preferences.  But I can’t think of another SS amp, at anywhere near the $$ that sounds better.  Different maybe – but better?  And any that does, will not have the functionality of the XLS Crown’s.
I "expected" to hear a cold, harsh, clinical sound from the Crown, especially on full-rangers.  I truly assumed I would have an OMG turn it down, turn it off reaction.  But I didn't!  The Crown is a little drier, less liquid and fluid through the mids, not quite as holographic in all regards as my main reference tube setup.  But it was not objectionable at all.  I would even go so far as to say, with the speakers I've tried it with, it is a little on the warm/laid back side for SS.  In fact the Crown with my Martin Logan stats is a pretty darn good synergy.  One of my audio buddies actually prefers the Crown/Martin Logan setup to my full-rangers and tubes setup.  But, like everything else - to each his own.  I would say the Crown lacks a bit of low volume "liveliness" and micro dynamics to some degree, even with high-efficiency, full-rangers.  But this is pretty common for most SS amps I've ever heard, especially those of the Class A/B variety.

I have heard, that the circuitry in the lowest powered Crown XLS, the 1002, is not exactly the same as the higher powered ones, and is not as good.  I have not verified this with my own ears or by any other objective means.  I've only owned the 1500 and 2500 versions at the same time.  And I could not reliably tell a difference in the sound between the two.  The Crowns are so inexpensive, if you're going to be a bear, you just as well be a grizzly bear IMO.

I watched for “deals” when I got the 2502’s and paid a little over $300 each - from Sweetwater I believe if memory serves.  A buddy now has my first 2500 and another buddy has a 1502 that I got from RandyInCainTuck.

I only wanted the 2502 because of its additional x-over functionality and the fact that you can turn off all its front panel lights.
It likely won’t be your “end game” amp.  But I’d bet you’ll keep it around, just to drive the 18” Gauss bass bins in your HT -  
Grin

All the above said… I also own a Torii and a Cary tube amp.  With the right speaker/s… they still have more magic and keep me engaged better than any SS I’ve ever had in my room.  For that reason, I will probably always have tubes in the chain somewhere at a minimum.  Though I want to try some Nelson Pass creations one of these days, probably the First Watt J2 for my full-rangers.  You just never know…

Wink

Decware Torii MK3, Wyred4Sound DAC2, Theta Digital Miles, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5, Aesthetix Calypso, Wyred STP-SE, Martin Logan Vista, Audio Nirvana 12" Alnico's, PS Audio PW P5, Goertz, Kimber, Nordost and DIY wires, PSA pwr cords, Cary SLI-80, DM945's.....
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 11/29/19 at 12:43:49

I just ordered a fully assembled ZKIT60 and a power chord.
Let's just see where this leads.

IP Logged
Melvin
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/19 at 13:06:51

I'll be very interested in your opinion Donnie. I was recently looking for a new ss integrated with more options than the ZKIT60, so I passed. Best of luck with it.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/29/19 at 16:38:33

Quote:
... a fully assembled ZKIT60 ...

Coward!   Grin

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #16 - 11/29/19 at 17:08:46

IP Logged
Showme
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/29/19 at 20:34:46

I definitely want to hear that power "chord" mentioned in post #13.

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #18 - 11/29/19 at 20:40:59

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print