Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/24 at 01:48:24 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Roon Ready Endpoint /Music streamer recommendation (Read 6776 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Roon Ready Endpoint /Music streamer recommendation
11/19/19 at 17:43:13

I’m on the verge of buying a Roon subscription, and have been looking at various Roon endpoints that are Roon ready.  Looking for a few recommendations on a multi room music streamer that is Roon ready.  I’d ,Ike to know what you guys are using and why you like the product.  

I know there is  the Google Chromecast audio on the cheap side for like $50 bucks, and then then you go all up to like a PS Audio Dac that runs double duty as a dedicated DAC and Roon endpoint.  

My requirements thus far obviously is that it can handle HiRes, it utilizes WiFi, and that it has a dedicated out to attach to a DAC.  

So far I like the Bluesound Node 2i, but I have seriously considered the Bowers and Wilkins Formation Audio unit.  The B&W unit utilizes it’s own dedicated mesh WiFi network which runs independently of your home WiFi network, and it boasts a transfer at like .03 seconds to sync music to various WiFi speakers.  

At this point, I’m looking for a reasonable solution without breaking the bank. The cost between the Bluesound Node 2i and the B&W is like $150, so if I jump into that price point, then I would probably go with the B&W Formation Audio unit.  

Here are the links to the aforementioned units...

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/formation/audio

https://www.bluesound.com/products/node/

The Chromecast Audio was discontinued in Jan. 2019, so the page is no longer active.

Thanks in advance.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Roon Ready Endpoint /Music streamer recommendation
Reply #1 - 11/19/19 at 21:55:04

Owner of the infamous RED TORII and Dan the Redheaded Amp
  IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/20/19 at 02:20:44

I have a Sonos and wired for sound has an upgrade for 550 bucks that transforms it to high res. The cool thing about it is that sonos has 50 some apps that it supports. I like my radio by tune in for npr and kexp. The bridge II still needs  room core before the endpoints so a computer or nas has to be on the WiFi. That’s how I understand it anyway. After recovery from my dac purchase’ I’ll probably get the Sonos upgrade.

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #3 - 11/20/19 at 14:13:58

Quote:
     Posted on: Yesterday at 21:20:44
I have a Sonos and wired for sound has an upgrade for 550 bucks that transforms it to high res. The cool thing about it is that sonos has 50 some apps that it supports. I like my radio by tune in for npr and kexp. The bridge II still needs  room core before the endpoints so a computer or nas has to be on the WiFi. That’s how I understand it anyway. After recovery from my dac purchase’ I’ll probably get the Sonos upgrade.

Bikehappy1...I originally ruled out the Sonos Connect because That piece of equipment hasn’t been updated by the manufacture in a really long time. The wired for sound modified version seems like a nice upgrade.    I will definitely look into this unit along with the Bluesound and B&W unit.  The only drawback I could see is that it is not Roon ready, which is what I will be buying to interface my Qobuz subscription.  I think for anyone with a Sonos Connect.... the W4S upgrade is essential.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 11/22/19 at 16:48:25

“NEWS FLASH”....Just spoke with Wired 4 Sound, and while speaking with him regarding their modified Sonos Connect, he told me that they are in the testing phase of their new digital streamer.  The unit will be Roon Ready, handle all the big streaming services, can do DSD, and will cost sub $1000.  He indicated that it should be out for Christmas.  

Been reading not so great things on the Bluesound Node 2i on their Customer support chat site.  Lots of guys complaining that it has trouble with the Roon integration,  and saying that it should be pulled off the Roon site.  Great...looks like I may pull the Node 2i off the short list.

So for the time being I ordered up a Chromecast Audio to play around with.  For $50 bucks, this will keep me happy until I iron out what streamer/ Roon endpoint I want.

Dom

IP Logged
lobo
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 11/22/19 at 21:42:57

Have you looked at, Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra as an option. If anyone is interested, there is a couple on Ebay for a good price.

2xse84ufo 25th mods bridged-pontusII-SHD Studio-Liondias silver10 w15
  IP Logged
GroovySauce
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 12/12/19 at 07:39:15

I'd suggest looking at a Sonore MicroRendu. I've really enjoyed mine.

look for a B stock unit. Less $$ than a blue node and I found it to have far superior sound quality.

EDIT: I just realized you asked for Wifi. I say it would behoove you to connect via ethernet if at all possible.

Maximus NEO TT|ViV Rigid Float TA | Phasemation PP-200 or Hana ML | Sutherland Little Loco MK2 | Innuos ZENith MK3 | LampizatOr GA TRP | EMIA Remote Autoformer | STL "Super Tube Rectifier" STR-1002 | SRA Cables | PAP Quintet 15 1.6 Voxativ |Torus AVR15
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #7 - 12/12/19 at 22:55:28

Quote:
I'd suggest looking at a Sonore MicroRendu. I've really enjoyed mine.

look for a B stock unit. Less $$ than a blue node and I found it to have far superior sound quality.

EDIT: I just realized you asked for Wifi. I say it would behoove you to connect via ethernet if at all possible.

My mistake....I accidentally left that out.  Yes....a requirement would be to also include an Ethernet input as well.  

I have been actually looking at the microRendu. I would probably want to configure it with Uptone LPS 1.2, so the total coast for both units will be somewhat costly.    I will probably wind up going that route down the road.  

After purchasing the Chromecast Audio....I went on a research binge on chat forums.  I bought the Chromecast Ethernet adapter and will play around with that for while.  I am getting the new Bifrost TrueMultibit for Christmas, so once I tie that into the system via Toslink and the Ethernet adapter, I will see how that sounds.    I know the CCA has its limitations, so I don’t expect huge gains, but for the price it may do the trick in the short term to keep me busy.

Thanks for the input and recommendation.  

Dom

IP Logged
sperrey
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 02/28/20 at 13:56:42

Look for Allo DigiOne Signature ; it accepts a variety of OS (Volumio etc..) Roon ready.
SQ is excellent (especially with a linear PSU), value for money difficult to beat

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #9 - 02/29/20 at 20:42:29

I could also build you some Roon ROCK endpoints for about $300 shipped.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print