Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 18:44:16 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
CSP-3 "thumping" when turning off (Read 8936 times)
Ken Rafika

CSP-3 "thumping" when turning off
11/19/19 at 17:43:12

I purchased a new Tori Mk IV and a new CSP-3 a couple of months ago, both with 25th Ann mods.  I use powered Tekton subwoofers using the sub-out on the CSP-3.  When I turn the CSP-3 off, after a few seconds I get a very loud "thump...thump...thump" noise from the subs.  I had a CSP-3 previously, and it demonstrated no such result.

Any suggestions?

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: CSP-3 "thumping" when turning off
Reply #1 - 11/19/19 at 17:49:02

I hear these noises too on my Monoblocks with the 25th anniversary mods, and similar noises on my preamps and my Taboo Mk IV with the Mods. Just seems unavoidable. I put up with them and actually sometimes find them amusing, my wife generally acts as if I had passed gas. . . . .;)

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #2 - 11/19/19 at 18:05:29

Thanks, Lon.  I wonder if it's the mods?

Tekton Designs Electron spkrs; Tori MK IV and CSP-3 w/ 25th Ann Mods; OPPO 105D; Roon Quboz; ultraRendu; Teac UD503; Nordost Blue Heaven interconnects and Red Dawn spkr wire
If you want to find the truth in life, don't pass music bu -- Eric Burdon and the Animals
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/19/19 at 18:55:18

I'm convinced it's the mods. It is only happening on the items I have had modded. My guess is that it is the small tube used for voltage regulation.

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #4 - 11/19/19 at 19:06:13

Quick different subject -- have you experienced Steve's equipment platforms?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/19/19 at 19:27:35

Not me. I am using PS Audio PowerPlants as platforms and VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods under components and am VERY happy with those results. I've blown all my audio dollars for quite some time to come so won't be trying out the Decware platforms.

IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/19/19 at 23:48:27

I've taken to turning the volume off on power up and power down due to various noises since modifications.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
Ken Rafika

Reply #7 - 11/20/19 at 15:02:59

Yep.  Volume is always off whenever I turn on or off either unit.  Maybe it's just some by=product of the 25th Ann mods.

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/19 at 03:19:48

In pro world, it is taught to power up "in order of appearance," i.e. from source to amplifier, and to power down in reverse of that order. The power supply capacitors in every device seem to take pride in noisily announcing both their arrival and departure, such boisterous behavior thence passed on to every following device.

Some links for this question: “Amps on last and off first.” https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/amps-last-off-first/

And: "Powering Equipment On and Off in the Right Order." https://www.behindthemixer.com/pow-pop-powering-equipment-on-and-off-in-the-righ...

IP Logged
Edsonic
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/27/19 at 03:39:20

I forgot to add, pertinent to the OP, that the sub-woofer amplifier(s) should absolutely be the first thing turned off, then the main amplifier(s).

IP Logged
Delta 77

Reply #10 - 12/22/19 at 16:12:46

Okay,
I had my CSP3 modded.. After the modification the CSP3 makes scary pops and weird noises , in the tweets and woofers.. Forcing me to turn my amp (ZMA) On last and Off first.. Which in turn is no big deal, just don’t forget the order or rush it..

BUT,  my main question here on this IS,
 If I have my amp (ZMA) modded , will it (ZMA) make pops, and noises upon Start up and Shut down..??
IF so, how do you guys keep the pops out of your speakers , if using a modded amp..??

INNUOS-ZEN mk3(streamer)
HOLO-Spring3(dac)
DECWARE-Zrock2-25th
DENON-DP59L (TT)
DECWARE-ZP3
ARIC AUDIO-Passive pre
DECWARE-ZMA
TEKTON-Double Impact SE
TEKTON-Enzo sub x 2
PI AUDIO-UberBUSS
PIaudio/Hapa/Zenwave/TWL
DECWARE-CSP3-25th(HP amp)
ZMF ”Auteur”
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 12/22/19 at 17:37:53

Delta77,

I've had 25th anniversary mods done on my CSP3  preamp(1st) and Zen Mystery amp(2nd).  I get no turn off thump when using the ZMA only at turn off. There is some small noise when the voltage regulator tubes power down.

I suggest folks follow Steve's recommended powering up & down sequences. This involves turning down volumes all the way on the amp and preamp when powering down, turning off sources 1st, then preamp and finally the amplifier.  When I follow this sequence powering down, I hear just slight noise from the voltage regulator tubes clicking as they flicker off.

No need to worry about getting the 25th anniversary mods to your ZMA. One of the best uphrades I ever did. I also had Steve install some WBT silver binding posts, Decware silver RCA jacks, and a Furutech Rhodium IEC when the mods were done.  

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Archie
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/22/19 at 17:56:21

I have the same experience so I keep the ZMA volume off when powering up and down.  I only noticed the noises as a result of the CSP3 upgrades and not the ZMA (or ZP3, ZROCK2).  I've been leaving the CSP3 pots alone since I "set and forget" those.  I leave my ZR2 on, as Steve recommends.

ZLC
Technics 1200G TT w/ Ortofon Jubilee MC cart
ZMC1
ZP3 (25th A Mods)
ZR2 (25th A Mods)
CSP3 (25th A mods)
ZMA (25th A mods)
Homemade Big Betsy Speakers (F15s)
Silver Cabling
DIY Isolation platforms under amps & TT.
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 12/24/19 at 01:50:38

I feel for your Ken, and others having these issues. I have done serious modifications, closer to rebuilds finally to my Torii IV and CSP3, and no such noises. I have no sub in the equation though, and did not introduce the new VRs in the CSP3 as Steve has. I turn the amp and CSP3 on and off together with my PS Audio P5 regenerator as I have for years without problems. Loving my music system as a very good friend, I for one would prefer it remain predictably easy, and not to have to try and remember to reduce volume, power down in full sequence, or whatever.

I wonder if Steve can explain what is happening in his clear way, and if there are any other possible solutions. Knowing what is happening and why usually at least helps for me.

All Modified: PSA-P5>DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender>RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro/ZBIT/CSP3>OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV>Omega S-A-H-O monitors/SVS Micro3000>Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
Doug
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 12/27/19 at 04:57:34

My CSP3-25 Produces a screaming meemie-like sound if all of the volume controls on the preamp and my amp, an LFD NCSE, are not completely turned down for around 60 seconds at turn on and turn off.  The first few times it happened I nearly went into cardiac arrest!  It’s like standing next to a cop car when the siren is activated without your knowledge! I caught on rather quickly though, and it rarely happens any more.

Jay’s CD2T-Mk3
Denafrips Pontus II
ZROCK2 25th Mods
CSP3 25th & Custom Mods
PAP Quintets with Voxativ 1.6
First Watt J2 or Cary 300SEI
driving Voxativs—no crossover
LFD NCSE driving 15” Woofers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print