03/29/24 at 00:41:19 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie To Decware (Read 17253 times)
benzxc

Newbie To Decware
11/11/19 at 08:41:06

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and Decware in general.  I previously made a post in ZROCK2 board but thought I should introduce myself to the forum in general first!  This seems like a great forum full of resources and information.  And the Decware gears look really really nice...

In fact I just placed an order for an SE84UFO a few weeks ago and cannot wait to get the notification that it has shipped!  I own a pair of Betsy & Buck baffles from Caintuck Audio and absolutely love them.  Randy in Caintuck highly recommended that amp when I asked him for a recommendation; Geno also kindly recommended the amp when I stumbled onto his YouTube videos of the Betsy baffles.

Thanks everyone! Have a great day!

IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Re: Newbie To Decware
Reply #1 - 11/12/19 at 02:02:14

Hello Ben.
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you find here what you are seeking.

Brian

IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #2 - 11/12/19 at 11:39:35

Thank you, Brian!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #3 - 11/12/19 at 15:21:48

Welcome, Ben. I remember our correspondence on YouTube.  You made the right decision on the SE84.  For the money, it'll never be beat.

I saw your question earlier about pairing a Zrock with your Betsy & Buck's. It looks like no one has tried that. You may want to give that a try, though. It's bound to make a big improvement.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #4 - 11/12/19 at 23:10:33

Thank you, Geno! I am really excited about the SE84UFO. Can't wait!

I think I will give the Zrock2 a try - only downside is another months-long wait and obsessively checking the waiting list!

Ben

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/13/19 at 03:48:19

Welcome, Ben! For what it's worth I've found if you mildly think you will want a piece of Decware gear just put your name on the list. Before you know it a few months will have gone by. Also to note, it will be worth getting on the list now or before Black Friday. If it's anything like last year the wait will be more like 6 months.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/13/19 at 04:24:32

Hi Ben,

I can only agree with pursuitofnow...  And if you can, if your budget allows just go ahead and get 25 anniversary mods done to anything you can.  I know it may seem like crazy money, but it isn't.  I would venture a guess that anyone you talk with here has no regrets about them.  Thats my take anyway.  I just have to save a few pennies and send my ZP2 and Torii MKIV back to the Mothership for them now.  Then it will be room treatments....... probably each and everyone of us should start with in the first place Wink

Good Luck Sir

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #7 - 11/14/19 at 02:25:00

Thank you, litefootdan and pursuitofnow. I have decided to get the ZROCK2 with the mods! I have also decided to upgrade my SE84UFO, which is still listed as new on the waiting list, with the anniversary mods.

However, I don't see an option for the anniversary mod for the SE84UFO. Is this something I should send Sarah an email to get?

As for the Zrock2, are the "tube regulation mod" and the poly/beeswax bypass mod" collectively the anniversary mods?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #8 - 11/14/19 at 02:59:13

On the attached document you can see the mod listed for the SE84UFO.

And yes, those are the mods for the ZROCK2.

amods1_001.jpg

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #9 - 11/14/19 at 03:56:14

Perfect! Thank you, Lon!

IP Logged
pursuitofnow
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/14/19 at 15:58:44

Quote:
I have decided to get the ZROCK2 with the mods! I have also decided to upgrade my SE84UFO, which is still listed as new on the waiting list, with the anniversary mods.

Congrats! I'm sure you will enjoy them.

VPI Classic Signature | Koetsu Urushi Black | Bob's Sky 20 | ZP3 | Swiss Digital Fuse Box
DirectStream DAC (APS nickel transformers, Vocm mod)
ZTPRE | ZBIT | ZROCK2 | SE84UFO3
Omega Super 3 HO XRS | Deep 8
Zenwave D4 | PCR-11 | PI Audio Uberbuss
---
ZR 3
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #11 - 11/14/19 at 17:08:15

Just one question before I pull the trigger: is it worth listening to the gears - SE84UFO and/or ZROCK2 - in stock form for a good while before going for the anniversary mods and then experiencing the upgrade in all its glory?  Obviously, extra shipping costs to send those gears in for upgrades tip towards getting them upgraded off the bat, but just wanted to hear some thoughts on this.

Thanks guys for being so helpful!
Ben

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #12 - 11/14/19 at 17:10:14

Ben, my two cents:  I would just have them added as built. That way you'll have the best as it seasons in and only one break-in period, and only one waiting period. Might as well get the best sound from the get go!

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #13 - 11/14/19 at 21:46:21

Ben, If you can afford it, have it all done at the beginning. That way, all you have to do is enjoy it, without ever having to send it back for mods. Be sure to get the jupiter caps. And, like Lon said, it'll sound better as it seasons.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #14 - 11/14/19 at 22:59:52

Thanks Lon and Geno. I'll be sure to get the Jupiter caps where I can.  Must say I am getting way too excited for this!

IP Logged
lazb
Seasoned Member

Reply #15 - 11/14/19 at 23:13:53

benzxc, the excitement will resume when you listen but, sadly, it will branch off into some other kinds of anxiety as you wait and watch the "build list"!! Hang on, though, and the hand wringing and floor pacing will be more than amply compensated when the units arrive and your ears smile.

IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #16 - 11/15/19 at 14:02:23

Thanks lzb! I just pulled the trigger and sent Sarah an email to request the copper cap and bypass cap mod for the SE84UFO that I have on order on the waiting list now.

I think I need to limit myself to checking the wait list no more than twice per day!

IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #17 - 05/21/20 at 10:08:29

Just wanted to provide an update as to my listening experience with the SE84 and ZROCK2 in my system. I got the gears with all the mods and have been listening to them for the past four months or so. During this time I also got Randy's Lii F15.

I have been thoroughly enjoying my new systems (switching between the Betsy and Buck and F15 every once in a while). I am a bit surprised by the SE84 and the power it pumps out. My room is moderately sized and I almost never go above 9 o'clock when listening to digital sources. It gets loud! I'm pretty new to this hobby so I don't have much in the way of comparison but suffice it to say that I am really enjoying my music collection and have been spending much more of my time listening. I haven't really experimented with the hi and lo switches nor the bias switch. I just leave it as is and change the volume.

As for the ZROCK2, I think it really changed my system a great deal. Again, I have no experience with any equalizers but with the ZROCK2 in my system, everything sounds tighter and somehow warmer and I don't really miss my subwoofer anymore. I got rid of my subwoofer once I heard the ZROCK2. ZROCK2 is really a good piece for my system, at least for my needs and preferences. I leave the knob at more or less 3 o'clock.

As for my loudspeakers, I enjoy both the Betsy and Buck, and the F15s. When I first got the F15s, I loved it more than the Betsy (which I still really love). However, when I tried putting the Betsy back into the system, I understand what Geno meant when he said that the Betsy's are his favorite (hopefully not misquoting him - I recall him saying something to that effect but can't remember where). I don't have a favorite between the two but the Betsy has a very distinctive sound especially when I play strings or solo piano, which is very easy on the ears.

Very happy with my system as it is now. Maybe if I have more money to spend in the future I might upgrade some cables and interconnects, since I am using very cheap ones right now. But I love my system and cannot wait to start listening once I get home each day. However, I've been eyeing the Lii W15 bass drivers, which look very interesting. Anyone have experience running both the ZROCK2 and subwoofer or bass baffles? Wondering if it might be bit of an overkill.

Anyways, thanks for reading! Just wanted to share my very positive introduction into high fidelity audio!

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #18 - 05/21/20 at 12:06:50

Hi Ben. Glad to hear of your positive results. The next step would definitely be to get better speaker cable, interconnects and power cables. You have the equipment that will let you hear a big difference when you do this. I think that it’ll surprise you how much better it will get.

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #19 - 05/22/20 at 03:41:17

Thanks, Geno. Will have to save up a bit to be able to replace all of the cables and interconnects. Perhaps I'll upgrade them piece by piece instead of all at the same time! Thanks again!

IP Logged
hdrider
Seasoned Member

On the path with
Decware.

Reply #20 - 05/22/20 at 14:40:05

Welcome Ben- You put together a nice system and it sounds like you are one happy camper. Not a day goes by that our system brings a smile to our face. Enjoy and keep us posted on system and any changes. Happy listening, Chris.

CSP3, Rachael, ZP3, ZMC 1, Sony ES Bluray, Schitt Bitfrost DAC,Sota Star TT w/ FR-64, Hana SL Low Output Moving coil, Omega 7XRS Mk 2 walnut, DeepOmega 8 sub, Morrow Audio PH3 and MA3 IC's, Gamma Electrostatic phones.
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #21 - 05/23/20 at 18:50:20

Definitely piece by piece, Ben. It’s taken me 3 years to upgrade all of mine, and I still might change the power cables again - 4 of them.

I will never forget changing my speaker cabling out several years ago. I went from mid quality blue jean cables, to something a lot better. The difference was mind blowing!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #22 - 05/24/20 at 09:05:21

Thanks, Chris. I'm really glad I chose the equipment that I did to begin the journey into this hobby. Also glad that my wife is so far approving of the music and the real estate that the equipment is taking up in our living room.

Geno, would you mind sharing some suggestions as to speaker cables? I probably won't be upgrading them anytime soon but it would be nice to have an idea what they might be or cost. Thanks!

IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 05/24/20 at 12:51:14

Ben,

You might consider purchasing some 12awg Duelund oil impregnated wire to serve as your speaker cable. No connections necessary, just bare wire sounds best. It's relatively inexpensive at $15.95/meter at Parts Connexion. Unless you have really long runs, should cost you less than $100 for two runs.  

This cabling really sounds great with Lii Audio F15 drivers and Omega speakers. Here's a link.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/DUELUND-82323.html

Good luck with your journey.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #24 - 05/24/20 at 18:16:35

Ben, I use mapleshade double helix plus speaker cable:  

https://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Double-Helix-V2-Speaker-Cables_p_1225.html

It is pretty expensive - close to $500 for two 9’ runs. Also, it is kind of funky to deal with. I love the way it sounds though!

HK, you now have me interested in the Dueland cable. Is this what you are using? Great price on it!

Crown sub amp
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
  IP Logged
HockessinKid
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 05/24/20 at 18:36:38

Geno,

Using several Dueland 16AWG based interconnects. Had the 12AWG speaker cables in the system for several months, but got a great deal on some $$$ ZenWave Audio SMSG speaker cables. That's what I use now.

HK

Nottingham Interspace TT w/ Audio Technica AT-OC9XML cart + Modwright PH 9.0XT phono OR Modwright modded Cambridge CNX V2 > CSP3-25th Ann. preamp > ZMA-25th Ann. amp > PI Audio UberBUSS > Caintuck Audio Lii15 Magnum speakers > Snake River Audio & ZenWave cables
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #26 - 05/26/20 at 16:14:11

Thanks, Geno and HK!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print