Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 07:24:27 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ZROCK with Betsy & Buck (Read 3859 times)
benzxc

ZROCK with Betsy & Buck
11/08/19 at 02:03:06

Hi all,

I am very new to Decware and ordered an SE84UFO a while back - cannot wait to get it and start experiencing what everyone has been raving about!  :D

However, recently I have got my eyes on the ZROCK2.  My loudspeakers are the Betsy & Buck baffles offered by Caintuck Audio (the passive version).  While I am very happy with the sound of the speakers, I do find that the bass is a bit lacking for my tastes, even with the 10 inch Eminence drivers built into the Betsy and Buck baffles.  (Not lacking a lot, just want a little bit more.)  Being the passive version that I bought, I do not have the option of tweeking with the bass volume or crossover point.  Thus, I purchased a subwoofer to alleviate this issue.

While the subwoofer does provide enough bass to compliment the speakers, I am not a huge fan of the sound of the subwoofer.  I am not sure how to put it other than it sounds distracting to me, and even a bit fatiguing at points.  I have been experimenting with both the volume and crossover and just can't seem to find a satisfactory setup.  Thus, I have been looking for a way to get rid of the subwoofer from my system but also get some bass into it... hence the ZROCK2.

From what I read online, there is nothing but rave reviews about the ZROCK2.  However, I just want to make sure that it will be beneficial for my system and purpose.  I know that the Betsy drivers roll off quickly below 80 and the Eminence Alpha 10 rolls off below 60Hz (I think).  Will the ZROCK2 be able to give me the bass below such roll off point? 

Any experience running the ZROCK2 with either the Betsy baffles by themselves, or with a Betsy & Buck baffle?

Thanks all!
Ben

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: ZROCK with Betsy & Buck
Reply #1 - 11/11/19 at 13:19:41

I want to say first off Welcome!

Secondly, I have no first-hand experience with the speakers you own or any from Randy's line.

But I do own two ZROCK2 components, one fully modded, one not, and use them in two systems.

It's my educated guess that the ZROCK2 can't give you lower bass than you are getting without it. But it will change your perception of the bass you have, you'll feel that you have more bass and it will in fact readjust your perception of the entire frequency balance. I think you'll accomplish the "more bass" that you are after, just you won't get the actual lower frequency response that the speakers haven't been able to deliver.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #2 - 11/11/19 at 13:31:07

Thank you, Lon!  This seems like a great forum with abundant resources.

Wow, you have two ZROCK2s!  It must be a very special piece of gear.

A few follow up questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you use the ZROCK2 with analog or digital, or both?  Ideally I would like to use it with both, but I have much more CDs than I do vinyl, so if ZROCK2 is only recommended with CD, it would be fine with me.

2. I understand that the ZROCK2, in addition to creating the perception of more bass, can also improve the sound of poor recordings.  May I ask how often you use the ZROCK2 to improve the sound of recordings, or your system in general?  I know there is a bypass button on it to do a quick comparison between the "no-ZROCK2" sound and the sound with ZROCK2.  Does the ZROCK2 improve sound across the board (e.g. make good recordings sound even better), or only with poorly made recordings?

I am still on the fence on whether to get the ZROCK2.  While I see all these rave reviews about it, and it certainly seems like the perfect solution to my problems (lack of bass and bright sounding system/room), I, personally prefer a very simple system with just a volume and input control.  It is not really a matter of money but just personal preference in keeping things simple.  But the more I read about the ZROCK2 the more tempted I get.......

Anyways, thank you so very much for your insights!
Ben

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/11/19 at 13:50:28

Ben,

I do use the ZROCK2 with digital and analog, though like you I mostly listen to digital. I use it all the time, I have it between my preamp (ZTPRE) and amplifiers (SE84UFO3 Monoblocks with 25th Anniversary mods) in my main system and in between my Oppo UDP-205 and my Taboo Mk IV amp with 25th Anniversary mods in my second system.  I view it as a "room correction in a box" most of the time. It gets the tonal balance of my system RIGHT. So I do feel it improves both good and not so good recordings, and I do adjust it a bit from time to time between recordings, but mostly I leave it in its "sweet spot" where most every recording has the right "balance."

It does have a bypass, but immediate switching back and forth is problematic because it adds gain to the signal so the volume usually also needs to be adjusted when switching to bypass. One previous owner here made a big point of saying over and over he did not feel the ZROCK2 was completely transparent in bypass and he was probably right, but it's not altering the direct sound much at all.
after a dozen times or so "bypassing" and adjusting for comparison I just don't bypass any longer--it's clear to me that the ZROCK2 is just what my systems have needed and I just leave it engaged and enjoy my music.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #4 - 11/11/19 at 14:04:00

Thank you, Lon.  I am getting ever more tempted to get the ZROCK2, especially with Black Friday around the corner...

Ben

IP Logged
bikehappy1
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/16/19 at 21:14:02

I am anticipating a zrock2 soon. I ordered one before I got that email for the PSA DSD. Now I’ll have to stay home and listen to music because I spent too much money lately. That’s totally ok though!

Home: Torii MKIV-25, ZP3-25, HR-1’s, ZLC, DSR, DHC-1, PSA DSD, ZRock2, SA8005, Zenstiyx, VPI Prime, Hana ML, ZMC1.
Work: SE84UFO-25, Schiit modi, Trapeziums, MacBook air, Audirvana aiff. Also have a pair of ESS AMT 1C’s in workout room with a cxnv2.
  IP Logged
benzxc

Reply #6 - 11/17/19 at 11:52:01

I am also waiting for the ZROCK2. Was going to wait until Black Friday but decided that I couldn't wait that long! I can't wait to receive it!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print