Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/25/24 at 07:44:51 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Grand Floridian Society Jazz Band (Read 3155 times)
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Grand Floridian Society Jazz Band
11/04/19 at 13:43:08

Guys,

Just sitting here on the veranda at the Grand Floridian Hotel and reflecting on my stay.  While this was a Disney family vacation, I got a chance to sit back and enjoy some live Jazz music from the Grand Floridian Society Orchestra.  These guys have been around well over 20 years, and I must say that they are truly a class act.

I just purchased their 1995 CD “As Time Goes By”....as well as another female resident Harpist Player’s CD.  

The true magic of this hotel is that it transcends back to a time that is rarely seen these days.  True gentleman tipping their hats to the ladies and elegance at its finest!  The sound of a steam whistle that echoes every so often from the paddle steam boats in the lagoon.  

Also....the hotel background music that is slowly faded in at like 7:30 AM, consists of music from the 1920’s, ‘30s, and the Ragtime Era.  This is what truly puts the icing on the cake.  

Needless to say I have started to compile a Qobuz songlist from the aforementioned, and have really begun to appreciate the music.  This was music that I can remember listening to as kid at my Grandparents house.

Below is a live stream YouTube video of the Grand Floridian Orchestra  from last year.  I hope you enjoy...

https://youtu.be/jSswQy9IizE

If anyone has some favorites of the 20’s and 30’s, please shoot me a PM or post them here.  It would be truly appreciated.

Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Grand Floridian Society Jazz Band
Reply #1 - 11/04/19 at 15:00:49

Dom, I have many favorites of the '20s and '30s, especially the Ellington Orchestra and various outfits put together by Eddie Condon, and Louis Armstrong's music of these decades.

I recommend looking for material on three labels: Jazz Oracle, The Old Masters and Retrieval. Carefully mastered music and good notes!

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #2 - 11/05/19 at 17:37:08

Hey Lon... thank you for the info.  I’ll will definitely take a look at those labels to explore that era.   While my downtime doesn’t give me the the opportunity to do a lot of critical listening, I do have background music playing almost all day long that comprises of classical and single instrument compilations.  Adding this era to my background music will be a nice addition.  

Thanks again,
Dom

Rasp. Pi 4 [Roon], Schiit Bifrost True Multibit DAC, ZBIT, ZROCK2, My Audio Cables Ultra Silver+, ZSB, CSP2+ 25th, DAG Cables, DHC1, Torii MKIV 25th /2 White Zen SE84C+ 25th mono’s, Rega P2 Turntable,Rega Fono MK5, Velodyne Dual Firing Sub, ERR’s [Bubbinga Wood]
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/05/19 at 19:25:15

Here's a title I can recommend from Retrieval: "Lost Chords: White Musicians and their Contributions to Jazz 1915 to 1945"--a companion 2 disc set for a fascinating (and hefty) book of the same title.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/lost-chords--white-musicians-and-their-contribution...

HR-1,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod; Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD, DAC Mk II, P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls, Reference spkrcbls; Mapleshade SamsonV3; VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones: Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #4 - 11/07/19 at 06:24:53

Thanks Lon....I will definitely check out that recommendation.  Right now i am listening to the Qobuz Playlist Music Broadway Songs of the 1930’s and 40’s....and it’s enjoyable.

http://open.qobuz.com/album/o909vd9q6ldla

I also seem to like some of the work from the California Ramblers, but most of which is just instrumental.   

http://open.qobuz.com/album/oaglpzv537iac

Luckily I get a chance to listen to a lot of music while I am at work burning the midnight oil and tend to keep the music on the lighter side.

Question... is your copy the CD  the Japan import or the US version?  Do you happen to know the difference?  On Amazon they are fetching like 35 bucks for CD’s in very good condition, to 55 brand new.

Thanks again for the recommendations.  

Dom

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #5 - 11/07/19 at 11:13:38

I don't do any streaming, I'm sure that's a great playlist.

Of this early material my cds are US copies. I wouldn't pay too much. eBay often has some options as well as amazon market sellers.

California Ramblers are cool! The last time I binged on music of this vintage I listened to a lot of Jack Teagarden, one of my very favorites as a sideman and leader and a lot of the Original Dixieland Jazz Band, who recorded from 1917 through the forties in various incarnations. I confess I am most interested in instrumental music from this time period, though certain singers such as Louis Armstrong, Jack Teagarden and Fats Waller are favorites.

IP Logged
Dominick
Seasoned Member

Still like that old
time Rock and Roll!!

Reply #6 - 11/07/19 at 20:23:18

Yes I was able to find that material on Amazon. I concur that the music from that time period I most enjoy as instrumental music.  Louis Armstrong is enjoyable to listen to...I’ll give the others you just mentioned a try.  

The one thing I do like about about streaming is that it lets me explore artists in an era that I am not too familiar with..especially stuff that goes back a century.    

I do miss the days of when I used to actively collect CD’s.  At this stage...i am more focused on slowly building up my limited vinyl collection since they are making a comeback.

Last year  I had  spent the good part of 6 months converting my entire CD collection to a dedicated hard drive to preserve it and make the collection more easily accessible on the fly.  

Once again thank you for your input.  I has been very helpful.

Dom

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print