04/18/24 at 14:04:49 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Piano Lid Angles (Read 4470 times)
Brian
Seasoned Member

Piano Lid Angles
10/31/19 at 03:22:28

I have a question for you piano players.
Do the prop sticks of Grand pianos come in a variety of lengths so to prop open the lid at the player's choice of varying amounts so he can choose how much sound is going to be reflected to the audience by the lid?

I have not seen a stick with adjustable length, nor a lid with a selection of stick attachment points, but perhaps some are made that way.

Is there any choice of lid angle?  

Thank you, Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Re: Piano Lid Angles
Reply #1 - 10/31/19 at 04:20:59

That's interesting Brian. I don't believe I've ever seen a variation of the piano lid support that would allow adjustable opening over the "harp." To be honest I've always played with the lid closed . . . .

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/01/19 at 05:25:46

Thank you Lon.
I think it is an interesting consideration. It seems to me the sound to the audience would be different in character, not only louder or quieter with the different amount of reflection. I mean I think some frequencies would reflect more than others.  

Brian

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #3 - 11/01/19 at 12:13:45

Hmmm. . . I'm not so sure that there would be a great difference for an audience MORE open than standard, and not much of a difference until one got to about one two thirds less open than standard. But I could be wrong! Someone should experiment.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/02/19 at 04:03:12

Yes! I think an experiment is called for.

Brian

IP Logged
Joey

Reply #5 - 11/02/19 at 15:22:07

My Kawai RX2 had a 3 inch as well as half open and full stick, all three providing different sound in my 20 by 30 room.
 My current 6-4 Mason&Hamlin only has the 3 inch and full stick.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #6 - 11/02/19 at 21:49:30

This would have to be one of the more interesting yet simple questions ever asked. I remember recording my father playing many years ago, and I asked him the same question. He was playing an upright at the high school hall and said that the acoustics of the room were more important in that case than the lid itself. I understood his advice, but I preferred the lid to be part way open.
Mic placement was also very important, but that is another story altogether.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/04/19 at 00:26:28

"This would have to be one of the more interesting yet simple questions ever asked."

Ha Ha Ha!
Thank you, 4krow.
You made me laugh.

Brian

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #8 - 11/04/19 at 01:48:36

Brian,

The only time I have ever wanted to invent something was for a toilet. Yes, a stick that holds the lid Part Way up. "Tell me honey, are you an optimist or a pessimist?"

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/Audio Nirvana 8" bass drivers/Xiang Seng DAC/ LR Audio Computer/Rega Apollo R CDP/Emotiva ERC3 CDP/BPT 3.0 power cond.
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #9 - 11/04/19 at 02:11:31

If a grand piano is on stage, the angle of the lid would be critical to projecting the sound to the audience.   What comes to mind is past experiments with my radial drivers.  Some of the prototypes that were full-range used a CD as a reflector mounted above the horizontal radial driver.  From the sweet spot, the angle had to be within around 5 degrees of perfect or you stopped hearing the highs.  This angle proved to be close to 45 degrees, go figure.  I am absolutely certain that when piano makers decided on the length of that stick, one was 50 feet or more away as the other was slowly adjusting the lid angle.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Brian
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/04/19 at 03:47:54

See?! I knew it was critical. Something just made me think the audience would hear a different tone spectrum if the lid angle were changed.

Thanks, Steve.

Brian

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print