Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/28/24 at 23:24:52 

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Just received my new Zrock2 - WOW! (Read 33016 times)
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Re: Just received my new Zrock2 - WOW!
Reply #50 - 08/12/20 at 19:21:20

That’s wonderful, thanks!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 08/14/20 at 04:34:21

Is there any advantage and or risk to using a better power cable with the ZRock?

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 08/14/20 at 07:05:56

I have always found nicer power cords better, at least the ones that fit my tastes and needs. I have had a few that others think are really good that I have not liked though. I also prefer having a variety myself, giving me flexibility for matching really well with each component, especially as I introduce new components into the system blend. Sometimes a clearer and leaner one is better, and sometimes a warmer and richer one fits better, but all I like are pretty neutral seeming for the most part. Every time I move cables around, I do tend to find interesting results, always finding one or another better sounding for given components, and that, in turn, making the whole nicer.

Never heard of any possible risk with any well made audio cables. They all  seem to deliver the basic power. It is just that they do it with various levels of finesse and emphasis, sounding different depending on ends, metals, gauges, dielectrics, geometry, shielding, damping, etc.

All Modified: Balanced Transformer-DIY Strip/Shunyata Defender-RevolutionMacMini/Amarra-KTE Singxer/Gustardx20pro-ZBIT-CSP3-OldChen 300B/845, Torii IV, Simple Wave 300B-HR1/SVS Micro3000sub-Pi PCs-DIY PCs, ICs, USB, I2S, Speaker-SR and aluminum w ball bearing feet
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 08/14/20 at 11:06:58

Thanks Will for the detailed response.  Was just making sure the ZBox is happy with other power cables.

The ZBox doesn’t have a power switch, is it supposed to remain on perpetually cooking the tube?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #54 - 08/14/20 at 12:44:13

I too have found power cords make a significant difference to the ZROCK2. And yes, it's designed to be left on at all times, the tube is long-lasting in this device.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 08/14/20 at 14:01:16

I absolutely love the ZBox, it was perfect for me. It helps to better impedance match the Border Patrol to my amp.  The Schiit Loki was terrible, suckEd the life out of everything, the Roon EQ is much better.  

The Border Patrol SE-i, Hegel, and the ZBox with Dueland interconnects is a great triad.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #56 - 08/14/20 at 14:35:45

So, is the Border Patrol what you were looking for? I’ve been interested in it since I first read about it. I have the PS Audio JR, and would like your opinion about how the Border compares to the PS Audio.

Thanks,

Geno

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #57 - 08/14/20 at 15:54:41

Glad you are digging it! I figured the Schiit EQ would be subpar. . . from what I have read online. Roll a few tubes and keep having fun.

HR-1,ZTPRE,ZBIT,ZROCK2,SEWE300B,CSP3-25mod,Taboo MkIV;Rega RP3 all GrooveTracer mods;PSAudio:PST+DSD,P15,NPC,PowerBases,AC-12 pwr cbls,Reference spkrcbls;Mapleshade SamsonV3;VooDoo:Cremona+Amati interconnects, IsoPods; headphones:Sennheiser HD800S,ZMF Ori,Oppo PM1
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 08/14/20 at 18:21:26

Do you think something like this would be good?  I like the idea of it being from 1960’s England 😂

https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/preamp-tubes/products/brimar-cv4003-12au7

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #59 - 08/14/20 at 18:23:51

Yes, probably. I've tried a Brimar in my ZROCK2 and though it's not one that "synergizes" best with my system it's a good tube.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #60 - 08/14/20 at 18:29:17

I wasn’t able to find any of your top 3. Where do you get them?

I’m an Upscale customer so they’re convenient.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #61 - 08/14/20 at 18:32:48

I generally buy off eBay. I just keep looking and see what shows up. I have had very very good luck on eBay with tubes--nothing to complain about.

You may wish to inquire what tubes Decware would offer in the 12AU7 replacement category. The Sylvania that he recently shipped me is one of the bet of its types I've ever had. And his selecting, testing and matching are thorough and can be trusted--when you get one of his tubes it's fully operational and balanced.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 08/14/20 at 19:03:49

Cool. What’s the name and number of the Sylvania?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #63 - 08/14/20 at 19:41:50

What he sent this time was a Sylvania 8691 which is a 12AU7 variant, often listed as a 12AU7W--generally a military (JAN) tube. It's a bit on the warm/bassy side, which works well in my systems.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 08/14/20 at 19:44:34

Yes, warm bassy works for men too. Was the Brimar not that?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #65 - 08/14/20 at 19:49:54

No, the Brimar was more neutral and a bit dry in my system.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 08/14/20 at 20:26:03

Hi Geno - yes, I really like the Border Patrol SE-i and have sold my DirectStream Junior.  The DSJ is a great DAC, but I’m liking the easy breezy ways of the Border Patrol.  It’s difficult to declare one as being better, they’re just different.  The BP is far more forgiving.  Gary Dews offers free shipping and a 14 day trial.  I asked him to break mine in prior to shipment so I’d be ready to go out if the gate instead of spending the 14 days on breaking in.  It’s worth giving it an audition, the value proposition is great.  By selling my entire DSJ/Matrix rig I was able to buy all sorts of stuff, the BP and the used ZBox, upgraded my amp and new Duelund interconnects.

As I’ve mentioned here, and at length on the PSA forums, while I enjoyed the DSJ, I have soured on the whole upsample to the moon approach.  The BP feels more natural.  Does is color the sound?  It does. But I’m not a purist and I find it’s coloration very pleasing.

Is the BP my forever DAC?  Not likely as I like to switch things up after a number of years.  But I am thrilled with the BP SE-i/ ZBox/ Hegel triad.  It was the right move for me, no question.  

And I figure this is a good time to sell DSJ’s before PSA offers its replacement.  Mine sold in less than 24 hours.  I got $2600 for the DSJ, Matrix and Mocha I2S.  Fair enough.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #67 - 08/14/20 at 20:41:09

Geno, also pay attention to your amp/ preamps input impedance.  Border Patrol recommends at least 20K.  My Hegel was only 10K, and while it sounded good, inserting the ZBox (100K) certainly elevated the sound.

IP Logged
Geno
Seasoned Member

Without music, life
would be a mistake.

Reply #68 - 08/14/20 at 21:13:47

Thanks Man. I appreciate the reply. May have to try one to satisfy my curiosity. Definitely more economical, even with the extras.

(2)SE84UFO(Balanced Monoblocs) OR Sansui AU-222
Crown sub amp
Cambridge Audio CXN(ModWright) • ZBIT
SL-1210MK5(KAB Mods) Soundsmith Aida MKll cart • Darlington Labs MP-7
Otari MX5050-Bll2 R2R
ZLC Power Cond.
Lii Audio PT-10/W-15 in open baffles
  IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 08/14/20 at 22:24:49

Lon - is this the one you’re talking about?

“ 12AU7WA/6189 Sylvania Military/Commercial Grade”

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #70 - 08/14/20 at 22:59:00

Yes. That's the one. There are a lot of GE out there too, and they are probably pretty good, but the Sylvania Steve sent surprised me in a very good way.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 08/14/20 at 23:23:18

That AudioTubes website has them for $20, as well as some other similar ones.  The website you sent with all,the detailed descriptions.  Poorly done website for finding stuff, no search, have to read through the whole thing!

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #72 - 08/15/20 at 02:55:43

Aloha Lon - do you use the 12AT7’s or just the 12AU7’s?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #73 - 08/15/20 at 03:15:02

I'm using 12AU7 since I put the ZBOX back into service in the headphone system. When I was using the ZBOX in the past I had a pair of Decware SE34 Monoblocks (no longer offered) and was using the ZBOX as a sort of preamp for these and the greater gain from the 12AT7 was welcome.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #74 - 08/15/20 at 03:16:50

Regarding Brent Jesse's site: as I mentioned above I haven't bought tubes from him. But I find things easily enough, what he has in stock is below the descriptions and I use a "Find" search to find the tube types on the admittedly long page.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #75 - 08/15/20 at 04:45:15

Yes, it’s a very new old stock website design, circa 1995, lovely tone 😂

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. Dick

Reply #76 - 08/15/20 at 05:05:16

Hey old designs don't bother me. At least there's not videos everywhere-- that annoys the heck out of me!

There is some very useful information on his pages.

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #77 - 08/15/20 at 06:01:45

Agreed, the info is great.  Have you tried to order anything?  That’s where it really gets back to the mid 1990’s 😂😂😂

IP Logged
DancingSea
Seasoned Member

Reply #78 - 08/16/20 at 03:32:47

When shopping for tubes, do you guys buy the “buffer” or “line” grade for the ZBox/ ZRock?  Is there a meaningful disadvantage to saving the money vs the higher grades?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print