Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
03/29/24 at 00:13:07 

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torii Mk IV with Chartwell LS3/5A speakers? (Read 3324 times)
bloodlemons
Verified Member

Torii Mk IV with Chartwell LS3/5A speakers?
10/21/19 at 00:10:46

Hello! I am brand new to the forum. Over the weekend, I put in an order for the Torii Mk IV but have been doing additional research since then and have started to doubt my choice in pairing with my less-efficient Chartwell LS3/5A speakers. Here are the pertinent details:

Frequency response      70Hz to 20kHz, ±3dB
Nominal impedance      11Ω
Sensitivity      83dB SPL (2.83V, 1m)
Maximum output      95dB for a pair at 2m
Bass/midrange      110mm
Tweeter      19mm Dome tweeter
Recommended amplifier power      25 to 50 watts unclipped programme

Has anyone tried this combination before? Will the Torii be slightly/almost underpowered for my speakers, or am I worried for no reason? Suggestions and anecdotes appreciated. Thanks!

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Re: Torii Mk IV with Chartwell LS3/5A speakers?
Reply #1 - 12/24/19 at 18:23:24

Firstly, I think you'll love your Torii!!!!!!!  Depending on what your budget is, you may want to consider maxing the amplifier out.  BeesWax Caps, stepped attenuator, 25th Mods... EVERYTHING you can afford.  I remember when I bought my Torii IV, I thought I was really spending a lot.  Now I feel that every cent I spend on Decware gear I am happy to part with.  I know I'll be receiving far more in value while listening.

Wow, that was a "rant" if you will, sorry for going off topic.

There are lots of factors here.  Which types of music do you enjoy, how big is your listening space, how loud do you like to listen to music?  And on and on.

I was happy when I had Acoustic Research, KLH, and Advent speakers when first bought my Torii.  I'll be honest, my tastes have changed and I listen to more efficient speakers in general. But I do still have some of those vintage classics.  And I do listen to them with solid state amplification.  They pretty  much just got in the way of how incredible the Torii is.  It is a splendidly articulate amplifier.  I think it is best treated with crossover-less speakers.  

I'm thinking you'll be just fine with the Chatsworth LS3/5A's.  

Coincidentally, I've just put in an order for the Meniscus Audio Continuum II speakers.  They were created to mimic your speakers, so we both may be in similar boats!  Also, if by chance you are in the KC area, you can certainly bring your speakers over and run them on my Torii Wink

Happy Holidays Sir,

Dan

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Verified Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/19 at 23:48:22

Thanks, Dan. I did eventually change my order to a Zen Mystery Amp with a lot of the available upgrades. According to an email I received yesterday, my amp is in the testing stage, so hopefully it will be on its way to me soon!

Enjoy your holidays!

IP Logged
litefootdan
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 12/25/19 at 17:13:50

Wow! Thats very cool!  I've never talked to a person who isn't wonderfully happy with their ZMA.  Congratulations.  I bet the combination will be so pleasant.  

Can you expand on your speakers?  How long have you had them, have you had any other speakers you really enjoy, what are their strengths, what would you like more from them?

Any way, Happy Holidays, hope your day is a great one,

Dan

Ortofon 2M Bronze | Merrillized AR "The Turntable" | ZP 2 | SE84UFO25 | HDT | Jensen Alnico 15's on the low "OB"
  IP Logged
bloodlemons
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/31/19 at 05:51:20

I've had my Chartwell LS3/5a's for maybe a year and a half. As you may know, LS3/5-type speakers in general are modeled on early-'70s BBC near-field mobile studio monitors. In that respect, mine are much like all other similar models, with the small exception being that mine are gussied up in dark ebony veneer. I've ordered an ebony base and knobs for my ZMA; should make for a tidy-looking package!

My other main speakers are/were Klipsch Forte II's, a pair my father bought new in the early '90s and handed down to me with his same-era Carver gear. I have no real complaints about the Klipsch units beyond the fact that they take up a lot of space and really sound best LOUD, which isn't always practical. I am in my mid-40s and spent my time in loud bands and louder venues in my younger years. These days I am more interested in full, detailed sound at more reasonable volumes.

I came across the Chartwells accidentally, simply wandering around my local audio shop, Gig Harbor Audio here in Washington State. I was not looking for speakers! In fact, I think I was just getting my old Harman Kardon A500 given the once-over by the tech there. Anyway, I walked into the next listening room and they had a floor demo pair of LS3/5a's playing a female vocal/light rock album I was not familiar with via a Primaluna amp, IIRC. I was immediately impressed with the richness and "musicality" of the sound, and was astounded when I realized there was no subwoofer involved whatsoever. Which is kind of funny, since LS3/5a's don't have a particularly strong bass response in general. What they do have is, in my opinion, a kind of fullness and "right-ness" of tone overall that works for me, and a great deal more pleasant mid-range detail than I was used to from the Forte II's.

I didn't buy the Chartwells for several months, but I did keep thinking about them. I can't remember exactly what made me pull the trigger. I can say that Eric, the purveyor of Gig Harbor Audio, gave me a pretty sweet deal, but it was still by far the most I'd ever spent on a piece of audio gear to that point. Now, of course, my imminent ZMA holds that title and I expect that to remain the case for quite some time, maybe forever.

I have, just over the last few weeks, added stereo subs to my system, two REL T-Zero modules crossed-over to pick up where the LS3/5a's drop off on the low end. I am very happy with the results. I definitely waited too long to experiment with augmenting my low end -- probably the result of listening to those Klipsch canons for so many years, where low end was never a serious issue.

I hope that answers your questions. My ZMA is currently "testing," I believe, so hopefully I'm not too far away from putting it all together sometime very soon.

IP Logged
bloodlemons
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 12/31/19 at 06:05:19

Also, I just had a chance to take a look at the Meniscus Continuum II page. Are these only available as a kit? The design theory and specs definitely look like they are right up my alley, hypothetically. Are you building your own kit?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print